Apple Maps directions take to Regional Transit in Sacramento

Posted:
in iPhone
Sacramentans and visitors to Sactown alike can now ride the rails -- or the bus -- with complete navigational confidence, as Apple has brought Sacramento Regional Transit integration to Apple Maps.

Available conveyances include Sacramento's wide-reaching bus network as well as the city's light rail service. The now-hilariously-named Yolobus, which serves Sacramento International Airport, is also included.

Apple has been slowly but steadily expanding the reach of its transit routing network. Last month alone, the company added support for Portland, Oregon; Montreal, Canada; and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Meanwhile, many major international cities -- including public transit standard bearers like Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Seoul -- remain unserved. It's not clear exactly why Apple is taking so long to extend coverage around the world, but at least some news on the topic is likely to arrive at next month's Worldwide Developers Conference.

There, Apple is expected to unveil iOS 10 and will almost certainly touch on the next generation of its in-house mapping service. The company has been spotted operating its fleet of data-collecting mapping vans around the clock, and may even announce a new Street View-like offering at the show.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    antonpabloantonpablo Posts: 90member
    I hope Apple's Sacramento transit directions take DeMarcus Cousins to another city..and stay there for good.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 2 of 3
    In other Maps related news, I noticed the other day that a large area around Springfield, MA has been treated to Flyover coverage. While cool, since I live in that area, I also find it a bit odd that there area still major areas that don't have Flyover yet but a second (or third) tier city like Springfield gets it. 
  • Reply 3 of 3
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    In other Maps related news, I noticed the other day that a large area around Springfield, MA has been treated to Flyover coverage. While cool, since I live in that area, I also find it a bit odd that there area still major areas that don't have Flyover yet but a second (or third) tier city like Springfield gets it. 
    I think it's probably just a matter of what they collect along the flightpath when they are going over more populated areas, or at least that would be my guess. I've noticed it too, in other smaller cities around the country, but they seem to be at least relatively close to bigger cities. Perhaps they just collected imagery on their way to or from Boston, for example.