'iPhone 7' schematics suggest dual camera, Smart Connector will be exclusive to 5.5" Plus model

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2016
A new series of images rumored to show the design of both the "iPhone 7" and "iPhone 7 Plus" suggest that Apple's larger 5.5-inch model will be the only one to receive a dual-lens camera, as well as the magnetic Smart Connector.

Alleged "iPhone 7 Plus" schematic, via USwitch.

Alleged factory designs for both models were leaked on Wednesday by USwitch. They show an "iPhone 7" design largely similar to the current iPhone 6s, while the bigger "iPhone 7 Plus" appears to receive the most significant changes.

In particular, the design shows a larger, oval-shaped camera protrusion on the back of the device, suggesting it could house two lenses, as has been rumored.

Notably, back in January, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities suggested Apple's dual-camera iSight array could be exclusive to the "iPhone 7 Plus." It's believed that the design is based on imaging technology that Apple obtained through its acquisition of LinX in 2015.

Alleged "iPhone 7" schematic, via USwitch.

In addition, the so-called "iPhone 7 Plus" also features three dots presumably for a magnetic Smart Connector port on the back of the device, toward the bottom. That's also in line with earlier leaks showing designs with a Smart Connector, which could be used for charging.

Notably, both the "iPhone 7" and "iPhone 7 Plus" designs lack legacy 3.5-millimeter headphone jacks on the bottom of the device. It's rumored that Apple plans to eliminate the headphone jack, leaving users to rely on either Lightning-connected headphones, or a wireless Bluetooth pair.

Both iPhone models are also shown to have protruding camera lenses on the back, suggesting the camera "bump" that has existed since the iPhone 6 will remain. That contradicts some earlier rumors, which suggested Apple would utilize a new, thinner camera module to return to a flat-backed design.

The confusion regarding the upcoming "iPhone 7" launch may be an indication that Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook's efforts to improve secrecy, particularly within the company's extensive supply chain, are finally bearing fruit. Back in 2012, he vowed to "double down" on secrecy, though leaks of upcoming products continued to surface.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    I would upgrade for things such as a cool new design, better camera, better battery life, better screen crack resistance, better waterproofing, and a less reflective and/or brighter screen.

Of course, rumors are just rumors, but so far, there really doesn't seem to be any reason for us iPhone 6s users to update. The design is essentially the same, the camera is the same, and there don't seem to be any new features unless you count removing the headphone port. A faster processor would be nice, but realistically, the current iPhone 6s is very, very fast. 
    larrya6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 2 of 19
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

First in...

I'll say it for SOG, Neil did not call Ming-Chi Kuo and Apple insider, are you happy now!

The issue why these rumor is not accurate, Apple is most likely building multiply version and doing testing to see how well each idea works in the real world. We will have to wait and see what they finally decide on. I go back the watch, there was rumors apples was doing a watch but no picture or prototypes leaked out. These leaks if real are design to keep people from buying something else. 

edited May 2016 mike1chia
  • Reply 3 of 19
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Hmmm. I really dislike all of this. 
    So almost identical design, no headphone jack, and fancy camera only on the plus?

larrya6Sgoldfishhjmnl
  • Reply 4 of 19
    jbishop1039jbishop1039 Posts: 257member
    Looks good, I'm in. I like the Pro model, or whatever they call it eventually.
    tmay
  • Reply 5 of 19
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I think I will go for the plus this time. Still kind of bummed about no headphone jack although I really only use it on airplanes with my AKG noise cancelling headphones. I guess it will require a dongle.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    dws-2 said:
    I would upgrade for things such as a cool new design, better camera, better battery life, better screen crack resistance, better waterproofing, and a less reflective and/or brighter screen.

Of course, rumors are just rumors, but so far, there really doesn't seem to be any reason for us iPhone 6s users to update. The design is essentially the same, the camera is the same, and there don't seem to be any new features unless you count removing the headphone port. A faster processor would be nice, but realistically, the current iPhone 6s is very, very fast. 
    The data suggests that the vast majority of users do NOT upgrade every year.  After one full year of the iPhone 6 series being on sale, Apple provided data which indicated only 40% of total iPhone user base had upgrade to a 6 (that isn't iPhone 5s users - but rather all of iPhone 5s, 5, 5c, 4s, 4, etc).  As we are seeing as well, that was an outsized year of upgrades due to the larger screens, so we can estimate that overall upgrade rate is lower.

So it isn't about enticing a 6s owner to upgrade (although that is great when it happens), but rather 6, 5s, and earlier.  I understand the media also focuses on the same thing - what is different from last model to next model - which is understandable - but it isn't how most users will look at it.  Is an iPhone 7 enticing enough to upgrade from the older models.  Of course, the "buzz factor" of the phone plays into that equation, so if an iPhone 7 is viewed as "meh", then some are likely to hold back upgrading, impacting the sales over course of a year.

Certainly, for the iPhone 7 (4.7") model, we are not seeing rumours that indicate much new.  Those leaks of course based mostly on these supposedly leaked schematics.  Of course we are highly likely to get improvements in CPU/GPU, screen (reflectivity, etc), camera and s/w only for 7 series.  Also on table are any new internal chips, sensors, which improve experience or enable new use cases.

Perhaps Apple is trying to keep the ASP up (in the face of lower priced iPhone SE model) by enticing more to the 7+ unit with yet more exclusive features.  Or perhaps the components necessary are in shorter supply, and thus restricted to the lower run + model.  

Certainly not what I want, as I will not be getting a 5.5" phone.  When I upgrade from my 5s, it will be to a 4.7" model.
    edited May 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 7 of 19
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    The implementation of dual camera is dull.  Apple has an excellent opportunity of implementing dual camera to make it stand out of all the iPhone imitators like it did in 2010 with the iPad. 
  • Reply 8 of 19
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    No audio jack is fine with me.  Bluetooth earbuds (Jaybird) are my standard now and work well.  No audio jack = better water resistance.
    tmayai46cyberzombie
  • Reply 9 of 19
    jcdinkinsjcdinkins Posts: 114member
    5s here.  I'll upgrade.  Never took the plunge on the 6/6s and want a bigger screen now.  The last paragraph on the uSwitch site says the renders are 3-4 months old.  That's confusing.  If this is the latest rumor why are the renders 3-4 months old?
    edited May 2016 ai46mark dodel
  • Reply 10 of 19
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I've had my 5S for over 2.5 years now yet from what I've seen so far, the 7 just doesn't seem to offer enough for me to want to upgrade yet. Of course I'll wait for the official launch in September to see if there are yet any surprises that might sway me in favour of said upgrade. But I doubt it.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 11 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Be sure not to mention that Ming is backtracking on his earlier prediction that we'll see two plus models; one with and one without dual cameras. Must let him ride off into the sunshine again.
    edited May 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 12 of 19
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    No audio jack is fine with me.  Bluetooth earbuds (Jaybird) are my standard now and work well.  No audio jack = better water resistance.
    BT = reduced audio quality and battery life.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 13 of 19
    SylvainLSylvainL Posts: 28member
    iPhone 6 here... These pictures could be from a prototype or something. It doesn't mean they are exactly what the new iPhone 7 will look like. I don't really care about the 3.5mm headphone jack. This is just a connector and I rarely use it anyway. What will happen if there is only one port for headphone and charging? Same controversy as the MacBook 12? I've owned 5/5S and now a 6. I really like the screen of the 6 but I miss the "brick" style of the 5. I doubt this will ever happen but I would prefer a little more "square" and thicker design so they can put a bigger battery in and feel better in my hands. Otherwise, we all already know the iPhone 7 will be an awesome phone. Will I buy it? I don't think so, my 6 is doing fine and is fast enough for all my daily tasks. No really need to update to a new phone at this time. I'm more excited about IOS10 than the iPhone 7.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    ireland said:
    Be sure not to mention that Ming is backtracking on his earlier prediction that we'll see two plus models; one with and one without dual cameras. Must let him ride off into the sunshine again.
    Yep, Ming can say whatever he wants, even change his "predictions" 10 times, only the last one counts : I call it the "Trump Rule" (sic).
    And its always put as Apple decides this, decided that.. Like he had any insight in the decision process which total tripe.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    I call BS in these "schematics".  No one has a clue.  Apple security has indeed beefed up   
  • Reply 16 of 19
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    I'm not believing the Smart Connector will turn up on the iPhone till Ming Chi says so.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    I think that most of what Ming reports is probably based on truth, but that it can fall apart when it comes to interpretation of what snippets he has managed to glean.  Apple likely get their suppliers to produce a wide range of samples and prototype stuff, some of which doesn't get incorporated in a final product, so Ming's data, though likely accurate, is a bag of mixed signals that he tries to guess the meaning of.  That would be why his guesses sometimes miss and things don't eventuate.

I still think people are in for a big surprise with the iP7 and that the more radical stuff being forecast for 2017 and later will appear this year.  Given the decline in sales, a 6SS would be suicidal.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    hjmnlhjmnl Posts: 31member
    All leaks I've seen so far aren't appealing to me design wise. I've seen an edge to edge mockup with no button on the Internet. The back was a bit curved. Wish the iPhone 7 would be astonishing like that one and get rid of the ugly antenna stripes. Wish it would be waterproof too so I could make nice holiday movies in the sea.