Apple Watch shipped 2.2M units in March quarter, but lost marketshare, estimates claim

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    CelTanCelTan Posts: 46member
    Marketshare.
    Ok. lets say we take a tiny town with 1000 people. In Q1 everyone buys an apple watch, and apple has 100% marketshare. Now in Q2, 1 person decides they want to test out a round smartwatch and buys 1! roundish Android something - the other 999 don't buy any new smartwatch, because they are reasonably happy with theirs.
    Does that give the roundish watch 100% marketshare?

I would be interested in active devices.

I work in a tech company and Watch is on my wrist pretty much every day - make it waterproof and it won't leave it at all.
    Over the last year I have seen more watches on other employees wrists, with the price drop a lot of female employees - gold and rose gold with light sports bands are now pretty much everywhere in the office.

• Reply 22 of 28
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    domino67 said:
    Apple raked in $6 BILLION last year from the Apple Watch. This is more than Rolex's $5 BILLION.  So who is the failure again?
    Apple.  Rolex sold far fewer watches and let's be honest the Apple Watch for the foreseeable future has peaked.  The only ones who will buy an Apple Watch first and foremost are obviously iphone users so right there the market is very limited. And secondly and more importantly whoever wanted an Apple Watch more than likely will have one already.  I highly doubt there is any pent up demand for such a purchase.
    Huh? They sell 210-230M Iphones a year, there are over half a billion Iphones out there.
    They likely sold about 14M in 10 months (About 7B in sales), half of those in the US.
    That's just 2% of potential Iphone owners overall and about 5% in the US; how the frack is that a saturated market, or even a limited one!
    You make absolutely no sense.

Considering the fracking Iphone sold 1/3 of that in the first 10 months, you make even less sense bud.
    The Iphone demand really went up during the period between the 3G and the 3GS; the 3GS is when sales really rocketed.
    That's VERSION 3 of the Iphone. Why? Because many people don't buy version one (or sometimes even version two)..
    Version two of the Ipad, same thing, the Ipad 2 was the runaway success.

The Apple Watch 2 will likely sell twice as much during this holiday period (10M) as the last (5M).

BTW, the Watch has been released nearly one year ago, demand goes down before a new version and it also goes down in non holiday periods, well duh, Iphone demand also peaks during the holiday.

netmage
  • Reply 23 of 28
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    CelTan said:
    Marketshare.
    Ok. lets say we take a tiny town with 1000 people. In Q1 everyone buys an apple watch, and apple has 100% marketshare. Now in Q2, 1 person decides they want to test out a round smartwatch and buys 1! roundish Android something - the other 999 don't buy any new smartwatch, because they are reasonably happy with theirs.
    Does that give the roundish watch 100% marketshare?

I would be interested in active devices.

I work in a tech company and Watch is on my wrist pretty much every day - make it waterproof and it won't leave it at all.
    Over the last year I have seen more watches on other employees wrists, with the price drop a lot of female employees - gold and rose gold with light sports bands are now pretty much everywhere in the office.

Many people use it to swim and shower, so it's mostly much more waterproof than even Apple ackowledges IPX7 is the rating Garmin outdoor sports watches had for years (not the latest ones).
  • Reply 24 of 28
    I dont want a watch that I need to upgrade every year (which can cost up to 10 000USD), need to charge everyday. And I dont know if I want a watch either... Its already a trouble and expensive to upgrade iPhone at least every 2 year (In some cases u need to upgrade all family members iPhones) and it is really expensive in my country (3 times of minimum wage, my country is G17) This Watch thing will not work...
  • Reply 25 of 28
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    domino67 said:
    Apple raked in $6 BILLION last year from the Apple Watch. This is more than Rolex's $5 BILLION.  So who is the failure again?
    Apple.  Rolex sold far fewer watches and let's be honest the Apple Watch for the foreseeable future has peaked.  The only ones who will buy an Apple Watch first and foremost are obviously iphone users so right there the market is very limited. And secondly and more importantly whoever wanted an Apple Watch more than likely will have one already.  I highly doubt there is any pent up demand for such a purchase.
    If you are simply trying to troll and get a reaction out of the folks here, then I can understand your post.  If you are actually "trying" to provide any kind of thoughtful/critical post, then you are either very naive or very dense.

- With zero knowledge or evidence, with no trend information, you claim that a generation 1 product has clearly peaked.
    - You claim that given the market is (for now) limited to iPhone owners, you think it is small - when many estimates would put the iPhone installed active subscriber base at over 600 million (and growing).  Those who do not have their head up there arse would think that a sizeable market to build on.
    - You believe that when a product goes on sale, that whomever would want one will buy it immediately...so that there are no further purchases to be made.  Based on this logic, Apple will have only sold about 10M iPhones in total, which was the number sold in year 1.  Or only 15M iPads.  

Best to stay off the Internet before you hurt yourself.
    netmage
  • Reply 26 of 28
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

SEngineer said:
    I dont want a watch that I need to upgrade every year (which can cost up to 10 000USD), need to charge everyday. And I dont know if I want a watch either... Its already a trouble and expensive to upgrade iPhone at least every 2 year (In some cases u need to upgrade all family members iPhones) and it is really expensive in my country (3 times of minimum wage, my country is G17) This Watch thing will not work...
    Who said you have to upgrade your watch every year?  Many people are using phones from 3-4 years ago.  A watch could easily be good for 5 years or more - longer than many watches in that price category (Sport model) last from my experience
    Why bring up the most expensive watch model - solid gold- when talking about price?  Why not say the $299 entry price for Sport model?
    Charging every day - far easier than a phone really - I just put it on the charger beside my bed each night.  No friction at all.
    Nobody forces you to upgrade phones every two years.  My iPhone 5s is doing just dandy on iOS9.  My kids are using hand-me-down iPhones - only my wife and I purchase them.

I use my Apple Watch as my iPod at the gym now - so one less device to take / maintain - saving me that replacement cost.  For those interested in health & fitness, it includes the functionality of those bands, which are often $100+.  So at $299 for the entry level AW, given that is a watch + iPod + fitness band (and not even mentioning the other functionality which I find quite useful), the price is very reasonable.

As is often said here, you will need to "troll harder"...
    netmage
  • Reply 27 of 28
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    I think AppleWatch is doing well and will be a sleeper hit that will take Wall Street by surprise.  I see a subtle sea shift in how people perceive electronic devices on their wrist.  I think fitbit can be thanked for that.

I suspect AppleWatch version 3 will be the AppleWatch's iPhone 6 moment.  Improved functionality in a slightly slimmer package.

I will plunk down serious $ and get his/hers stainless models.