Sight unseen, consumers are more excited about Apple's 'iPhone 7' than they were for iPhone 6s

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    subbies said:
    Unless it comes out with something unexpected. I think I'll stick to my 6+. Too similar 
    That's fine, upgrading everything two years is a bit weird anyway...
  • Reply 22 of 41
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    I highly doubt that the iPhone 7 will simply be an iPhone 6S with improved specs. While the casing may look a lot like the 6/6S (minus some antenna lines) I suspect that Apple will introduce some very interesting new tech that may have more mainstream appeal than 3D touch.

Or maybe I'm just naive like people answering this survey! ;)

• Reply 23 of 41
    ljm828312ljm828312 Posts: 27member
    Yawn.. Not surprised. The "s" version of these phones always get a bad rap. Yeah design hasn't changed from the previous model but I will still choose new internal hardware specs over a design complain any day of the week. I for one love my 6s. I love how I can peek and pop in things. And I love my new camera pixels. I figure if Apple is going to make a new phone with newer features inside and make my phone stronger on the outside as to the previous outgoing model all for the same price then I'm on board. Apple Watch 2 is coming and I for one already have my card ready. I mean Apple Pay.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    LoneStar88LoneStar88 Posts: 325member
    We're on our second year of AT&T's Next program. We started with one each of 6/6+ the September before last, then traded them in last September for a 6S/6S+. Great phones, all of them. Now we're ready for the 7s. My Plus with 128GB storage is a $1K phone, and all we have to do is pay the sales tax and send the old ones in. Painless. Great system.

How does the AT&T program compare to the iPhone Upgrade Program?  We use AT&T and when we bought our iPhone 6s devices (per Phil) -- the Apple program was less expensive and included AppleCare.

Also, under the AT&T plan do you have to pay an activation fee for the new iPhone?

Next was introduced coincident with the iPhone 6 in 2014, before Apple's plan.

So, we're sort of committed to continue with AT&T unless we pay off our current phones early. Easier said than done.

Yes, the included Apple Care is compelling, too. So, if we can, we may indeed try to pay off the AT&T contract before Sept. But, if not, no biggie. We'll just continue with AT&T. It's still a good plan which is very convenient, and keeps us in new phones each year.

Don't know about any activation fee, as we've been AT&T customers for about three decades. I don't think we had an activation fee for our current Next phones last September. They sent us prepaid shipping labels to send them our old phones.

P.S. For any out there doing the Next plan and wanting new phones in 12 months, you have to specify "Next 12" which gives the option of turning the phone in after 12 payments.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 25 of 41
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    qwwera said:
    Sight unseen, I want the iPhone 8 instead.
    I'm shooting for iPhone 10.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    vanfrunikenvanfruniken Posts: 262member
    The fact that the iPhone SE is not taken into account invalidates the result of this -already questionable- study.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    yabewebyabeweb Posts: 7member
    "Two big questions, if headphone jack is gone and Lightning EarPods are included in box, will magnetic Smart Connector changing cable be the default cable included in box, and how do people charge while rocking a case and using headphones?"

Simply by making case with the connector.... 3 pieces that go trough like this!! http://img.wpxbox.com/Wireless-Charging-Case-Inside-VIew-1024x576.jpg Cmon it's not that hard!
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 28 of 41
    3D Touch is crucial to Apple being able to eliminate the home button and shrink bezels. People should stop saying they have no use for it. YOU WILL!
    It's a cool gimmick but it's not truly useful and the future u speak of where it will become useful would be a major shift away from SIRI running the show and replacing the finger, sure the tech that makes peek and pop is pretty fantastic but it needs developer love and it's very niche-y. Maybe both could be developed to a level where tactile feedback becomes obsolete but the elderly population of iPhone users - and there's millions, not to mention the blind would have a fancy piece of Samsung glass that they have to guess to press.

They should double Googles offer for Viv, rehire these two former employees and once and for all stop following What Steve Would Do. 

When Cortana can now check the weather, sports scores and remind or remember for me ON MY XBOX something at Apple has stagnated.

Thank God Apple Music is getting a UI because I'm convinced it never had one.

And lastly- I use Siri everyday and he's Austrslian which I love and I think that what has kept this from the gold standard for Voice interaction is that 1) the cloud team and Siri team are fighting internally and the lot of them should be fired or thier managers should be.

2) Siri is better in some places than others like tv for instant and I'm not sure why but I think it has to do with the way he speaks or how he speaks. On the watch - he's great too provided ambient noise isn't terrible say in Manhattan. 

3) There's a wider idea out there that Apple has chosen to hardware over software since at least iPhone 5. I'm not a Wall Street proponent of services because thier based on the ebb and flow of consumer nonsense. On the software side of things ESP.  OSX the level of inadequacy of the mainline apps begins with Mail which is garbage, GarageBand (which they built using the underpinnings of Logic) abandoning actual music production for Loops and more drum sounds, iCal which is decent but not without Fantastical, even Safari to me is lesser than it used to be.

I've had Apple my whole life and even learned Math, played Oregon Trail and learned basic computer programming in elementary school on an Apple 2e. 

• Reply 29 of 41

How does the AT&T program compare to the iPhone Upgrade Program?  We use AT&T and when we bought our iPhone 6s devices (per Phil) -- the Apple program was less expensive and included AppleCare.

Also, under the AT&T plan do you have to pay an activation fee for the new iPhone?

Next was introduced coincident with the iPhone 6 in 2014, before Apple's plan.

So, we're sort of committed to continue with AT&T unless we pay off our current phones early. Easier said than done.

Yes, the included Apple Care is compelling, too. So, if we can, we may indeed try to pay off the AT&T contract before Sept. But, if not, no biggie. We'll just continue with AT&T. It's still a good plan which is very convenient, and keeps us in new phones each year.

Don't know about any activation fee, as we've been AT&T customers for about three decades. I don't think we had an activation fee for our current Next phones last September. They sent us prepaid shipping labels to send them our old phones.

P.S. For any out there doing the Next plan and wanting new phones in 12 months, you have to specify "Next 12" which gives the option of turning the phone in after 12 payments.
    Never ever buy into a cell phone contract people. It's a better deal to take out a bank loan (which is insane) to purchase the phone you want than pay the premium, subsidy and insurance and the deductibles. Which is a crime. 

Buy the T-Mobile on Day One and put a ATT sim in it and call ATT and start a 65$ unlimited prepaid plan. Full usability of the phone, ur not bound to TMobile and ur bill drops monthly - in my case 135$ dollars. My iPhone bill was over 200$ when I used ATT. I've tried them all. Prepaid is how to do this.

I have had 33 iPhones because as a Personal Trainer and working in a high end gym or outside they get stolen, dropped, rained on and those cases are disgusting. Lifeproof would save me money but if I bought insurance I run out of deductibles, the initial phone price is now over a 1000 and for someone like me I'd rather just call Gazelle and spend that insurance money on a refurbished one unless it's the glass. Which is also a scam. Any idiot can buy the glass and watch a YouTube  and fix it themselves. 

Why people enter into contracts sold to them by high school kids and the illiterate morons ATT can get to work in thier stores is beyond me. 
  • Reply 30 of 41
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    3D Touch is crucial to Apple being able to eliminate the home button and shrink bezels. People should stop saying they have no use for it. YOU WILL!
    So when will Apple stop supporting the current home button? They usually continue to support 5-6 year old devices. There will likely be much more compelling reasons to upgrade than 3D Touch during that time. I actually like the home button with Touch ID and the bezels don't bother me at all. In my opinion taking away the home button will actually make it less user friendly.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 31 of 41
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    It's a cool gimmick but it's not truly useful and the future u speak of where it will become useful would be a major shift away from SIRI running the show and replacing the finger, sure the tech that makes peek and pop is pretty fantastic but it needs developer love and it's very niche-y. Maybe both could be developed to a level where tactile feedback becomes obsolete but the elderly population of iPhone users - and there's millions, not to mention the blind would have a fancy piece of Samsung glass that they have to guess to press.

They should double Googles offer for Viv, rehire these two former employees and once and for all stop following What Steve Would Do. 

When Cortana can now check the weather, sports scores and remind or remember for me ON MY XBOX something at Apple has stagnated.

And lastly- I use Siri everyday and he's Austrslian which I love and I think that what has kept this from the gold standard for Voice interaction is that 1) the cloud team and Siri team are fighting internally and the lot of them should be fired or thier managers should be.

2) Siri is better in some places than others like tv for instant and I'm not sure why but I think it has to do with the way he speaks or how he speaks. On the watch - he's great too provided ambient noise isn't terrible say in Manhattan. 

3) There's a wider idea out there that Apple has chosen to hardware over software since at least iPhone 5. I'm not a Wall Street proponent of services because thier based on the ebb and flow of consumer nonsense. On the software side of things ESP.  OSX the level of inadequacy of the mainline apps begins with Mail which is garbage, GarageBand (which they built using the underpinnings of Logic) abandoning actual music production for Loops and more drum sounds, iCal which is decent but not without Fantastical, even Safari to me is lesser than it used to be.

I've had Apple my whole life and even learned Math, played Oregon Trail and learned basic computer programming in elementary school on an Apple 2e. 

Cortana as a near of POS and I'm actually typing this from a Windows 10 machine so I know what Im talking about. The voice recognition VERY VERY VERY BAD.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    "Sight unseen", I was also pretty excited about the MB v.2 ...
  • Reply 33 of 41
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member
    Apple makes great products and because they do people don't need to upgrade very often.  I'm sure the 7 will do "well," but will that be enough to improve the share price?  Seems unlikely.  Cook's dumber than I think he is if he really believes a new camera, thinner phone, slightly better battery etc will get enough people excited about the 7 to have it sell better than the 6.

Until they show they can come up with a new product line that will drive revenue growth again OR monetize the billion or so users the stock is going to languish in the 80s and will eventually erode further as fewer people pay the premium.  In five years they will turn out to look pretty stupid buying shares for 100+ when it is trading at a 30% discount to that.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    foggyhill said:

Cortana as a near of POS and I'm actually typing this from a Windows 10 machine so I know what Im talking about. The voice recognition VERY VERY VERY BAD.
    No it isn't.

I just tried the following - completely off-the-cuff - 'what films are on freeview satellite tonight'.  I have not tried that query before so it wasn't a setup.

Cortana came straight back with a list of sites and the very first on the list had exactly what the query asked for.

I just now borrowed my daughter's iPhone and asked Siri exactly the same thing and it replied 'Sorry, I cant find a TV listing for Ireland'

Cortana rocks.

Cortana's voice recognition I find to be excellent, perhaps it's your microphone, your environment or because you ask it through angry clenched teeth.
    singularity
  • Reply 35 of 41
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member
    Maybe he has a Scottish accent :open_mouth: 
  • Reply 36 of 41
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    bkkcanuck said:
    Thought he was one of yours.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member
    cnocbui said:
    bkkcanuck said:
    Thought he was one of yours.
    Well, there are more Scottish decendent in Canada than there are Scots in Scotland.... and many pockets now that have picked up Gaelic in an effort to retain some of the old culture.... so I would not be surprised if some have decided to take on the old country's accent....
    cnocbui
  • Reply 38 of 41
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    tkell31 said:
    Apple makes great products and because they do people don't need to upgrade very often.  I'm sure the 7 will do "well," but will that be enough to improve the share price?  Seems unlikely.  Cook's dumber than I think he is if he really believes a new camera, thinner phone, slightly better battery etc will get enough people excited about the 7 to have it sell better than the 6.

Until they show they can come up with a new product line that will drive revenue growth again OR monetize the billion or so users the stock is going to languish in the 80s and will eventually erode further as fewer people pay the premium.  In five years they will turn out to look pretty stupid buying shares for 100+ when it is trading at a 30% discount to that.

Mmm ...

Tim's "can't live without" feature for the new iPhone Pro (and likely the iPad Pro devices (per Phil) could be:
    • hardware
    • software
    • services
    • any or all of the above

I suspect that it will be mostly service-related -- best exploited by the latest hardware and software -- and have appeal to the consumer  and enterprise.

edited May 2016
  • Reply 39 of 41
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member
    sog35 said:
    tkell31 said:

If you really believe what you just posted you should sell some call options and you would make a fortune.

But of course you are only spewing some bs you don't really believe in.

All Apple has to do is fire Tim Cook and replace him with a decent CEO and the stock will be at $130 in a matter of weeks.
    Hey I sold puts for years when things were looking great.  I've sold calls as well and will continue to do it while things look...boring?  Dismal probably isn't the right word, but dull is almost as bad for a company that relies on sales growth of one product for most of its revenue.  Sure I will buy some other calls out of the money to limit the downside, but I think that is for peace of mind more than an actual need to worry about the share price suddenly exploding.  

You think Apple is going to fire their Queen?  Haha.  Anyone with a brain can see how hard the board is working to try and prop up the share price and if they were going to fire him why bother doing that?
  • Reply 40 of 41
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    fallenjt said:
    qwwera said:
    Sight unseen, I want the iPhone 8 instead.
    I'm shooting for iPhone 10.
    iPhone 10 is for wimps.
    I'm waiting for iPhone 11.
    You see, most blokes, you know, will be using iPhone 10. You're on ten here, all the way up on iPhone 10. Where can you go from there? Where? Nowhere. Exactly.
    What I'll be doing, is getting that extra push over the cliff, you know; iPhone 11.