Despite Q2 sales dip, Apple's Macs, iPad and iPhone continue to outperform the industry

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    cnocbui said:
    cropr said:
    DED is a little bit ignoring the facts. 

...Apple has a technological lead in smartphones, for laptops this is not so clear.  ...

What technological lead? 
    Touch 3D.  Google Android has successfully copied Apple fingerprint technology in the new Android OS.  This is the reason there are more people switching from iOS to Android this quarter.  
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Google Android has successfully copied Apple fingerprint technology in the new Android OS after two years.  Two years is approximately the time needed for copycats to catch up with Apple technology.  This is why Google Android has not able to copy Touch 3D. Last year some Android smartphone makers copied Apple fingerprint technology by themselves.  But they are inferior.  Google is the greatest threat to Apple technology.  Steve Jobs has foreseen this as early as eight years ago.  
  • Reply 23 of 35
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    spudwood said:
    1080p at 120fps because most screens on android run at a better quality for VR at 2k or 4k. 

Huawei had an android phone with pressure sensitive screen before iPhone. 

Not very bright, are you.

What does VR have to do with a video camera capturing 1080P at 120FPS? Oh right, absolutely NOTHING.

Huawei "announced" a phone a few weeks before the iPhone 6S, but it never shipped until well after the iPhone 6S. Plus it doesn't have OS support, so it's a kludge feature.

Oh, BTW, do you remember an Apple product called the Apple Watch? You know, the one with a force sensitive screen that came out LONG BEFORE Huawei announced their Mate S.
    ai46baconstangradarthekatpscooter63patchythepirate
  • Reply 24 of 35
    spudwood said:
    1080p at 120fps because most screens on android run at a better quality for VR at 2k or 4k. 

Huawei had an android phone with pressure sensitive screen before iPhone. 

Not very bright, are you.

What does VR have to do with a video camera capturing 1080P at 120FPS? Oh right, absolutely NOTHING.

Huawei "announced" a phone a few weeks before the iPhone 6S, but it never shipped until well after the iPhone 6S. Plus it doesn't have OS support, so it's a kludge feature.

Oh, BTW, do you remember an Apple product called the Apple Watch? You know, the one with a force sensitive screen that came out LONG BEFORE Huawei announced their Mate S.
    So Huawei just copied Apple Watch technology to Mate S.  
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

But unlike Macs, iPod, iPhone and iPad, Google's ads won't ever go away, right?
    Gotta love the completely irrelevant Google slam here. Nicely done
    Did you miss this though: 

"Google, the company who actually did commercially fail at MP3 players, failed at Nexus, failed at netbooks, failed at tweener tablets, failed at fablets, failed at big tablets, failed at detachables, failed at wearables and doesn't have Apple's $20 billion Services business."
    baconstangpscooter63patchythepirate
  • Reply 26 of 35
    SnRaSnRa Posts: 65member
    cnocbui said:
    What technological lead? 

- Most advanced ARM processor in the world. Custom designed by Apple.
    Given the fact the Snapdragon 820 can outperform the A9 in a number of metrics, I don't think I can completely agree with that claim. Of course, the A10 will outperform that, and then the Snapdragon 830 will probably outperform that, etc. As for a single core performance, the A9 does lead there, but Android doesn't work like iOS. For example, it can take advantage of 10 cores with greater efficiency than 8 cores (the Snapdragon 820 only uses 4 cores).
  • Reply 27 of 35
    SnRaSnRa Posts: 65member
    cropr said:

The market share of the Macs were severely hit in Q1 2016, because there is no Skylake based MacBookPro on the market.  Vendors who have similar models with Skylake processors (e.g. Dell XPS13) saw their market share increase.  With no announcements made about a Skylake based MBP, the Q2 figures can only deteriorate. 

The Mac figures are much more worrying than the iPhone ones.  Apple has a technological lead in smartphones, for laptops this is not so clear.  Apple has an obsession for very light and very thin devices.  But for laptops this does not lead to increased sales.  Because of this obsession Apple has neglected its high end machines, and is now paying cash

I brought this up before, but I think the 13" MacBook Air needs to be cut and a new 13" MacBook Pro can take its place.

Some numbers for comparison with the competition (13" models):

MacBook Air:
    • i7-5650U / HD 6000
    • 1440 x 900
    • 2.96 lbs
    MacBook Pro:
    • i7-5557U / HD 6100
    • 2560 x 1600
    • 3.48 lbs
    VAIO Z:
    • i7-6567U / HD 550
    • 2560 x 1440
    • 2.58 lbs
    If VAIO can make a laptop lighter than the MBA and more powerful than the MBP, I'd think Apple can do similar.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    It's a really bad idea to be a fanboy and a shareholder of the same company. To financially invest in something you need to use as a clear of a head as possible and be reasonable. Rather than being angry at the markets and how they work, you have to accept them. Rather than being angry at a competitor because it's an I Win You Lose mentality, you should check their marketprice.

All of this spouting by DED and here's the facts.

If you invested $10,000 last in Apple last year because you read DED's apple stroking editorials, you're down 30%. 

If you invested $10,000 in the much despised Google and how doomed they are and unprofitable they are, you'd be up 25%

A 55% spread. Being an investor and an irrational fanboy don't go well together. If you put $5000 in one stock and $5000 in the other, you'd have staved off "peak Apple" and likely will make your money back in the next few years anyway. Investing is a long term affair, and nobody should sell it now. Might even be a good idea to buy some more. 

If you're a huge Apple fan, put money in the stock but try to use your head and consider that markets aren't as simple as who makes more money gets a higher stock price, and beating your head against the wall about it isn't going to make your retirement any more fruitful. 
    techloverlord amhrancnocbuiapple v. samsung
  • Reply 29 of 35
    {Quarterly Mac revenues tripled over the last decade from $1.7 billion in Q2 2006 to $5.1 billion in the most recent Q2 2016. In contrast, PCs are back down below where they were in 2008; unit sales are just 20 percent higher than they were a decade ago, according to data from Gartner.}

There's an intrinsic problem with 
    nearly all market researchers: they are great at collecting/compiling data, but absolutely horrible at interpreting the data collected.

For instance is the slump in PC sales the result of weakening economies, or the result of the longer economic life of the Mac?

The average PC needs replacement every 36 months to stay technically current/useful.  While the average Mac has an economic life of about 48 months.

One Windows switcher (to the Mac) represents not the loss of a single Windows PC, but that of THREE+ Windows PCs over a 10 year period.

Due to the much longer economic life of the Mac the value lost to Windows is 33% over a 4 year period.  This loss accelerates as Mac units sold continues to grow.  Example:  Calendar 2006 Mac sales of 5.565 Million units displaced about 18.365 Million Windows PCs over the following 10 years.

Of much greater significance is calendar 2015 Mac unit sales (20.380 Million units) to the Windows ecosystem through calendar 2025 (67.254 Million units).  I would argue that the installed base of computer users continues to grow, but that expanding base is being satisfied with computers (Macs) having a longer useful life.

I suspect, if it hasn't already happened, that we are entering an extended period of significantly declining Windows PC unit sales, in favor of Mac unit sales (and increasing Mac market share).
    baconstangradarthekatviclauyycpatchythepirate
  • Reply 30 of 35
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    As a computer buyer I cannot rejoice much in higher sales prices and more profit that is burned off because Apple has no idea what to do with it.
    Thats a really strange notion.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Enjoyed the article as usual.

We are getting closer to the time when Giggle makes an honest woman of Ann Droid.
    My guess is that all we will see is a puff of smoke, some money changing hands
    and a new "java free" android will appear
    or android becomes totally open source and Giggle takes its secret sauce and moves on to a "better" platform.

My comment on this article is to suggest
    that we keep the real apple products clearly in focus.

Apple produces hardware and software and services.
    Very good ones at that.

The "free" market is what produces the share price on apple stock.
    Rational market my xxx!
    This is not capitalism, the greed heads who manipulate market prices
    ride apple and google etc up and down endlessly only to their own end$$$$$.
    Sad but true.

baconstang
  • Reply 32 of 35
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    ireland said:
    No offence Dan, but all these posts do is make me think you're a shareholder. There's no need to defend how Apple is doing—as a business they are doing impossibly well. No amount of posts are going to quell Wall St. greed. The only thing will do that are new regulations and prison time for those who step out of line and do very dodgy things like what happened before the housing market collapsed.

Why do you assume the point of the article is to affect Wall Street or defend Apple?

I see it as something much more lighthearted - facts thrown in the faces of the haters. Just thinking of them reading this and seeing the veins in their heads pop out at the sheer rage they'll experience brings a smirk to my face.

Too bad those idiots at MR don't have the guts to publish something like this.
    Probably because Wall St. people read AI and MacRumors, fishing stock-manipulating details.

Overall, the people who believe in Apple, are still Apple Shareholders, and Apple is Apple, not a puppet of Wall St.

If Wall St. had it's way, Apple would not be innovating, it would just be licensing iOS and MacOS X to third parties so that iOS completely drowns Android, and MacOS X would shrink Microsoft's desktop share. In theory at least. In practice it was done before with the Mac Clones, and those clones nearly killed Apple because MacOS was licensed to third parties without consideration if they should.

Ideally, Apple would license Mac OS X to run on a "Generic" PC in which Apple sells a standard Apple ATX Socket 2011-3 Motherboard, and the purchaser is responsible for buying compatible CPU, GPU, ECC DDR4 RAM, NVMe SSD's, SAS/SATA hard drives, PSU and Chasis, with a stipulation that these are "retail" parts for building your own Mac Pro. Because Apple has thus far failed to introduce a workstation product, and this is preventing pro-audio and pro-video/film industries from staying in the Apple Ecosystem

• Reply 33 of 35
    This is how Korean news reports news on Apple and Samsung.
    http://m.media.daum.net/m/media/digital/newsview/20160515141002694#alex.cId=45376930

in short, if There are news on Apple saying that Apple's performance is very good, they mention Samsung's or Android market share.
    if there are negative news on Apple, they are again negative on Apple.

i would like to say this.
    Samsung/Android journalists, you need to consider revenue and profit.
    Apple, you should admit that market share is also important factor in long term business.
                Do you remember early Windows vs. Mac in 80's?
    there was same debate at that time.
    In PC market, the one with higher market share finally won although they may have bleeded until they capture the market and sit on the throne.
    smartphone business is slightly different than PC business, but it's just matter of which factor takes how many portion of the logistics.

it would be good to see an article which addresses the pro-Samsung/Android pundits' psychology on why they keep negative stance on Apple no matter what actually happens in the market.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    hjmnlhjmnl Posts: 31member
    I don't get it... its healthy for a company to make profits so it can invest into its future but what isn't healthy is that the competition is making better products for a better prize. Before you all start flaming on me... Look at the state of the iMac, the MacPro or even the newly introduced MacBooks. 5400 rpm hard drives in 2016, soldered ram, MacPro nothing new since 2013  :neutral: . If wwdc won't have some spectacular news I've a hard feeling about growth. I don't mind paying more for a premium brand but then it has to offer the best. It just doesn't do that on many fronts anymore. My colleague filmmakers all left the Macplatform and I see this happening in droves. Makes me sad but I can't blame them. Apple left the server market, will leave the pro market too. For what? Profits??? More profits??? I wish apple was the company it once was. Making the best products and be a bit more expensive. Outdated, under configurated hardware at more then premium prices. They should be ashamed! Where is the company I was very proud to own their products? Apple are you listening?

• Reply 35 of 35
    hjmnlhjmnl Posts: 31member
    tzeshan said:
    Google Android has successfully copied Apple fingerprint technology in the new Android OS after two years.  Two years is approximately the time needed for copycats to catch up with Apple technology.  This is why Google Android has not able to copy Touch 3D. Last year some Android smartphone makers copied Apple fingerprint technology by themselves.  But they are inferior.  Google is the greatest threat to Apple technology.  Steve Jobs has foreseen this as early as eight years ago.  
    Yes, because they're open sourcing it and the innovation on android happens quicker then on iOS.