Apple redesigns Support website with clean layout, responsive UI

Posted:
in General Discussion
As part of ongoing website redesign efforts, Apple on Friday launched a revamped Support Pages mini-site with a cleaner layout, easy to access topics links and responsive web assets supporting desktop and mobile browsing.

Apple announced the debut through its official Apple Support Twitter account, which invites users to experience the "reimagined and redesigned" website firsthand.

In addition to copious amounts of white space and full-width graphics, a design pervaded through Apple.com, the new site features interactive UI elements designed to facilitate fast and easy access to a database of help topics. A main search bar remains front and center, but it seems the tool has been updated to display a greater number of relevant Quick Links, for example.

Below links to product-specific pages for iPhone, iPad, Mac and other major lines is new "Popular Topics" section. Currently populated by three clickable cards linking to topics "Managing your Apple ID," "New to iPhone" and "Taking and managing photos," the space lets Apple highlight hot topics and current consumer concerns. Sub-pages attached to the three categories also benefit from the redesign and carry links to pre-existing support page documents.

Space is also set aside for Apple's Support Communities, a section on warranty and repair status, support contacts, an advertisement for the Apple Support Twitter page and a link to peruse Apple Store workshop availability. Buried at the bottom of the page are links to active Exchange and Repair Extension Programs.

Today's redesign is similar to last year's reworking of iTunes Connect, Apple's developer web tool for distributing and managing content. Apple's new design language debuted when the company merged the erstwhile Online Apple Store with its main Apple.com website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Nice. The old site was terrible. I hope they can start answering questions now. Most of the questions are unanswered and all the Apple TV bugs aren't being addressed.
    baconstang
  • Reply 2 of 7
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Apple's website has been awful for a long time. It's been ok on a computer but on the iPhone it has sucked. Embarrassingly. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Communities is still formatted for anything but iPhone...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    dysamoria said:
    Communities is still formatted for anything but iPhone...
    Sorry to hear that. At least the communities have returned.  I usually access them on my Mac with a 24" monitor.
    At least communities is back, but most newer web sites have too faint text for my old but still fairly good eyes.
    I must have a close look, before I say any more on a change which was needed.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    The new Apple Support sucks.   At the top is one big search box.  When I enter for example "iPhone cracked screen",  I get 15K results across 1K pages.  Many of the results have nothing to do with the specific query I entered.  It is a horrendous user experience

And, it took me 16 clicks/steps to make an sample appointment at the Genius Bar 

I am really getting worried about Apple lately.   Lot of bad, basic decisions.  Very troublesome 

• Reply 6 of 7
    sky kingsky king Posts: 189member
    I still stick to Apple and most likely always will.  But instead of being BEST, almost everything about Apple (except the profit) has deteriorated to the point that while is is most definitely BETTER than the competition, it is far, far from what it used to be.

It looks to my non-techie and very untrained eye as Apple has begun (common to most corporations as they mature) to fragment itself into segments which do their own thing without either being forced to connect/interface with each other for the best OVERALL user experience or lacks the oversight of a single visionary that actually "gets it" when it comes to user experience and user interface.  Yeah, lots of innovation, but each new user experience seems to be more aimed at techies than at the "rest of us" who make up the vast portion of the consumers act provide the profitability.  

Im certainly happy that Apple is financially strong, but I sure miss the continuity with which apps and products used to seamlessly interface with each other and with the user.  No...Apple is not doomed.  But something is definitely lacking and....oh well.  I guess it's best described by saying that Apple has lost it's focus.

HELP is only one manifestation of the overall problems in the company.  Virtually everything is that way.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    red oak said:
    The new Apple Support sucks.   At the top is one big search box.  When I enter for example "iPhone cracked screen",  I get 15K results across 1K pages.  Many of the results have nothing to do with the specific query I entered.  It is a horrendous user experience

And, it took me 16 clicks/steps to make an sample appointment at the Genius Bar 

I am really getting worried about Apple lately.   Lot of bad, basic decisions.  Very troublesome 

You know, it is so easy to re-define the search strings and utilize the filter button...