Ex-Siri team to unveil 'Viv' virtual assistant next week in quest for ubiquitous AI

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,868member
    knowitall said:
    Always the same story, big company buys startup, bla bla about the super tech and people acquired, followed by exit of the people that did the actual work and petering out of all that was acquired in a short period of time. 
    This is a nice example, funny people defending Apples Siri, it was clearly an inferior product without improvement and depending on central servers while not nessesary.
    So, Apple should not buy Siri2, instead they should invest in it (if it is any good) and acknowledge that Apple doesn't understand AI.
    Apple understands that it is way into the future for A.I. and the company that nails it will need a OS desktop, mobile (ecosystem), dev tools X-Code level, new software tools like Swift, in house Hardware design (cpu's and specialize chips), combined with lots of money. Viv, Google, Facebook, or Amazon have none of those things in house at Apple's level. Whatever A.I. will be can't be done without direct in house control of the hardware design and engineering.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,868member
    cali said:
    It's highly possible. Siri can kill
    Goog.

My biggest concern is the slow rate that Siri is advancing at. Where is Watson? Voice search is the future. This is why Apple needs to keep acquiring technology including viv and pump billions into this tech.

With Goog making most of it's money off iOS devices, cutting off that arm almost completely will bring them to their knees. They'll fall to Yahoo profits maybe less.
    Google will be falling because of Facebook who will be number in Ad profit in 2-3 years.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    danox said:
    knowitall said:
    Always the same story, big company buys startup, bla bla about the super tech and people acquired, followed by exit of the people that did the actual work and petering out of all that was acquired in a short period of time. 
    This is a nice example, funny people defending Apples Siri, it was clearly an inferior product without improvement and depending on central servers while not nessesary.
    So, Apple should not buy Siri2, instead they should invest in it (if it is any good) and acknowledge that Apple doesn't understand AI.

Apple understands that it is way into the future for A.I. and the company that nails it will need a OS desktop, mobile (ecosystem), dev tools X-Code level, new software tools like Swift, in house Hardware design (cpu's and specialize chips), combined with lots of money
    Viv, Google, Facebook, or Amazon have none of those things in house at Apple's level. Whatever A.I. will be can't be done without direct in house control of the hardware design and engineering.
    Where the heck did you come up with that claim? Ever play "Go"? Alpha Go has,  A "deep mind" would look into it and what it means.  Pun intended. Look that one up to. 
    edited May 2016