Google mimics Apple Watch with conveniently swappable 'Mode' Android Wear bands

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ziggybyte said:
    sog35 said:
    hope you are joking. 

Moto360/Pebble required TOOLS to switch bands and it was a pain in the azz (like traditional watches)

AppleWatch is totally different because no tools are required and its super easy and fast
    I never said they didn't require tools, nor did I say Apple wasn't the first to have an easy to change mechanism. All I said was that you could change bands on other types of watches.
    Actually, in the 1980s there was a resurgence of watch bands that had been popular in the 60s which threaded through the watch pins -- basically NATO-type straps. I had quite a collection of grosgrain, rubber, and leather bands, and even one Milanese band, that were very nice looking. Link bracelets wouldn't work for obvious reasons. And Apple couldn't very well chose that method because they had to keep the bottom sensors clear. What they did was come up with a proprietary swapping system, but they by no means came up with the idea of easily swappable watch bands. 
  • Reply 22 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    ireland said:
    gatorguy said:
    Ummm.... 
    Aren't watchbands typically swappable? I know I've changed mine several times on several watches over the years. Hardly "taking a page from Apple" IMHO.  Not sure that "Mode" button will hold up tho. Looks a little questionable to me. 
    Would you not find even the colour similarities questionable?
    No. Almost all fashion are the same color scheme year you year regardless of brand or type of fashion. Color is not exclusive to Apple.
    For example. . .
    http://www.instyle.com/fashion/see-top-10-colors-spring-2016
  • Reply 23 of 29
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Be it android, apple, pebble, fitbit, microsoft whoever ... if the focus is on the straps of a smart watch or band, it doesn't say much for advances in the technology.
    singularity
  • Reply 24 of 29
    SnRaSnRa Posts: 65member
    sog35 said:
    ziggybyte said:
    Many Android Wear watches (such as the Moto 360) and Pebble devices had swappable wristbands before the Apple Watch was released.
    hope you are joking. 

Moto360/Pebble required TOOLS to switch bands and it was a pain in the azz (like traditional watches)

AppleWatch is totally different because no tools are required and its super easy and fast
    The ZenWatch used a standard strap system and it didn't require any tools to change the band.

• Reply 25 of 29
    For the way the strap attaches and detaches to the Watch, the Mode icon is pretty clever.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member
    lkrupp said:
    Steve Jobs said it himself, quoting Picasso. “Good artists copy, great artists steal.” There’s nothing wrong with mimicking. Actually there’s no evidence that Picasso said that but it can be traced to something T.S. Elliot said about poets.
    Perhaps Picasso stole that quote from Elliot!
  • Reply 27 of 29
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    I don't agree at all that Google copied Apple.

The design intent of Google's attachment is inferior in both scope and implementation to Apple's, which appears to have a watch band ecosystem in mind with the diagnostic port placement. I find that the sliding key and slot design is much more robust and elegant in its simplicity than what Google has shown.

edited April 2016
  • Reply 28 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 said:
    Nice try.

But the AppleWatch + bands was reviled publicly.
    Not sure that's the word you meant to use. :)