Apple unveils Union Square store in San Francisco ahead of Saturday opening

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2016
Apple on Thursday revealed more details about its new Union Square outlet in San Francisco -- launching on Saturday -- including design features present in other recent Apple Stores, as well as some traits unique to the location.

Image Credit: Macerkopf
Image Credit: Macerkopf

Among the latter are a plaza with public seating and Wi-Fi, and a fountain sculpture by Ruth Asawa that was preserved during the construction process. Apple noted that Asawa's piece is being joined by a new work, "Love," commissioned by the nearby Hyatt hotel and created by local artist Laura Kimpton.

Another original design trait will be the store's 42-foot sliding glass doors, which will help take advantage of San Francisco's mild climate.

One of the centerpieces of the interior will be the "Forum," with a 6K-resolution video wall and seating. This is meant to play home to "Today at Apple," including programs for children, teachers, and developers, as well as sessions on art and gaming. The space will also be used to host events about the making of movies on iTunes, and premiere songs and videos from Apple Music.

Image Credit: iSpazio
Image Credit: iSpazio

On days with better weather the plaza may sometimes host Today at Apple, as well as musical acts who will then do interviews inside the store.

Repairs and other troubleshooting will be done under trees in the "Genius Grove." A section called "The Avenue" will feature interactive "windows," as well as Apple "Creative Pro" staff offering their expertise. Some products on display will be part of an "Only at Apple" collection of curated third-party accessories.

Lastly, a space called "The Boardroom" will be tucked away from the public so that the store's staff can offer help to business customers and developers.

Apple incidentally noted that that the store will be powered entirely by renewable energy, including solar panels on the roof, and that the company is helping the Ruth Asawa School of the Arts build a visual arts lab with 45 workstations using Apple products.

The Union Square store will open at 10 a.m. Pacific time on Saturday, following the Friday closure of its predecessor on Stockton Street.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,725member
    One word: cool.  
  • Reply 2 of 15
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Will check it out some time in the next week or two.
    I'll skip the opening-day crowds.

It didn't look anywhere near ready when I walked past it in late April.
    But it was mostly covered up.  Especially the glass doors.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 3 of 15
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    9to5mac has a lot more photos of the inside 
  • Reply 4 of 15
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'm sure it'll look inside, Apple stores always do, but what are all of those ugly wires criss crossing out in the front?

I know that Apple doesn't have anything to do with those probably, but they should be chopped down and removed, IMHO.

It detracts from the beauty of the Apple store and ruins the view. It's not aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. 

It looks like something that a city would have had a century ago, with crazy wires and phone lines going everywhere. This is 2016, not 1916.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 5 of 15
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    apple ][ said:
    I'm sure it'll look inside, Apple stores always do, but what are all of those ugly wires criss crossing out in the front?

I know that Apple doesn't have anything to do with those probably, but they should be chopped down and removed, IMHO.

It detracts from the beauty of the Apple store and ruins the view. It's not aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. 

It looks like something that a city would have had a century ago, with crazy wires and phone lines going everywhere. This is 2016, not 1916.
    Those are MUNI overhead lines for the electric busses.  Not pretty, but no diesel exhaust.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 15
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    apple ][ said:

I take it you haven't been to San Francisco?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 15
    apple ][ said:

Those are MUNI overhead lines for the electric busses.  Not pretty, but no diesel exhaust.
    I didn't know that they had electric busses there. 
  • Reply 8 of 15

apple ][ said:

I take it you haven't been to San Francisco?
    Just once, and only for a very brief time, and I was pretty stoned. I was there doing a job, so I didn't get to catch any of the sights.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 9 of 15
    apple ][ said:
    I didn't know that they had electric busses there. 
    The electric busses have been around since about 1940.  From before the 1906 earthquake, there were electric trolley cars (on rails).  That rail system still exists and serves much of the City, both at street level and underground.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Apparently this is the back of the store. I'm sorry that rainbow "love" sign looks incredibly tacky and out of place.

patchythepirate
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Apparently this is the back of the store. I'm sorry that rainbow "love" sign looks incredibly tacky and out of place.

From the article... Apple noted that Asawa's piece is being joined by a new work, "Love," commissioned by the nearby Hyatt hotel and created by local artist Laura Kimpton.

I think that's the back of the Hyatt.  I'll check it out Saturday.
  • Reply 12 of 15

From the article... Apple noted that Asawa's piece is being joined by a new work, "Love," commissioned by the nearby Hyatt hotel and created by local artist Laura Kimpton.

So that's not part of the Apple Store?
  • Reply 13 of 15

I don't think so.  The sun / shadows look like the picture is looking north.  If it was a south view, Stockton would be directly on the left, and it looks like a building is there.
    I think that area is where the steps used to be.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    I don't think so.  The sun / shadows look like the picture is looking north.  If it was a south view, Stockton would be directly on the left, and it looks like a building is there.
    I think that area is where the steps used to be.

https://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/screen-shot-2016-05-19-at-1-33-02-pm.png?w=740&h=&crop=1

edited May 2016
  • Reply 15 of 15
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    Pictures taken around midnight yesterday, the 19th. As you can see, it's a race to the finish line.