124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
  • Reply 62 of 67
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    msuberly said:
    LOL.

Tepper sold $133M worth in December, and that was equally big -- if not bigger -- news. Didn't see you dismissing those headlines, unless I missed it and you'd like to point me to a link where you did.
    How is the sale of a $133M stake "equally big -- if not bigger -- news?

Go to this link and see how far down you would have to scroll to see how much sway a $133M stake actually has: https://www.holdingschannel.com/funds/holding-aapl/

Berkshire's stake doesn't even make the top 50. It's only news because of the chairman's name.

Now if Vanguard, with its nearly $36B stake sold out...that would be news. 
    You may need to work on your reading comprehension skills. 
  • Reply 63 of 67
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 234member
    msuberly said:
    How is the sale of a $133M stake "equally big -- if not bigger -- news?

Go to this link and see how far down you would have to scroll to see how much sway a $133M stake actually has: https://www.holdingschannel.com/funds/holding-aapl/

Berkshire's stake doesn't even make the top 50. It's only news because of the chairman's name.

Now if Vanguard, with its nearly $36B stake sold out...that would be news. 
    You may need to work on your reading comprehension skills. 
    I will take that under consideration.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I don't understand why AAPL is seen as short term gain whereas GOOG and AMAZON are long term investment. Shouldn't it be the other way round?
    ValueAnalystpscooter63
  • Reply 65 of 67
    sog35 said:

If anything buffett is letting some young gun buy Apple so he can use it as an example of what not to invest in and according to the press release they were bought before April 30th , Apple stock was trading at 110 so the trade is already down at least 10% !
    Not true.

You have no idea if Berkshire is down or up.

The only thing we know is they bought in the first quarter (Jan-March).  The stock was at $92 in late January and $93 in late Feburary. So depending on when they bought the stock, Bershire could actually be UP on the investment.

But it really does not matter.  Buffett is holding this long term and probably won't sell until it hits $300
    I agree with you on this one. We don't know their average purchase price; but regardless, their investment style dictates that they believe fair value for AAPL is wayyy above what the price is now. And that is a huge vote of confidence coming from Berkshire Hathaway.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    kevin kee said:
    I don't understand why AAPL is seen as short term gain whereas GOOG and AMAZON are long term investment. Shouldn't it be the other way round?
    Different investors have different styles. There are a million ways to make money in the stock market, but he opposite is also true. My guess is that Berkshire Hathaway intends to hold AAPL for the long term, unless if the stock goes up very quickly (25-50% etc.) in the next few months. Then no one can blame them for selling out so quickly if the stock reaches or comes close to what they believe is fair value. Carl Icahn on the other hand... Man, he was pumping up the stock on every show he went to when the stock was $125+ and look at him now, talkikg up China risks as if apple hasn't more than doubled its revenues from China since he first purchased the stock... A commenter earlier said he/she would rather have Berkshire Hathaway as a fellow shareholder than Carl Icahn. I agree.