First look: Apple's new rose gold 12" MacBook with Intel Skylake CPU

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 49
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,008member
    apple ][ said:
    So thin and so light, and they look great too. I haven't tried the keyboard on one of them yet, but I wonder how that is, since it's so slim.
    I always play with the 2015 MacBook, which has the same keyboard as the 2016 model, when I visit my local Costco here in Japan.  I use Macs at home and at the office, both desktops and notebooks.  I also use iPads.  And let me tell you, the MacBook keyboard offers virtually no "push-down" (tactile feedback).  It's hardly different from typing on the iPad's glass screen.  Believe me, I've spent lots of time with it.  I've tried to like it, but it just isn't a normal keyboard by any stretch of the imagination.  You can try it yourself, but in the end you'll find what I am saying is true.  Perhaps it cannot be helped in that thin chassis, but if tactile feedback is going to be this bad, Apple might as well go all the way and eliminate physical keys altogether:

    http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/11/03/apple-patents-switch-less-force-touch-keyboard-for-mac
  • Reply 22 of 49
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    apple ][ said:
    These new MacBooks are real nice.

    So thin and so light, and they look great too. I haven't tried the keyboard on one of them yet, but I wonder how that is, since it's so slim.

    If somebody doesn't need mega power, then I can definitely see these as being useful for certain people.
    It makes me dream of the 12 inch Macbook Pro. 12 inch hits the sweet spot for portability.

    >:x
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 23 of 49
    pentaepentae Posts: 36member
    Terrible - They could have squeezed a usb-c on each side to make the machine far more usable. Why hasn’t the 13” MBA upgrade in this same form factor with a retina display come out already? Quit fucking us around Apple - millions of us are waiting to make the upgrade.
    entropyselijahg
  • Reply 24 of 49
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I bought the previous model and I love everything about it except one.  The new keyboard. I'm a pretty fast touch typist and I just can't type fast on this thing without making a bunch of mistakes. It's almost like typing on nothing. 

    The size, weight, speed, battery life, even the one port are no problems for me, but after almost a year, I still can't get used to the new keyboard. Maybe if you are a "hunt and peck" type typist it won't be a problem. If they update the Macbook Pros and retain the old keyboard, I will seriously think about going back to the Pros.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 9,635member
    Marvin said:
    appex said:
    Single USB port is a deal breaker. Bring Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 Type C Generation 2 and SDXC with maximum speed (300 MB/s) read/write speed.
    The single port is a limitation but there are options like the following:

    http://www.amazon.com/HT-UC001-Shuttle-Delivery-MacBook-ChromeBook/dp/B019R9ILTG



    There are cheaper models that reduce the number of ports. TB3 would be better but USB C satisfies entry-level use where TB3 would serve primarily as a display output.

    In terms of performance, the Macbook is about 1/3 the performance of a quad-core MBP. Anyone upgrading from 2008-2010 Macbook Pros would find it to be faster than what they are used to. Price is a bit high but that's just because of the base spec. If you put 8GB/256GB in either the 11" or 13" Air, it's $1199 so the Macbook with a Retina display is $100 more.

    They could always have a 128GB model Macbook but the SSD is soldered to the motherboard, which makes upgrades impossible. The Macbook price will come down with component prices but it won't be able to hit $899. If they can get it to $1099, they can discontinue the 13" Air and just maintain a couple of entry 11" models.

    If you really need such a dongle gadget then the Macbook is not for you. Buy something else. Why try to make it into something it is not? It is not a Macbook Pro or anything else. It is targeted at a specific segment of the Mac market that wants simplicity and easy portability. Those trashing it should realize not everybody thinks like you do.
    edited April 2016 ai46
  • Reply 26 of 49
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    lkrupp said:
    Marvin said:
    The single port is a limitation but there are options like the following:

    http://www.amazon.com/HT-UC001-Shuttle-Delivery-MacBook-ChromeBook/dp/B019R9ILTG



    There are cheaper models that reduce the number of ports. TB3 would be better but USB C satisfies entry-level use where TB3 would serve primarily as a display output.

    In terms of performance, the Macbook is about 1/3 the performance of a quad-core MBP. Anyone upgrading from 2008-2010 Macbook Pros would find it to be faster than what they are used to. Price is a bit high but that's just because of the base spec. If you put 8GB/256GB in either the 11" or 13" Air, it's $1199 so the Macbook with a Retina display is $100 more.

    They could always have a 128GB model Macbook but the SSD is soldered to the motherboard, which makes upgrades impossible. The Macbook price will come down with component prices but it won't be able to hit $899. If they can get it to $1099, they can discontinue the 13" Air and just maintain a couple of entry 11" models.

    If you really need such a dongle gadget then the Macbook is not for you. Buy something else. Why try to make it into something it is not? It is not a Macbook Pro or anything else. It is targeted at a specific segment of the Mac market that wants simplicity and easy portability. Those trashing it should realize not everybody thinks like you do.
    I realise I might be the only one, but I really like the dongle idea. It would make the 2016 Macbook Pro future-proof and super-customised: 

    1. Future-proof: You'd always have the latest ports without having to buy a new laptop. Just get a new dongle.
    2. Super-customised: Transform your laptop into a photography or video hub by using a dedicated video or photography dongle.

    Having said that, the Macbook Pro should come with two USB-C ports.

    >:x
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 27 of 49
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,091member
    lkrupp said:
    Marvin said:
    The single port is a limitation but there are options like the following:

    http://www.amazon.com/HT-UC001-Shuttle-Delivery-MacBook-ChromeBook/dp/B019R9ILTG



    There are cheaper models that reduce the number of ports. TB3 would be better but USB C satisfies entry-level use where TB3 would serve primarily as a display output.

    In terms of performance, the Macbook is about 1/3 the performance of a quad-core MBP. Anyone upgrading from 2008-2010 Macbook Pros would find it to be faster than what they are used to. Price is a bit high but that's just because of the base spec. If you put 8GB/256GB in either the 11" or 13" Air, it's $1199 so the Macbook with a Retina display is $100 more.

    They could always have a 128GB model Macbook but the SSD is soldered to the motherboard, which makes upgrades impossible. The Macbook price will come down with component prices but it won't be able to hit $899. If they can get it to $1099, they can discontinue the 13" Air and just maintain a couple of entry 11" models.

    If you really need such a dongle gadget then the Macbook is not for you. Buy something else. Why try to make it into something it is not? It is not a Macbook Pro or anything else. It is targeted at a specific segment of the Mac market that wants simplicity and easy portability. Those trashing it should realize not everybody thinks like you do.
    Why do you react? He does a good job by reminding us on the availability of such a solution. And that is great solution, Apple should sell it in its stores.

    At least it shows that integrated ports are no longer a necessity. All ports have already became mobile. What's wrong in showing that?
    elijahg
  • Reply 28 of 49
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,091member
    appex said:
    Single USB port is a deal breaker. Bring Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 Type C Generation 2 and SDXC with maximum speed (300 MB/s) read/write speed.
    Does Intel Core M support Thunderbolt 3? I found no clear statement in Intel's marketing docs. 
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Since the first time a Windows Tablet was created I have hoped for a full OS X tablet. There are some great things about Apple's iPad and having a very light MacBook platform but these do not meet the needs of most of my hundreds of clients that need a full OS X touch screen tablet. The MacBook would be perfect if we could rotate the screen and lay it on top of the keyboard and then it goes into a touch screen mode. But to carry a laptop in the environs of my clients and hundreds of thousands of similar industry professionals, requiring a keyboard while carrying this around open and then need to enter complex data or draw or dictate or capture digital data like X-Rays, etc. makes the laptop an obstacle to efficient usability. The iPad is not acceptable because it does not truly live up to a full OS X multi tasking full application functionality device. When Apple decides to one up the Windows Surface Pro and do so convincingly then we will have the solution that everyone is really looking for from what is suppose to be the leading creative company in the world.
    elijahg
  • Reply 30 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    pentae said:
    Terrible - They could have squeezed a usb-c on each side to make the machine far more usable. Why hasn’t the 13” MBA upgrade in this same form factor with a retina display come out already? Quit fucking us around Apple - millions of us are waiting to make the upgrade.
    This Mac wasn't built for you. 

    I had a Powerbook duo which was one of the most popular mobile laptops of the time, and it had one single standard data port without a dock. It wasn't for everybody.

    Apple clearly decided a 3.5mm jack was essential for their target market. With any luck that will become a Lightning port if Apple drops the 3.5mm jack from the iPhone 7 in September. That's a compromise i'd love to see.
    iosenthusiast
  • Reply 31 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Here's something I hadn't thought about ... They're offering iPhone and iPad complimentary colors, but not the contrasting trim.

    In other words, here's gold with black keyboard and black bezel that gold iPhone and iPad customers have been asking for -- and it looks good. And rose gold with black.

    So why not have white keyboards and bezels just like the iPhone and iPad? The original white MacBook had white keyboards and bezels for years. And the Magic keyboard has white keys. Is this just a cost saving measure or is Jony Ive somehow saying that the color choices on the iPhones and iPads don't matter on the MacBook and vice versa? 

    Just seems odd and inconsistent for Apple, when they are essentially the exact same product.

    Now I suppose that the Watch makes the exception to this rule, but one has to wonder why there aren't white bezels on at least some of the Sport models (other than Apple doesn't usually offer multiple color choices on first year models). So maybe the device does dictate appropriate color pairing.

    But I would definitely like to see a Rose gold MacBook with a white bezel and keyboard. It looks too 80s for me paired with the black.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 32 of 49
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 225member
    pentae said:
    Why hasn’t the 13” MBA upgrade in this same form factor with a retina display come out already?
    Because a retina screened MBA, in the same or similar chassis, would not contain a large enough battery to retain the current battery life.  The battery would need to be larger, necessitating a larger chassis, and you'd essentially have a 13" Pro.

    pentae said:
    millions of us are waiting to make the upgrade.
    I'm betting on a 14" MacBook, and maybe it will have 2 USB-C ports instead of one.  The question is: What processor will it use: core M and remain fanless, or something more powerful and require a fan?

  • Reply 33 of 49
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 225member
    appex said:
    Single USB port is a deal breaker. Bring Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 Type C Generation 2 and SDXC with maximum speed (300 MB/s) read/write speed.
    Does Intel Core M support Thunderbolt 3? I found no clear statement in Intel's marketing docs. 
    No; in fact, no Skylake processors support it natively.  A separate Alpine Ridge controller is necessary for TB3.  I would expect the next version of the MBP (hopefully a redesign to be released at WWDC) will all have it.  Kaby Lake, the Skylake successor, will have native TB3.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 225member
    mr o said:

    I realise I might be the only one, but I really like the dongle idea. It would make the 2016 Macbook Pro future-proof and super-customised: 

    1. Future-proof: You'd always have the latest ports without having to buy a new laptop. Just get a new dongle.
    2. Super-customised: Transform your laptop into a photography or video hub by using a dedicated video or photography dongle.

    Having said that, the Macbook Pro should come with two USB-C ports.
    Your post is confusing: are you talking about an upcoming Pro, or this MacBook?

    At any rate, "future-proofing" is a myth.  There will always be new capabilities that get added to computers as time goes on and technology improves.  It's why we have technology companies like Apple in the first place.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    I'm not sure all the fuss about the camera is pertinent for the majority. I've never used the camera on current computer as my iPhone does everything I need in a camera. However, I am having difficulty finding the right combination in a MacBook. All I'd like is a MacBook air with a fast processor and 16 GB RAM and maybe the luxury of a 1 TB drive. The available options may be ok but I see as I delay hoping for better, the options are becoming fewer. The one port for externals is a deal killer and maybe I should but something now before all Macbooks become that limited. Or, and it's all just a guess, it would be fine to see a MacBook Pro 13" or smaller with current specs and 2-3 ports. But if I wait and find the new Macbooks are more limited with that single port, I'm going to be waiting forever if I want a Mac.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,091member
    I'm not sure all the fuss about the camera is pertinent for the majority. I've never used the camera on current computer as my iPhone does everything I need in a camera. However, I am having difficulty finding the right combination in a MacBook. All I'd like is a MacBook air with a fast processor and 16 GB RAM and maybe the luxury of a 1 TB drive. The available options may be ok but I see as I delay hoping for better, the options are becoming fewer. The one port for externals is a deal killer and maybe I should but something now before all Macbooks become that limited. Or, and it's all just a guess, it would be fine to see a MacBook Pro 13" or smaller with current specs and 2-3 ports. But if I wait and find the new Macbooks are more limited with that single port, I'm going to be waiting forever if I want a Mac.
    You describe a 13" Retina MacBook Pro. Buy it right now why do you postpone? The MacBook Air has no future with that standard resolution display. A MacBook Air with Retina is then a MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    toddzrx said:
    pentae said:
    Why hasn’t the 13” MBA upgrade in this same form factor with a retina display come out already?
    Because a retina screened MBA, in the same or similar chassis, would not contain a large enough battery to retain the current battery life.  The battery would need to be larger, necessitating a larger chassis, and you'd essentially have a 13" Pro.

    I'm betting on a 14" MacBook, and maybe it will have 2 USB-C ports instead of one.  The question is: What processor will it use: core M and remain fanless, or something more powerful and require a fan?

    Doesn't your argument for larger battery for retina negate a 14" rMB? I would expect the most popular model of MacBook - the 12-13 inch to be the only ultra portable they offer. Then a 12 & 14" MBP with additional ports. MBA is gone.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,245member
    sflocal said:

    I love the lightness of the Macbook as I haul my rMBP on my motorbike and the weight is noticed after a long ride
    You're carrying it wrong
    edited April 2016 spheric
  • Reply 39 of 49
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,008member
    mac_128 said:

    I had a Powerbook duo which was one of the most popular mobile laptops of the time, and it had one single standard data port without a dock. It wasn't for everybody.
    And the success of that excellent Duo product was its small size (which is true of the MacBook) AND the Dock.  That's why Apple needs to add TB3 to all its portables so that they can be attached to a powerful dock which has multiple-GPUs and perhaps even secondary CPUs.  Imagine carrying around a notebook almost as light as an iPad but then return home and dock that machine, transforming it into a Mac Pro.  Apple doesn't like that concept because they want to sell you multiple devices.  But we the consumer would love to have a single device that can be expanded into a super powerhouse.  Perhaps we'll get TB3 eventually, but for now its still the waiting game.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    rolsrols Posts: 68member
    phirenze said:
    When the eff are they going to update the MBPs?  Seriously it's been years and this thing get updated after a year. I don't get it.
    Be careful what you wish for. I like my macbook pro with its two USB-A ports which get lots of use. I really don't want to see those become one or even two USB-C ports so the thing can just be made thinner. Don't mind them updating the pro, as long as it stays pro and comes with lots of different sized holes to stick things into. 
    edited April 2016 elijahg
Sign In or Register to comment.