Alleged 'iPhone 7' shell photos show relocated antenna bands, unexpected cutout

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sog35 said:
    tmay said:

Apple isn't leaking these; it's coming from the leaky supply chain, assuming that they are even accurate, and no, there won't be a sneak peak at WWDC. There may be some developers who get to use early production iPhone 7's  at Apple HQ before release, as has been done in the past.
    Yes Apple is leaking these.

If Apple does not want leaks it has ways for things not to leak BEFORE production begins.

Look at the MacPro -  no leaks.
    Look at the AppleWatch - no leaks.

Apple is controlling these leaks. But of course once production starts in late June/early July they can't stop leaks. But at this stage Apple has stuff on lockdown.

That's why I think they will do a sneak peak of the iPhone 7 at WWDC right BEFORE production starts and stopping leaks will be impossible. Its the same reason Apple did a sneak peak for the AppleWatch. Its possible that Apple only does a sneak peak of the iPhone Pro.
    Bullshit. Apple sells hundreds of millions of iPhones. Much easier and more likely for one of these to leak out of the supply chain than a Mac or Watch. And why on earth would Apple want a shitty, often times grainy photo of an unfinished phone case to leak? Most people see it and their first reaction is fugly. That was definitely the case with the iPhone 5 and 6.
    nolamacguyjackansi
  • Reply 22 of 47
    They can relocate the antenna bands, but it's still ugly.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    512ke said:
    What would "pro" mean when applied to a phone? A pro computer is used by like graphics professionals. A pro phone? Professionals of what use this phone?
    Doesn't quite make sense. 

Maybe consider alternatives:
    iPhone 7 B for Badass
    iPhone 7 ME More Expensive
    iPhone 7 HE High End
    7 HMP for Higher Monthly Payments
    iPhone 7 FOC for Flat Out Cool

?

People that use their iPhones, iPads and Mac Book Pro's in the same workflow, and that would be lots of creatives. Features like color calibration, increased memory, and dual lens cameras might be considered "pro" features in the marketplace, but more than likely, they would be precursors of what would be standard features in a generation or two.

The buyer pays a premium for a "pro" device, just like the iPad line and the Mac Book Pro line.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    bdkennedy said:
    It's a piece of unibody aluminum ala iPod touch. Why is that now considered ugly?
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 25 of 47
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    First of all the design around the camera, flash and mic areas is really messy. And apart from the antenna lines, looks worse than the 6S! I hope this is not real. If it is then maybe that second hole will be used as a noise cancellation mic to cut down on wind rush when recording video.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    sog35 said:
    None of these leaks show the front of the iPhone.

Why?

I'm expecting Apple to give a sneak peak of the iPhone7 at WWDC next month.

Usually full leaks are seen in March. The iPhone6 was leaked in March. This is already mid-May.  Apple is only leaking the back shell. The front holds the big surprise.

No more home button.
    Near ZERO bezel front display.

iPhone 7 will be 5 inch screen
    iPhone 7 Pro will be 5.8 inch screen
    Next Spring we will see iPhone 7SE with 4 inch screen

There really is no reason to have a 4 inch and a 4.7 inch phone, sizes are too similiar.
    Difference in screen size between the 4" and 4.7" is pretty dramatic. For me, it's the "just right" size. I wouldn't wan to go back to a 4", but the Plus is just too large a device. However, I wouldn't argue with a slightly bigger screen in the same size body as a 6/6s.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    flaneur said:
    This [purportedly] is a picture of back of the shell of the iP7.

If they showed the front, you would see an empty shell -- no screen, no bezels, no forehead or chin, no electronics ... Just an empty shell.

Ah, but emptiness is seen by some as an opportunity to backfill with bucketloads of random ideas . . .

I'm curious to see if they will use the new Intel cell radio chip.

If so, I suspect they will preview new iPhone capabilities using that chip at WWDC -- Rather than let FCC grunts leak info during approval.

• Reply 28 of 47
    1983 said:
    First of all the design around the camera, flash and mic areas is really messy. And apart from the antenna lines, looks worse than the 6S! I hope this is not real. If it is then maybe that second hole will be used as a noise cancellation mic to cut down on wind rush when recording video.
    How can it look worse than the 6S when it's exactly like the 6S except for fewer antenna lines? Camera holes always look worse on an empty shell than the actual device and the camera bump always looks worse (more pronounced) in these photos than in real life.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    sog35 said:
    seankill said:
    If 0.7" is too similar, is 0.8" really all that different? I think the 4/4.7/5.5 is a great spread.

It will be interesting to see what Apple has in the works for the iPhone 7. If the rumors have any weight, my wife and I will both keep our current iPhones (6+). The only thing the phone really leaves to be desired is 2GB of RAM and a better camera. 

Actually with near zero bezel the iPhone Pro could be 6 inches with the same footprint as the 6+

iPhone 7 - 5 inches
    iPhone 7 Pro - 6 inches
    iPhone 7 SE - 4 inches
    Apple will reduce footprints before it increases screen sizes.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    sog35 said:
    Bullshit. Apple sells hundreds of millions of iPhones. Much easier and more likely for one of these to leak out of the supply chain than a Mac or Watch. And why on earth would Apple want a shitty, often times grainy photo of an unfinished phone case to leak? Most people see it and their first reaction is fugly. That was definitely the case with the iPhone 5 and 6.
    just stop. Learn to read.

Once the iPhone goes into production of course the design will leak. But production won't start till late June or early July.

Any leaks that you see are either Apple endorsed leaks or total bs.

Go look at the leaks of the iPhone 6 in March. No way on earth anyone gets their hands on the 6 that early without Apple allowing it.

You have zero credibility making that statement.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 31 of 47
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    None of these leaks show the front of the iPhone.

Why?

I'm expecting Apple to give a sneak peak of the iPhone7 at WWDC next month.

Usually full leaks are seen in March. The iPhone6 was leaked in March. This is already mid-May.  Apple is only leaking the back shell. The front holds the big surprise.

No more home button.
    Near ZERO bezel front display.

iPhone 7 will be 5 inch screen
    iPhone 7 Pro will be 5.8 inch screen
    Next Spring we will see iPhone 7SE with 4 inch screen

There really is no reason to have a 4 inch and a 4.7 inch phone, sizes are too similiar.
    Probably because the leak is from someone who only has access to the shell, because their business is related to only that component.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    bdkennedy said:
    It's a piece of unibody aluminum ala iPod touch. Why is that now considered ugly?
    It's about as exciting as staring at a blank piece of paper.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 33 of 47
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    wdowell said:
    williamh said:
    "There doesn't appear to be any sign of a Smart Connector" Just a thought, but could Apple be planning an iPhone Pro line? We've got Macbooks and Macbook Pros. We have Macs and Mac Pros. We now have iPads and iPad Pros. Why not have some more expensive, more fully featured iPhone Pros?
    I agree. I suspect they'll have a pro line. either for both sizes or for the Plus size only. It will enable them to increase the ASP /profit in an otherwise relatively stagnant market.
    A more expensive phone won't do anything for Apple in a down market especially with a massive recession about to hit.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    sog35 said:
    512ke said:
    What would "pro" mean when applied to a phone? A pro computer is used by like graphics professionals. A pro phone? Professionals of what use this phone?

iPhone 7 B for Badass
    iPhone 7 HE High End

?

iPad Pro
    Macbook Pro
    MacPro

I see no reason not to call the top of the line iPhone a Pro

I agree.  It makes sense for their overall product strategy.  As for what "pro" means when applied to a phone?  Pro means if you are willing to spend more money, Apple is willing to take it.  Apple put some effort into getting great phones at lower price points so what used to be a status symbol in the 1st world is now attainable in the 3rd world. A lot of the Apple cachet revolves around being the status symbol.  It's basically just going to be the "plus" phone but they could juice it up a bit with case materials like with the watch to go after the crowd that like shiny or tacky things. Have a more subdued model for the douchebag exec who must have "executive" things but won't go as far as a phone that was vajazzled. The phone could have more RAM, higher end camera (say, it is just a plus isn't it?)
  • Reply 35 of 47
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    sog35 said:
    512ke said:

iPhone 7 B for Badass
    iPhone 7 HE High End

?

iPad Pro
    Macbook Pro
    MacPro

I see no reason not to call the top of the line iPhone a Pro

There's nothing Pro about an iPhone
    jackansi
  • Reply 36 of 47
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    sog35 said:
    tmay said:

Apple isn't leaking these; it's coming from the leaky supply chain, assuming that they are even accurate, and no, there won't be a sneak peak at WWDC. There may be some developers who get to use early production iPhone 7's  at Apple HQ before release, as has been done in the past.
    Yes Apple is leaking these.

If Apple does not want leaks it has ways for things not to leak BEFORE production begins.

Look at the MacPro -  no leaks.
    Look at the AppleWatch - no leaks.

Apple is controlling these leaks. But of course once production starts in late June/early July they can't stop leaks. But at this stage Apple has stuff on lockdown.

That's why I think they will do a sneak peak of the iPhone 7 at WWDC right BEFORE production starts and stopping leaks will be impossible. Its the same reason Apple did a sneak peak for the AppleWatch. Its possible that Apple only does a sneak peak of the iPhone Pro.
    Im shocking myself here but I have to agree with Sog35, these are engineered leaks. Why? Simple it is too early into the developmental process for masses of workers to have access to prototypes. Note the word prototype, we don't even know if this is a unit destined for mass production. Mass production usually starts a couple of months before product launch. So unless Apple is altering its time tables I really think this is an intentional leak.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    bdkennedy said:
    It's about as exciting as staring at a blank piece of paper.
    thats what our devices are -- blank pieces of glass. what do you want it to do, tricks? no. youre the one who makes your device work for you, provide value to you. these are half-million-dollar italian sports cars...

somewhere, somehow, the techies got it into their bored heads that their new phones are supposed to the entertain them, provide life meaning to them. its nuts. thats what your life is for. 
    williamlondontmay
  • Reply 38 of 47
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    wizard69 said:
    Im shocking myself here but I have to agree with Sog35, these are engineered leaks. Why? Simple it is too early into the developmental process for masses of workers to have access to prototypes. Note the word prototype, we don't even know if this is a unit destined for mass production. Mass production usually starts a couple of months before product launch. So unless Apple is altering its time tables I really think this is an intentional leak.
    whats the value add for Mr. Cook to do so? theyre already the biggest selling manufacturer. already the most profitable. what marketing purpose do crappy photos on a new obscure rumor sites with very small audiences do for him?
    williamlondontmaythepixeldoc
  • Reply 39 of 47
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I know the person who actually makes these for Apple(shells).

I COULD confirm if these are real but I'm not gonna risk his Apple contract.

*evil grin*
  • Reply 40 of 47
    wizard69 said:
    Nope not buying it mostly for the reasons I've stated - these leaks don't do anything positive for Apple and in many cases make the device look worse than the final finished product. Why would Apple want that out there? Surely doesn't get anyone excited.
    tmayjackansi