A look inside Apple ahead of its Q2 2016 earnings report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    WhyGeeWhyGee Posts: 11member
    sog35 said:
    I hope Tim Cook/CFO decide to change the way they report each quarter.
      —  amen

1. Stop reporting unit sales. Report only 2 categories of sales: Total hardware sales and total software/services sales.
      —  absolutely

disclosing unit iPhone sales was a great morale booster for many of us, and it was also a huge P.R. driver ('earned media') 

alas, it has encouraged many tech paparazzi to seek sensational news from apple's otherwise guarded supply chain just in the name of clicks and eyeballs.  
    (i by no means include the meaningful content from our respected appleinser).  
    this has been terribly detrimental to apple inc. and AAPL as the latter stock is routinely manipulated by a cabal of folks deliberately planting false or distorted stories in efforts to make retail investors sell their shares for cheap
  • Reply 22 of 41
    sog35 said:
    This article comes off just a wee bit over zealous and blithely ignores certain realities, particularly with regard to the iPad. You spend a great deal of time, almost devoting the entire narrative, attacking the Surface by questioning its true sales success, while completely ignoring the fact that iPad sales are dying. Pointing out that Surface isn't as hot as analysts say is all fine and good, but that doesn't mean iPad is a smash success any longer. 
    iPad is destroying the Surface in total revenue, units, and profits.

Go worship your false god somewhere else.
    Uh... yeah, sorry try again. I'm not a Surface user, troll. Just someone who prefers telling the whole story and not gloss over glaring facts in an effort to skew the narrative. And the fact remains that iPad sales are declining by huge margins, and have been for more than two years now. iPad Pro (12.9") hasn't reversed that trend, and it's questionable if the new 9.7" model will because the sales dry up is the result of a trend. Consumers aren't buying tablets. Congratulations, iPad is crushing Surface... in a shrinking niche market. 
    singularity
  • Reply 23 of 41
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    Uh... yeah, sorry try again. I'm not a Surface user, troll. Just someone who prefers telling the whole story and not gloss over glaring facts in an effort to skew the narrative. And the fact remains that iPad sales are declining by huge margins, and have been for more than two years now. iPad Pro (12.9") hasn't reversed that trend, and it's questionable if the new 9.7" model will because the sales dry up is the result of a trend. Consumers aren't buying tablets. Congratulations, iPad is crushing Surface... in a shrinking niche market. 
    Clueless.

iPad sales are down because:

1. Upgrade cycles have slowed down. Which is normal when new products reach maturity. There is no reason to upgrade every year since each year does not offer huge leaps. There was a huge leap from iPad1 to iPad2 to iPad3. So more people upgraded each year. That isn't the case anymore. And there is nothing wrong with that. 

2. Larger iPhones have canibalized iPad sales. Which is fine also since iPhones have higher margins and profits than iPad.

In 2015 Microsoft sold only 6 million Surface tablets.
    In 2015 Apple sold 50 million iPads.

Just stop. iPad is DESTROYING Surface.

Consumers aren't buying tablets?  Then who the hell bought the 50,000,000 iPads last year?

Is the iPad market as big as the iPhone? Hell no. But its still a massive multi-billion dollar market and adds to the Apple ecosystem and user experience.

iPad had over $21 BILLION in sales last year.
    And over $5 BILLION in operating profit.  That is NOT small potatoes. That's more operating profit just from iPad than General Motors had for their entire company.

Yet you have idioitcy to call the iPad a niche market. 

Surface revenue is up 61%.  That amounts to being destroyed?
    singularityelitistsnob
  • Reply 24 of 41
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    When have Apple stated the Watch sale figures, or even revenue, I must have missed it?
  • Reply 25 of 41
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    Except Wall Street isn't consistent at all when it comes to this. I would argue that they would continue unabated to manipulate Apple whether with the current detailed reporting or the 'mystery of the unknown'. It's not like there's a rulebook and a new air of mystery would incite them to pin generous valuations on these categories gone dark. No, they would just say that Apple is now trying to hide something that they are afraid of people seeing. What IS consistent is that for some reason Apple has never gotten much love from Wall Street, or when it has it's been somewhat grudging. Whether this was born of the deep and entrenched Wintel bias or what, no one has ever sufficiently explained it. It's why a lot of your advice here wouldn't make a whit of difference. Where there's a will there's a way, and there is plenty of will. and money, in manipulating Apple. 
    Put another way, it's impossible for big money to move share prices (plus or minus) of a company that has little or no mystery.  And don't forget that large investment firms can make money as prices move up AND down.

So what do they do?...they manipulate the narrative of companies like AAPL which is shrouded with secrecy and rumors.

This has been going on for a decade.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    sog35 said:
    I would not be surprised to see the stock below $100 this week.

I would not be surprised to see the stock testing $92 this summer.

There is even a chance this thing goes to the $80's.

No big deal. Just another opportunity for those who have cash lying around to load up on shares.
    And if you already own shares and can't buy any more the stock tanking is good news. Because even if YOU can't buy shares you know darn well Apple will be buying shares and that means your shares will own a bigger chunk of the company.

My point is relax. Let Wall Street idiots continue to rise and fall like a bunch of cheap tricks. All I know is Apple has a great chance of out performing the broad market in the next 10 years. I fully expect the stock to reach $300-$400 in the next 10 years. 

You think $300 is ridiculous?  I don't think it is. Even if Apple's profits decline 5% each year for the next 10 years they would still generate about $425 billion in profits. That would give them enough cash to buy 70-%80% of the company shares. That means even if Apple has the same PE ration as now it would be worth 300%-400% more.

Dream much?  For Apple to buy more stock means it HAS to borrow more money.  Did you forget the cash hoard overseas collecting dust? I think $134 was peak for the stock.  Smartphones have peaked and Apple has virtually all its profits come from phones.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    FACT: Apple has warned investors that its quarterly earnings report will bear bad news about iPhone sales.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    domino67 said:
    Smartphones have peaked and Apple has virtually all its profits come from phones.
    Yep, shut it down and sell the pieces. Having virtually all your profits from one thing means you are going to go out of business. Especially if that one thing has "peaked" and will only go down from here.

RIP Google whose only revenue is from advertising which has peaked.
    RIP Facebook. Same thing. Advertising is going down.
    RIP Amazon. Retail is sooo 1990's.
    RIP Microsoft. PC sales are down the toilet.
    Tesla? Only a matter of time before we hit peak electric vehicles. Sell, sell, sell!

And nobody really wants a smart phone these days right? Back to the flip phone days from here on out forever - no one will ever buy another smartphone. Too bad Apple relies on iPhone for 62% of it's world-leading, record-breaking profit. They would just be one of the biggest companies out there instead of the biggest by far.

You know, (or maybe you don't) any other company in the world would kill to have that hoard of cash overseas "collecting dust".
    patchythepiratebadmonk
  • Reply 29 of 41
    I tend to agree.
    Bottom line, it's a challenging market for everyone and Apple still has excellent marketing and sales force.
    Keep the faith!

FACT: Apple has warned investors that its quarterly earnings report will bear bad news about iPhone sales.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    sog35 said:
    I would not be surprised to see the stock below $100 this week.

I would not be surprised to see the stock testing $92 this summer.

There is even a chance this thing goes to the $80's.

No big deal. Just another opportunity for those who have cash lying around to load up on shares.
    And if you already own shares and can't buy any more the stock tanking is good news. Because even if YOU can't buy shares you know darn well Apple will be buying shares and that means your shares will own a bigger chunk of the company.

My point is relax. Let Wall Street idiots continue to rise and fall like a bunch of cheap tricks. All I know is Apple has a great chance of out performing the broad market in the next 10 years. I fully expect the stock to reach $300-$400 in the next 10 years. 

You think $300 is ridiculous?  I don't think it is. Even if Apple's profits decline 5% each year for the next 10 years they would still generate about $425 billion in profits. That would give them enough cash to buy 70-%80% of the company shares. That means even if Apple has the same PE ration as now it would be worth 300%-400% more.

I agree I think one the bad news about iPhone sales is released, fact: apple has already warned about this, we should see it breach some of it support levels , a good time to buy, but I'd wait it could go a lot further if selling momentum gathers pace, $95 is a huge support. There's usually an over reaction as investors panic to the downside. Best to wait for a consolidation at a new support price. I sold all of my stock at $107, waiting till at least $90 before getting back in.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    domino67 said:
    Smartphones have peaked and Apple has virtually all its profits come from phones.
    Yep, shut it down and sell the pieces. Having virtually all your profits from one thing means you are going to go out of business. Especially if that one thing has "peaked" and will only go down from here.

RIP Google whose only revenue is from advertising which has peaked.
    RIP Facebook. Same thing. Advertising is going down.
    RIP Amazon. Retail is sooo 1990's.
    RIP Microsoft. PC sales are down the toilet.
    Tesla? Only a matter of time before we hit peak electric vehicles. Sell, sell, sell!

And nobody really wants a smart phone these days right? Back to the flip phone days from here on out forever - no one will ever buy another smartphone. Too bad Apple relies on iPhone for 62% of it's world-leading, record-breaking profit. They would just be one of the biggest companies out there instead of the biggest by far.

You know, (or maybe you don't) any other company in the world would kill to have that hoard of cash overseas "collecting dust".
    Well now that is a well thought out response. There are some reports out there that iphone sales maybe 20% less than last years quarter. But if it makes you happy keep your head in the sand.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    I tend to agree.
    Bottom line, it's a challenging market for everyone and Apple still has excellent marketing and sales force.
    Keep the faith!

That's not actually true. Last quarter Apple guided for a potential decrease in the number of iPhones sold during Q2 (roughly 5%, pundits are calling for 10%), but said revenue is likely to come in flat. Compare that to Samsung, which saw its total smartphone revenue collapse by 70% when iPhone 6 hit. 

One of those is "bad news," the other is a blip in the trajectory of iPhone sales. China continues to expand (despite the temporary closure of iBooks/iTunes movies at the decree of PRC censors; books & movies were not selling big in China yet anyway) and major new markets are opening up to iPhones, including India--a market with the potential to add another US-sized population.  
    palominebadmonk
  • Reply 33 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rob53 said:
    With all the insanity caused by the FBI I'd like to see a Mac include a TouchID button along with the Secure Enclave for better encryption control. Make FileVault, or whatever Apple wants to call it, the default. I know many people move their data and drives between Macs so there would have to be a secure way to re-address TouchID when doing this but I wouldn't mind logging on or at least unlocking the drive(s) simply by using my TouchID. Backups would be managed the same way. There's no reason why iOS devices should be the only devices with easy and secure encryption. Of course, there would have to be a management "backdoor" so enterprise and government users could set a master, site-specific, unlocking key but having TouchID wouldn't preclude that capability (simple admin login and password). 

FYI, Touch ID alone is insufficient as a security measure when it comes to the seizure of your iOS device by law enforcement, however it's still solid security from thieves.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 34 of 41
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,302member
    Thanks DED.  Good to have you back.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,302member
    And Sog, I agree with everything you said in this article's posts.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    AAPL has been posting lower lows and lower highs for the last 8 days except one day when there was a slight higher high, it is now  intraday below 105 psychological level and also the 50MA, next support is 100, if it breaches below  that 100 then technically we would have a 10% correction. Nothing to stop it going to 95 or  perhaps even 90 from that point especially if she of the pigs who bought at the top panic and get slaughtered.
    • Reply 37 of 41
      MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
      CNN's web site had a large headline declaring the worst Q in 10 years for Apple yesterday!  Amazing how these folks know the future.
    • Reply 38 of 41
      Incidentally, here is where the livestream will be in a couple of hours:

April 26, 2016 at 2:00 p.m. PT / 5:00 p.m. ET
      http://www.apple.com/investor/earnings-call/
    • Reply 40 of 41
      Aaaaand I just noticed the stock got nuked in after hours trading...

Now at about $98.80! Jeez.

I'm sorry, but Tim needs to be replaced, but keep him for operations if he wants to stay on. The stock is a disaster and it needs a better spokesperson to defend it. Also, I'm finally seriously thinking of dumping all of my AAPL after not selling a single share for a decade and a half...my retirement depends on this stock. Sorry for the rant.
      edited April 2016