Google delays support for Android tech mimicking Apple's 3D Touch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    cali said:
    How many iKnockoffs will
    support this though?

will probably take an additional year before we see this on the market.
    I'd say 2 years before it is widespread in high end Android phones.
    How long will it take before a substantial number of apps support it.... A long time.

By that time, all Iphones in circulation and their apps, will have supported it for years.

This year Apple will also finish its transition to 64 bit, something they started 2.5 years ago.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    Squeezing my phone screen has been totally useful so far. I mean, all that space it takes up in the phone and the tradeoffs have been totally worth it. Android users are going to totally miss out on this killer feature.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

I don't use the 3D shortcuts much on apps, but while typing, the 3D touch option to turn the keyboard to a trackpad to position the cursor anywhere is really indispensable.

• Reply 24 of 24
    starwarsstarwars Posts: 72member
    gatorguy said:
    But...but....but...the Android "software engineers" have been claiming all along that Android supports pressure sensitive displays since day one. Therefore there can't be any delay since the feature is already there.
    You might be conflating things. 

"getPressure() API has been available since API 1 (which was introduced with Android 1.0). In other words, it’s likely that Android has had the ability to use force touch since the very beginning. Looking at the history, API Level 5 added to the original implementation of getPressure() which implies that it because “useful” in API Level 5, whereas it appears to have been only “stubbed out” in API Level 1."

So pressure sensitive API's since version 1 of Android?: Yes
    Force-Touchy like feature? Apparently delayed if the article is correct. 
    android getpressure api hint: getPressure() = touchend_time - touchstart_time