Latest Taylor Swift ad for Apple Music features 'For You' playlists & The Darkness

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Pop singer Taylor Swift on Thursday posted her latest Apple Music ad on Twitter, using her image and following to sell the service's "For You" playlist recommendations.

The video spot is relatively straightforward, with Swift picking out a playlist called "Friday Night Rocks!" and dancing around her living room. As with her other commercials a specific song is featured, in this case The Darkness' "I Believe in a Thing Called Love."

Apple Music content head Larry Jackson recently told Fast Company that a series of ads with Swift are on the way. Unusually, there was no ad agency involved in creating them, and the campaign was reportedly Swift's idea. The only other people directly involved are said to have been Jackson and director Anthony Mandler.

Dance like no one's watching @AppleMusic @thedarknesshttps://t.co/QfX9l0EXX7

-- Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13)

It's unknown how many more ads are left in the series, but Apple is intentionally spacing them out to maximize their impact.

Celebrities have become an important weapon in advertising Apple products. While Swift is perhaps the best-known example, a series of recent Apple Watch ads, for instance, featured people like Nick Jonas, Alice Cooper, and Chlo? Sevigny. Actor Michael B. Jordan and former NBA player Kobe Bryant appeared together in an Apple TV commercial.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I would Friday night rock her like no one's watching.. Except for my iPhone recording the whole thing.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I would Friday night rock her like no one's watching.. Except for my iPhone recording the whole thing.

You know you said that out loud, right?  :o

Judging by the last ad, I was expecting her to trip and fall through the glass doors. 
    edited May 2016 moreck
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Wait a minute… They didn't name the programming language after her, did they?
    messagepad2100jasenj1mr omoreckharcker
  • Reply 4 of 16
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Dance like no one is watching? But wait she's being recorded and she knows millions of teens will be watching and shes getting paid for it. Can you get any faker?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    There's no joke at the end!? The first ad was great because of the fall. The second one needs her mom or the maid or some other person to say something or step into frame at the end.

Bad show Apple.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 6 of 16
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Ha ha, I like it. Really 80's, or is it 90's music and dance moves. They should get other pop / rock stars doing similar stuff to totally out of character music. Its cool and its funny.
    moreck
  • Reply 7 of 16
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    You know, I am looking at the 24 stories currently featured on my main AI page. NOT ONE.... NOT ONE features something needle-moving about Apple, or its products or services. We have stories on encryption, Taylor Swift, Google, grandfathers, Cook and Ive being recognized as automotive geniuses, teens lost at sea, exodus at Siri, 2017(!) iPhone rumors, Disney Infinity, Pebble..... I could go on.

Meanwhile, the stock is in the toilet at $92 and change, off 31% from its high in the past year. It's below the August 2015 Flash Crash low (when Cook felt compelled to call in to Cramer about China). The only substantive appearance that Cook made in the media about the company and its narrative for the future amounted to pablum.

Frank Zappa once famously said in a different context about something else I love, "jazz isn't dead, it smells funny."
    edited May 2016 bobschlob
  • Reply 8 of 16
    LoneStar88LoneStar88 Posts: 325member
    You know, I am looking at the 24 stories currently featured on my main AI page. NOT ONE.... NOT ONE features something needle-moving about Apple, or its products or services. We have stories on encryption, Taylor Swift, Google, grandfathers, Cook and Ive being recognized as automotive geniuses, teens lost at sea, exodus at Siri, 2017(!) iPhone rumors, Disney Infinity, Pebble..... I could go on.

Meanwhile, the stock is in the toilet at $92 and change, off 31% from its high in the past year. It's below the August 2015 Flash Crash low (when Cook felt compelled to call in to Cramer about China). The only substantive appearance that Cook made in the media about the company and its narrative for the future amounted to pablum.

Frank Zappa once famously said in a different context about something else I love, "jazz isn't dead, it smells funny."
    As if Apple is somehow responsible for making your existence so booooorrrring!
    moreck
  • Reply 9 of 16
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

As if Apple is somehow responsible for making your existence so booooorrrring!
    Who told you my existence in "booooorrrring"?!
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 10 of 16
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

How any big announces between the iPhone App Store release and the iPad. Two years later, about the same as now. I guess Apple should have packed their bags and gone home then. Apple has a thousand people working on a new watch coming, a laptop refresh, a heavy foray into medical devices... I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Who knows what.s really in their lab considering they spend 4 times more on r&d than a few year ago?

Apple unlike Google toots its horn when it's about to run you down!
    moreck
  • Reply 11 of 16

jasenj1 said:
    There's no joke at the end!? The first ad was great because of the fall. The second one needs her mom or the maid or some other person to say something or step into frame at the end.

Bad show Apple.
    This is targeted at her fans to bring the to Apple Music, not you.
    online ads are generally not ads for the public like on broadcast tv
  • Reply 12 of 16

peteo said:
    Dance like no one is watching? But wait she's being recorded and she knows millions of teens will be watching and shes getting paid for it. Can you get any faker?
    Commenting about it like it's really bothering you is pretty fake... Is that a meta commentary? 
    moreck
  • Reply 13 of 16
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    jasenj1 said:

Bad show Apple.
    Agree completely. (and your idea would have been cute-funny)
    The commercial just peeters-out.    Yeah... It's Taylor dancing; The End... Got it.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    The Darkness had a really successful first album in the UK back in 2003. I am surprised Taylor Swift knows about them. Were they big in the USA?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    dachar said:
    The Darkness had a really successful first album in the UK back in 2003. I am surprised Taylor Swift knows about them. Were they big in the USA?
    That song was. They're still touring too.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    This ad would be more memorable if it featured Eddy Cue.

>:x