Apple Pay support expands to over 50 more US banks and credit unions [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2016
Following a market expansion into Singapore, Apple on Tuesday announced Apple Pay integration with 59 new U.S. card issuing banks and credit unions, bringing the total number of supported domestic financial institutions to 1,199. [Updated]

In what has become a monthly ritual, Apple posted the batch of Apple Pay additions to its running list of participating banks and credit unions. New institutions include:

• Access Federal Credit Union
  • Alcoa Tenn Federal Credit Union
  • Audubon Savings Bank
  • Bank of Stockton
  • Barrington Bank & Trust Company N.A.
  • Beverly Bank & Trust Company N.A.
  • Champlain National Bank
  • Community Trust Bank
  • Connected Credit Union
  • Country Club Bank
  • Crystal Lake Bank & Trust Company N.A.
  • Englewood Bank & Trust
  • Financial Horizons Credit Union
  • Financial Plus Credit Union
  • First & Farmers National Bank
  • First Enterprise Bank
  • First Metro Bank
  • First National Bank of Chadron
  • First State Bank
  • First State Bank of Porter
  • FirstCapital Bank of Texas N.A.
  • Frontier Community Credit Union
  • General Electric Credit Union
  • Georgia's Own Credit Union
  • Greenville Federal Credit Union
  • Hinsdale Bank & Trust Company
  • Journey Federal Credit Union
  • Kentucky Employees Credit Union
  • Lake Forest Bank & Trust Company
  • Libertyville Bank & Trust Company
  • Metropolitan Bank
  • Midwest Bank
  • Mutual Security Credit Union
  • National JACL Credit Union
  • North Iowa Community Credit Union
  • Ohio HealthCare Federal Credit Union
  • Old Plank Trail Community Bank N.A.
  • Orange County's Credit Union
  • Otis Federal Credit Union
  • Pacific Postal Credit Union
  • Picatinny Federal Credit Union
  • PNC/BNY Mellon-Fidelity
  • PrimeTrust Financial Federal Credit Union
  • Queensborough National Bank & Trust Company
  • Schaumburg Bank & Trust Company N.A.
  • SouthWest Bank
  • St. Charles Bank & Trust Company
  • State Bank of Cross Plains
  • State Bank of the Lakes
  • Stock Yards Bank & Trust
  • Town Bank
  • Union Savings Bank
  • Union State Bank of Fargo
  • United Bank of Michigan
  • University Credit Union
  • University Credit Union
  • Village Bank & Trust
  • Wheaton Bank & Trust Company
  • Wintrust Bank

In February, Apple Pay's U.S. support infrastructure reached 1,000 participating card issuers, a milestone for the nascent mobile payments platform. The company regularly adds to its list as smaller regional banks and credit unions around the country jump on board.

Apple Pay was announced in 2014 and first saw release in the U.S., later expanding to the UK, Australia and Canada. Apple's payment service reached the huge Asian market of China in February. Most recently, Apple Pay launched in Singapore on Monday through a partnership with American Express.

Update: Although the University of Wisconsin Credit Union briefly appeared to have been removed from the Apple Pay roster, the institution is now simply listed as "University of Wisconsin."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    NFC payments just saved me today when u went to the grocery store. Left the house, realized I forgot my wallet and was happy I had my iPhone with me knowing I could pay with it. 
    jbdragonMacsAlways
  • Reply 2 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I was hoping (based on one of Apple's patents they were granted) that Apple would lead the way with anonymous person-to-person money transfers, treating these transactions same as cash.

Unfortunately, if the US transitions to a digital money economy, there will never be any such thing as private spending again. Every transaction will be recorded and reported (and probably taxed as well). The alternatives are barter or other non-FRN transactions. Although what Apple is doing is remarkable, it (not to mention other forms of digital money) should never be the only option.
    edited April 2016 sirlance99lostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 9
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    I was hoping (based on one of Apple's patents they were granted) that Apple would lead the way with anonymous person-to-person money transfers, treating these transactions same as cash.

Unfortunately, if the US transitions to a digital money economy, there will never be any such thing as private spending again. Every transaction will be recorded and reported (and probably taxed as well). The alternatives are barter or other non-FRN transactions. Although what Apple is doing is remarkable, it (not to mention other forms of digital money) should never be the only option.
    The ONLY way for Apple to "lead the way with anonymous person-to-person money transfers" would be if it ever available on any platform. I would love for this to be a thing but in reality, not everyone has a iPhone. 
  • Reply 4 of 9
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    The ONLY way for Apple to "
    lead the way with anonymous person-to-person money transfers" would be if it ever available on any platform. I would love for this to be a thing but in reality, not everyone has a iPhone. 
    That's true. Won't someone think of the sizable loser community in all this??
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 5 of 9
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

The ONLY way for Apple to "lead the way with anonymous person-to-person money transfers" would be if it ever available on any platform. I would love for this to be a thing but in reality, not everyone has a iPhone. 
    No, but hundreds and hundreds of millions of people do- and heavily weighed towards people who have and spend money-  which is enough. 
  • Reply 6 of 9
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Kinda OT, but it was (geeky) fun surprising Havertys (a furniture retailer) with Apple Pay this weekend.  They had no idea they supported it, of course.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Kinda OT, but it was (geeky) fun surprising Havertys (a furniture retailer) with Apple Pay this weekend.  They had no idea they supported it, of course.
    Ya, I did it Round Table Pizza. I saw the NFC symbol on the scanner and figured I'd give it a try, and was reaching up with my Apple Watch, and the person there didn't think it would work, and then BAM, it did!!! Support is spreading, just slowly. Even though they may not advertise Apple Pay support at most places, it does work. Works at Food for Less also. That was another surprise for the person there. All you can do is give it a try. Use Credit, don't do Debit. Having dealt with fraud on my main credit card 3 times in 3 years and the hassle that causes, I try to use Apple Pay as much as I can. Online, I'll use Apple Pay IF I can , but in general the only option is PayPal, which is still better then giving out my credit card into. If you use PayPal, make sure they don't have direct access to your bank account. As in not entering your number from your checks. Use your Credit Card ONLY for the protections you get with a credit card. You don't want them to have direct access. That's as bad as CurrectC otherwise.
    MacsAlways
  • Reply 8 of 9
    This flood of smaller bank adopting Apple Pay over the last couple months leads me to believe that Apple has instituted some professional services program to help them integrate and support the backend technology. Some of these banks are barely able to update their letterhead when their phone number changes. 
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 9 of 9
    It's great that more and more financial institutions are getting on the Apple Pay train. Now give us more stores!

As an Apple stockholder, I would be fine with Apple GIVING the stores terminals in exchange for a five year contract to guarantee Apple Pay support.