Exodus of original Siri team continues at Apple

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    volcan said:
    foggyhill said:

Search that demand intelligence and I get garbage; ALL THE TIME. 
    Replacing my search words for the ones it thinks I mean. .. If I put all those words in... I WANT MY WORDS TO BE USED.

Well, if your query is unintelligible, they'll do the best they can, but they aren't mind readers...yet.
    I've been an engineer for 26 years and got 4 university degrees, two (or maybe 3, since one is a graduate diploma) of them masters. I think I can write a query.

Thanks for the insult though; another thing you want to add?
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 42 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    volcan said:
    macplusplus said:

If wrong answer or no answer at all, you get the correct answer or some answer when you try a second time. You don't have such a chance when some relevant advertising makes you believe that you got the correct answer.
    I rarely see any advertising because I'm often searching for programming examples, scientific data, historical records or application how-tis which have no relevant advertising. I find their search algorithms to be superb for my needs. 
    I don't recall advertising instead of what I wanted when I do a Google Now search, but perhaps I'm not looking for it. FWIW tho Google Search is incredibly effective for me as a rule, Sometimes it's a fail that requires a second attempt but rarely. 
    techlover
  • Reply 43 of 79
    nhughes said:
    wood1208 said:
    Be Aware. Is this site called "Appleinsider" turning against Apple ? All the articles I see is deliberately pointing issues which may not even exists ?
    We don't work for Apple. We cover the company -- good and bad news, and everything in between. The original Siri team is almost all gone. Just the facts.
    Really? You're telling me there is no editorializing in the title reprints and the article selection, or sometimes article rewrites,  itself... Oh my... Must be losing my mind then if I see all those things.
    singularity
  • Reply 44 of 79
    Is Viv an actual product for sale or is it just a demo that the tech press is drooling over?
    You know the answer to that, a demo running a computer is obviously worth at least 1/10th the value of Apple.. Minimum.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 45 of 79
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    foggyhill said:

I've been an engineer for 26 years and got 4 university degrees, two (or maybe 3, since one is a graduate diploma) of them masters. I think I can write a query.

Sorry, but I find your writing unintelligible much of the time. I just assumed that English was not your first language.
    techlover
  • Reply 46 of 79
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I like what I read about Viv. Siri needs to meet Viv. 
    propod
  • Reply 47 of 79
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    nhughes said:
    wood1208 said:
    Be Aware. Is this site called "Appleinsider" turning against Apple ? All the articles I see is deliberately pointing issues which may not even exists ?
    We don't work for Apple. We cover the company -- good and bad news, and everything in between. The original Siri team is almost all gone. Just the facts.
    Members of the original SIRI team leaving is no big deal. Apple has had a bunch of PhDs doing research in the field for years.
    I think SIRI is very good and is getting better.  Let's wait for WWDC.  I think SIRI will blow everything else out of the water.
    It's easy to do a wiz bang demo when the app is not accessible to the public.

Novauris

Vocal IQ

• Reply 48 of 79
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Mmm ...

Circa 1961, Las Vegas, NV -- In a meeting with Henry Dearman, Head of Data Processing for REECO, the prime contractor for the Atomic Energy Commission's Nevada Test Site.

Henry buzzes his secretary, Sherry Horn.  Sherry enters:

Henry says:  "Write a letter to what's-his-name -- you know what I want to say".

Sherry leaves and returns in a few minutes with a type-written letter.

Henry reads and signs the letter.

Why can't Siri be more like Sherry?

wonkothesane
  • Reply 49 of 79
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    volcan said:
    macplusplus said:

Siri is not a search engine. It is just an interaction method. You can instruct Siri to search Google as well. So, that query will fail when searched by Siri and not when typed into Google's search box... Is that what you mean?
    Not sure but to clarify, if Siri is left to her own methodology and not instructed to search using Google there appears to be a hodgepodge of inconsistency resulting from the first interaction with the Siri back end. It decides whether it will use some special dedicated action or search Bing, Yelp, Wikipedia, Wolfram or whatever. These are all disparate resources belonging to other third party entities resulting in varying levels of success and often completely different presentations. On the other hand Google's results are more integrated into their own database, although they also have special relationships with third parties. It just seems that queries are returned with better interpretation from Google, at least that is my impression and experience.

Furthermore when Google is really felling lucky about a successful hit, they will vocally read back the entire best answer with lots of detail, whereas Siri will often just say "this is what I found on the web".
    Everyone's results are more integrated into their own database, not only Google's. Google Now is specific to Google, if there were a Wolfram Voice then its interpretation also would be as good as Google's. There is Bing, there is Cortana, all of these are more or less good in their closed ecosystem. So do we blame Apple for not building its own search engine or what? Of course a "talking Amazon" will be better than a "talking Google"... A "talking Facebook"? I can't even imagine that :-/

Siri is not a "talking Google" and it doesn't claim to be. It is not a "service" either, like Apple Music or iTunes. It is just part of the overall user experience of iOS devices, nothing more.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 50 of 79
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member

Mmm ...

Circa 1961, Las Vegas, NV -- In a meeting with Henry Dearman, Head of Data Processing for REECO, the prime contractor for the Atomic Energy Commission's Nevada Test Site.

Henry says:  "Write a letter to what's-his-name -- you know what I want to say".

Well, if Siri were like Sherry in your example, I'd wonder why there's any need for... Henry.

;-)
    techloverRayz2016
  • Reply 51 of 79
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    bsimpsen said:

Mmm ...

Well, if Siri were like Sherry in your example, I'd wonder why there's any need for... Henry.

;-)

Henry had the authority/responsibility to write the the letter!

Sherry was invisible except when needed -- and she understood everything work-related that Henry was doing.

edited May 2016
  • Reply 52 of 79
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    bsimpsen said:

Mmm ...

;-)
    Like your comment, reminds me of the movie Her.

If Siri were more like Samantha from Her I wonder if Henry would need a significant other. :)
  • Reply 53 of 79
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Apple devices tend to be good at simplifying the life of the user. E.g. I don't need to ask Google Now why flamingos are pink, but I do need to ask Siri to let me know when a friend is arriving.

It would be nice to see a next-generation leap in Siri. I.E. Not just adding another data source, but rather more on the intelligence side of natural language translation. I don't necessarily think Viv is the answer here since the demonstration utilised very specific, very structured queries(action+time+location), the exact sort of specificity that people have been critical about with Siri. Other criticisms of Siri is the seemingly random unavailability of text-to-speech and inconsistent answers for the exact same query. E.g. Asking "Is there anywhere I have to be soon?" may pull up the location map or your pending appointment, or just get a wise crack from Siri.

I have seen Siri's intelligence advance over the years however. For example if I ask siri to call Mike, she knows that it's the mike I call most often, on the number I most frequently use. (Rather than say providing a long list of possible matches or phone numbers - something Siri only does when it's not clear-cut who to call/text.) This is most noticeable on the watch.

As for Viv: I also don't think that talking to a virtual assistant may even be the best approach for deeper AI integration here. There are a few cases where voice simplifies long commands, but proactively it would be nicer if apps such as reminders automatically built a list of universal todos from scraped emails and so on (rather than just a notification that an email has arrived in notification centre), a sort of "Genius" list that knows which items are a priority and which are just noise from phone calls, text messages and social media. That kind of intelligence could be applied to many of Apple's stock apps, calendar weakly attempts to do this at the moment, but it can be taken much much further. Importantly if a suggestion comes up, I want to be able to tap it to see where it came from/who with/what time it was made.

tl,dr: Siri progresses slowly, but I think it's not necessarily the best approach to deep AI integration. The problems with Siri are less about what it does and more about getting Siri to understand you accurately and consistently, something that Viv didn't truly advance.
    Rayz2016propod
  • Reply 54 of 79
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    Siri and its clones are interesting but still very immature and nonessential parlor trick technologies. The makers of these features really need to find a problem that needs to be solved, perhaps offloading over burdened pilots or bus drivers. Ordering a pizza or answering trivia questions is fun but it's still toy-ish.
    propod
  • Reply 55 of 79
    volcan said:
    foggyhill said:

Sorry, but I find your writing unintelligible much of the time. I just assumed that English was not your first language.
    I've got 11 years of US and Canadian university in English under my belt.
    Obviously, a thesis can be written in complete gibberish; that's how they're usually done (sic)

As for writing Google queries, only masters of the verb and verve like Twain and Shakespeare are up for that challenge...

Take care of your own poorly backed musings before commenting on anyone's skills.
    Currently, you don't have the grounds to attempt such an impudent insult.

PS: I don't believe you're sorry at all.

• Reply 56 of 79

Mmm ...

Surely, no one replaces Sherry.... (obviously, you should answer, "stop calling me Shirley" ;-)
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 57 of 79
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    foggyhill said:
    nhughes said:
    Really? You're telling me there is no editorializing in the title reprints and the article selection, or sometimes article rewrites,  itself... Oh my... Must be losing my mind then if I see all those things.
    We do the best we can, but obviously you cannot possibly make all of the people happy all of the time. 
  • Reply 58 of 79
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    Some people are able to leverage Siri and some of us are not.  It fails to work so often that I have avoided it when I should know that it would do something simple.  
  • Reply 59 of 79
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    Show me...
  • Reply 60 of 79
    It's 9pm. I'm going to take a one hour nap before working my night job. "Hey Siri" wake me up at ten o clock" Siri sets an alarm for the next morning. I'm late to work, get written up, lose a $750 quarterly bonus. "Hey Siri, thanks a lot. "