Apple eyeing 800,000-square-foot property for autonomous car project, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2016
Apple, Google parent company Alphabet and a number of established car makers are reportedly on the hunt for prime real estate in the San Francisco Bay Area to serve their respective autonomous vehicle projects, with Apple in particular said to be looking at an 800,000-square-foot plot.

Apple's undeveloped 43-acre plot in San Jose (red) sits across from the 101 Tech campus (blue), where it leases 300,000 square-feet of office space.

During Hudson Pacific Properties's quarterly earnings call on Thursday, CEO Victor Coleman said his company is seeing a "definitive movement" from self-driving cars and research and development facilities, reports The Wall Street Journal. The comments referenced concerns of Silicon Valley real estate demand amid a perceived slowdown in tech sector growth.

"We're seeing the Toyotas of the world, the Teslas of the world, BMWs, Mercedes. Ford now is out in the marketplace looking for space," Coleman said. "I haven't even mentioned the 400,000 square feet that Google's looking to take down and the 800,000 square feet that Apple's looking to take down for their autonomous cars as well."

The supposed plots are small in comparison to standard car manufacturing plants, including a roughly 5.3 million-square-foot facility operated by electric car pioneer Tesla. Even Apple's own Campus 2 headquarters comes in at around 2.8 million square feet, eclipsing the footprint of the rumored 800,000-square-foot lot mentioned in today's report.

However, Apple is indeed said to be mulling a "Project Titan" expansion, one that could involve the construction of facilities dedicated to R&D and potentially pilot manufacturing. AppleInsider sources in September revealed the company was investigating development potential of a recently purchased site in San Jose. The 43-acre plot currently boasts nearly 2 million square feet of office space that could be converted into an automotive center.

AppleInsider exclusively reported on Apple's top-secret car facilities last year, noting a bulk of R&D operations appeared to be located in a nondescript facility in Sunnyvale, Calif., dubbed "SG5." The company is also rumored to have international teams working on potential branded car offerings, including a small German automotive lab detailed in a report last month

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Give me a job Apple. I'm tired of commuting to work. this site would give me 5 minute commute.
    cali
  • Reply 2 of 20
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Here's how it's going to roll; Alphabet will buy Tesla, and it will be game over.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    bobschlob said:
    Here's how it's going to roll; Alphabet will buy Tesla, and it will be game over.
    I think Musk has to much pride to sell out to a company like Alphabet. 
    cali
  • Reply 4 of 20
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    How about fixing all the bugs in your existing products first?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    tokyojimu said:
    Could we have a 'dull, repetitive and completely irrelevant comment' dropdown attached to the message editor?  I think it would make life a lot easier for a lot of people. They could drop nonsense into conversations without having to type. 
    jax44calinolamacguy
  • Reply 6 of 20
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Rayz2016 said:
    tokyojimu said:
    Could we have a 'dull, repetitive and completely irrelevant comment' dropdown attached to the message editor?  I think it would make life a lot easier for a lot of people. They could drop nonsense into conversations without having to type. 

Why should we make it easier for those people? They'll just post more shit.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 7 of 20
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Dome the donut hole.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    quinney said:
    Dome the donut hole.

It's not a doughnut it's a, ugh, torus ...

edited May 2016
  • Reply 9 of 20
    iushntiushnt Posts: 23member
    JinTech said:
    bobschlob said:
    What do you mean by a  company like 'Alphabet'?  It's a very successful company
  • Reply 10 of 20
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Wait, I thought AI reported that Apple was putting a freeze on Project Titan hiring?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    bobschlob said:
    Really?  Tesla, which made about 50K vehicles last year, and is forecasting to make about 80K this year, is going to totally take over the automobile industry with Alphabet's leadership?

Getting to the "autonomous future" is about 25% getting the technology perfected, and 75% changing regulations (at multiple levels of government), legal framework, and insurance industry.  There may be limited autonomy (e.g. highway driving) in a few states / locations in 5 years, but it will take much longer for all of the pieces to come together to allow truly autonomous vehicles to become mainstream.  This isn't changing the world in 10 years - although it might in 20.  In the meantime, I would say multiple companies have a chance to get the right products and systems.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    iushnt said:
    JinTech said:
    What do you mean by a  company like 'Alphabet'?  It's a very successful company
    The company that Apple made rich? I don't think so.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I wonder about the risks -- even though it's remote, it's potentially catastrophic -- of locating such a significant manufacturing asset in a major seismic zone. Not to mention the costs (compared to say, the South-East, where all the luxury carmakers are). 
  • Reply 14 of 20
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    fallenjt said:
    Give me a job Apple. I'm tired of commuting to work. this site would give me 5 minute commute.
    There are thousands of open jobs listed on Apple's website. 
  • Reply 15 of 20
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

I wonder about the risks -- even though it's remote, it's potentially catastrophic -- of locating such a significant manufacturing asset in a major seismic zone. Not to mention the costs (compared to say, the South-East, where all the luxury carmakers are). 
    Because earthquakes are remote, I think the bigger issue is the land and labor costs.   While this might be fine for the short run for development, for actual manufacturing they've got to go where land is cheap and labor is cheaper.   It's got to wind up in the South although what would be really great is if once actual manufacturing starts, some of these companies took over the long abandoned U.S. car company manufacturing sites in and around Detroit.   I'd bet any of these companies could get very favorable deals from Michigan if they'd bring factories and decent paying jobs there.    It would be very sad if these cars wind up getting manufactured in China and shipped to Europe and the U.S.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Wait, I thought AI reported that Apple was putting a freeze on Project Titan hiring?
    It's always such a telephone game. Maybe they had a temporary freeze until they had someone to replace Steve Zadesky as lead.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    bobschlob said:
    just like Google TV is everywhere. game over?
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 18 of 20
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member

Like Korea, China or Japan? California is the equal to those places in earthquakes.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member

bobschlob said:
    Like Motorola or Nest? Google is next to Amazon in hardware dumb and without profit.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 20 of 20
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,294member
    Is still surprises me that some doubt Apple is going to make a car.