I/O 2016: Google launches Android N beta with speed boosts, VR hooks & iOS-drawn improvements

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    redstater said:
    apple ][ said:
    How many Android users will be using this newest OS when it gets released?

0.0001736%

:# 

I haven't seen any recent charts, but the majority of Android users are still probably on an ancient version of Android that was released a long, long time ago.
    33% of users are on 2013's KitKat. 36% of users are on 2014's Lollipop. 7.5% are on 2015's Marshmallow. 25% of Android users are on versions released before 2013.
    https://apps.voxmedia.com/at/recode-google-android-version-adoption/
    ration al
  • Reply 22 of 35
    SnRaSnRa Posts: 65member
    Instant Apps are actually quite interesting.

• Reply 23 of 35
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    cali said:
    SnRa said:
    The reference controller has a simple design. Clickable touch-pad, two buttons and motion sensing.
    It's missing the Siri button :open_mouth: 
    No button needed, because the device is always listening and reporting back to the mother roach.
    ration alcalilostkiwiai46
  • Reply 24 of 35
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    SnRa said:
    Well, whadyaknow, you still have to download an app. It's just different. Like Facebook recently showed. Like webapps have been promising for eons. Like Apple will certainly be showing in a couple weeks, too, but with availability on nearly all active iOS devices in existence from day 1.
    edited May 2016 ration alai46
  • Reply 25 of 35
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    by the time the Devs can target the n word (sic) Ios devices will be in pill form and connect straight with our brain, Apple can really put android to shame with iOS 10
    caliai46
  • Reply 26 of 35
    SnRaSnRa Posts: 65member
    cpsro said:
    SnRa said:
    Well, whadyaknow, you still have to download an app. It's just different. Like Facebook recently showed. Like webapps have been promising for eons. Like Apple will certainly be showing in a couple weeks, too, but with availability on nearly all active iOS devices in existence from day 1.
    Instant Apps only downloads what's needed for the app, almost instantly (if that wasn't already apparent in its name). The integration with NFC (obviously not on every iOS device) and Android Pay is definitely a highlight.

It is said to work with any Android device running Jelly Bean or later (source):

As a developer, you won’t need to build a new, separate app. It’s the same Android APIs, the same project, the same source code. You’ll simply update your existing Android app to take advantage of Instant Apps functionality. In fact, it can take less than a day to get up and running for some developers, though the effort involved will vary depending on how your app is structured. You modularize your app, and Google Play downloads only the parts that are needed, on the fly. And when you do upgrade, your app will be available to more than a billion users on Android devices going back to Jelly Bean.

• Reply 27 of 35
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    Wow, it's dead in here.

No, wait. It's dead EVERYWHERE. All the Google I/O related articles on all the websites just aren't generating any interest. Nobody seems to care at all about today's announcements. 
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 28 of 35
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    redstater said:
    "Borrowing from iOS, users will be able to quick-reply to messages from notifications." Funny, I can do this already using Google Messenger on my Nexus 6. "Likewise Android is getting support for split-screen and picture-in-picture multitasking, something present on iPads since Septemer's iOS 9." Funny, I was able to do this back in 2013 with my Samsung Galaxy Mega. As Samsung and LG phones and tablets and Jide tablets and Android PCs have been able to do for even longer. What is new is that this is coming into base Android. It was unable to before because of performance reasons: 512 MB and 1 GB of RAM devices running on Qualcomm 200 and low end MediaTek CPUs couldn't handle it. This was also why this functionality is not in the iPhone 6S ... it required the extra GB of RAM that went into the iPad Pro. "Google has also made Android's compiler up to 75 percent quicker" In 2014 they went from just-in-time to ahead of time compilation to make it faster. Now 2 years later they are going BACK to just-in-time compilation to make it faster. Unless they did a major redesign in the underlying architecture, either to the JVM or to the native OS, I will believe it when I see it.
    Buy a real iPhone or iPad, stop wasting money on knockoffs.

It's funny when fandroids pull features from 1,300+ manufacturers to say "android dos it first!!!!1"

Guess i I have to tape together 6 droids to equal all the features on iPhone.
    edited May 2016 ericthehalfbee
  • Reply 29 of 35
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Wow, it's dead in here.

No, wait. It's dead EVERYWHERE. All the Google I/O related articles on all the websites just aren't generating any interest. Nobody seems to care at all about today's announcements. 
    Android's dev has hit the OEM wall (like what happened with MS and PC OEM). When OEM are bleeding cash; telling them to bleed more for the cause... Is no longer an incentive. Result total stagnation. That last years update is on almost no phones is embarrassing. I can just imagine how low a penetration this one will get next year!

Apple has finally put its hardware integration advantage to good use in the last few years and IOS 10 should be the kick in the pants Android deserves.

That they're still touting a speed / responsiveness increase just tells you how garbage like Android was 3-4 years ago.

lostkiwiericthehalfbee
  • Reply 30 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Google said it hasn't settled on a final name for Android N, and will be taking submissions on what the "N" should ultimately stand for, though Google is reserving the right of final selection.

Considering Apple survived "iPad" and Nintendo survived "Wii" I'm sure Android negro will be a walk in the park. I'm going to hold out for Android Trailer-Trash myself, or perhaps Android White-bread or Android Asian-invasion or Andoid STFUMF
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 31 of 35
    koop said:
    As a Google fan it was definitely a snoozer. Googe's sad attempts at chat at this point is borderline cringe-worthy. Google has released, butchered, released chat apps that nobody uses because nobody uses it. The new "surprise! here's my dick!" feature for their video calling app i'm sure will be groundbreaking.

Google Home is long overdue and most Googlers have wondered why it took Google this long to develop. So far it looks very, very similar to Echo so in that sense it was kind of a snooze. I do like how it integrates with Chromecast and Chromecast audio. 

Android Wear Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Google Daydream - Kind of cool, but i'm more interesting in VR experiences from Occulus that use real GPUs and not weak mobile chips.

Android N - Great update, but everything they talked about I've already played with on the beta on my Nexus 6P. Nothing new there.
    Not sure what this says about me, but that was my first thought about how it would be used when I read about it lol
  • Reply 32 of 35

At the beginning of its I/O developer conference on Wednesday, Google revealed that the next major version of Android -- codenamed "Android N" -- is launching in Unusually, Google said it hasn't settled on a final name for Android N, and will be taking submissions on what the "N" should ultimately stand for, though Google is reserving the right of final selection.

What's a 7 letter word for people that annoy you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwrUkeYxUF0
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 33 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I suggest they call it "Android Nutbag."
  • Reply 34 of 35
    hjmnlhjmnl Posts: 31member
    apple ][ said:
    How many Android users will be using this newest OS when it gets released?

0.0001736%

:# 

I haven't seen any recent charts, but the majority of Android users are still probably on an ancient version of Android that was released a long, long time ago.
    You'll be surprised and the numbers are growing every day. I hope iOS 10 will be a giant leap forward. With big improvements in maps, Siri, messaging, FaceTime, photos and more compelling stuff to get the iPhone, iPad really stand above average again. Apple should have used its money long time ago to invest into the future. It's getting behind the curve on many fronts now. It makes me angry and sad.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cali said:
    Tim Cook believes in VR.

Trust me they'll be the first to get it right(or Nintendo).
    There's a reason Nintendo is bleeding money. Too Slow. Apple also sometimes too slow
    so if Apple isn't bleeding money, and is also too slow, we can discredit the causation you're suggesting between bleeding money and slowness.