Apple looks to debut Siri SDK at WWDC, developing Amazon Echo competitor

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    gatorguy said:
    Hey, as long as SiriSpeak(er) understands that two claps means toggle the lights, I'm in.
    Thought you were the one posting your concern over these "listening" devices just a couple days back? Maybe I confused you with someone else. 
    Maybe he was wasn't so much worried about the listening as having the sound of the clap being sent to Google servers and then having ads for sexual health clinics turn up in his Googe searches. 

caliwaverboy
  • Reply 42 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Hey, as long as SiriSpeak(er) understands that two claps means toggle the lights, I'm in.
    Thought you were the one posting your concern over these "listening" devices just a couple days back? Maybe I confused you with someone else. 
    Maybe he was wasn't so much worried about the listening as having the sound of the clap being sent to Google servers and then having ads for sexual health clinics turn up in his Googe searches. 

Ah, you're such a kidder. :smiley: 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 43 of 52
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:

Me: What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Siri: Here are web results for clinics in your area

Me: I said "fapping" not "clapping"

Siri:  O_O

:)
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    redstater said:
    "The smart home space is heating up as tech giants like Amazon, Apple and most recently Google put their considerable weight behind in-house initiatives." Sure. Right. Google launched their IoT strategy in 2014. That was when they launched voice-driven wearables and smart TV/TV box products and oh yes paid $2.3 billion for Nest. It didn't get off the ground because Samsung and LG went their own way with their own IoT platforms; Samsung's based on Tizen and LG based on webOS (renamed lgOS). Then Google tried again by launching an IoT platform based on a stripped-down version of Android called Brillo and an API called Weave. That was slightly more successful, as Google's go-to gadget company Asus, Kwikset and a couple more companies have Brillo/Weave gadgets launching this year (a door lock, a smart bridge and a Wi-Fi chip). Speaking of Wi-Fi chips, Google's OnHub routers (built by Asus) run ChromeOS. LG, playing both sides of the aisle, committed to trying their hand at Brillo-based appliances this year in addition to their own platform, because their lgOS based devices haven't been as successful as Samsung's (insecure and hackable) Tizen ones. So considering that they bought Nest (who also owns Dropcam) and launched other products as part of their IoT strategy before Apple even announced HomeKit, saying "most recently Google" is ridiculous. Google's "most recent" development is merely adding a competitor to Amazon Echo to their platform. Incidentally, I always find it humorous that whenever someone else launches a product or feature after Apple, that player is accused of "copying" or "infringing" but when Apple is the second (or third or fourth) to the party, there are always claims that "Apple was researching our own product before the competition launched theirs." So ... right. The device launched nearly 2 years ago. How long does it take to put iOS in a speaker? When you have already been making iPods for 14 years and iPods have run iOS sincd 2007!!!. At the very most this was an idea that Apple considered but mothballed only to revive when other companies demonstrated that it was a good idea. Nothing wrong with Apple coming out with their own speaker because Apple was known for great audio even before the iPod, but feeling the need to claim "no we were first REALLY!" just diminishes the #1 company in the world.

You're getting your underwear all twisted up for nothing. To begin with, this is a rumour. Secondly, Apple has never been first to market with anything and had never claimed to be. The iPhone was a success because Apple looked at existing phones and saw that they were not good. They had 10 years of Mcrosoft missteps to examine before they released the iPad. The fabled Apple car will be the result of looking at Tesla and working out why the haven't sold the notion of electric cars to everyone (probably because the notion of 'buying' a car is the problem). 

This is site was trying to make a big deal of Schmidt owning an iPhone.  We know he owns one; how else did Googe come up with Android?

And if Tim Cook doesn't have a stack of Samsungs in his top drawer then he's not doing his job. 
    nolamacguywaverboy
  • Reply 45 of 52
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    cali said:
    My number one wish for iOS 10
    is a revamped Siri. I also want to see it opened up for development like Will.i.am's AneedA which I've surprisingly been digging. Basically developers can add "skills" to the voice assistant making her more intelligent in specific topics. Or they could acquire AneedA ;)

If Apple DOES create an Echo competitor it will be the first copycat device I've seen from them in the past 2 decades. But be sure that it will look, act, feel nothing like Echo if this rumor is true. They will pave their own path and create the first successful home AI assistant.

I believe Beats Pill already outsells Echo so
    Apple could potentially outsells the entire market in a matter of weeks or even on launch day.

Apple TV intergration is too obvious. Click Siri Remote, Speak.
    You might get your wish:

https://medium.com/@brianroemmele/the-apple-is-not-ready-for-ai-narrative-is-quite-uninformed-38aa5823d1c7#.mluswzcwn
    patchythepiratecali
  • Reply 46 of 52
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    paxman said:
    eightzero said:
    Gads, more @internetofshit. I've got Siri right here on my Apple Watch, and it is hardly ever useful. Much of the time it responds with "continue on iPhone." Well, if I wanted to do that, I would have started right there. 

About the only thing I can see Siri useful for is where you simply can't look at a screen. And that is available in CarPlay.

Siri has been around for 5 years? Gotta say it is one of the more disappointing Apple products I have. 
    I use Siri for dictation and that's about it. I have to say I am not very enthused about home automation. I think I prefer my home to be as dumb as possible. There is something reassuringly immediate with mechanical solutions like light switches.  There are so many devices in this house it is a struggle to keep up with general ios / OS X / wifi management sometimes. 
    why do you believe smart home features like lighting eliminate wall switches? try using the tech before you knock it. 
  • Reply 47 of 52
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    I wonder what everyone would be saying if Apple has come to market with this device first and Amazon announced their intentions for the same product.  ;)

It's only copying with the other guys do it.
    gatorguyrhonin
  • Reply 48 of 52
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Rayz2016 said:
    redstater said:
    "The smart home space is heating up as tech giants like Amazon, Apple and most recently Google put their considerable weight behind in-house initiatives." Sure. Right. Google launched their IoT strategy in 2014. That was when they launched voice-driven wearables and smart TV/TV box products and oh yes paid $2.3 billion for Nest. It didn't get off the ground because Samsung and LG went their own way with their own IoT platforms; Samsung's based on Tizen and LG based on webOS (renamed lgOS). Then Google tried again by launching an IoT platform based on a stripped-down version of Android called Brillo and an API called Weave. That was slightly more successful, as Google's go-to gadget company Asus, Kwikset and a couple more companies have Brillo/Weave gadgets launching this year (a door lock, a smart bridge and a Wi-Fi chip). Speaking of Wi-Fi chips, Google's OnHub routers (built by Asus) run ChromeOS. LG, playing both sides of the aisle, committed to trying their hand at Brillo-based appliances this year in addition to their own platform, because their lgOS based devices haven't been as successful as Samsung's (insecure and hackable) Tizen ones. So considering that they bought Nest (who also owns Dropcam) and launched other products as part of their IoT strategy before Apple even announced HomeKit, saying "most recently Google" is ridiculous. Google's "most recent" development is merely adding a competitor to Amazon Echo to their platform. Incidentally, I always find it humorous that whenever someone else launches a product or feature after Apple, that player is accused of "copying" or "infringing" but when Apple is the second (or third or fourth) to the party, there are always claims that "Apple was researching our own product before the competition launched theirs." So ... right. The device launched nearly 2 years ago. How long does it take to put iOS in a speaker? When you have already been making iPods for 14 years and iPods have run iOS sincd 2007!!!. At the very most this was an idea that Apple considered but mothballed only to revive when other companies demonstrated that it was a good idea. Nothing wrong with Apple coming out with their own speaker because Apple was known for great audio even before the iPod, but feeling the need to claim "no we were first REALLY!" just diminishes the #1 company in the world.

You're getting your underwear all twisted up for nothing. To begin with, this is a rumour. Secondly, Apple has never been first to market with anything and had never claimed to be. The iPhone was a success because Apple looked at existing phones and saw that they were not good. They had 10 years of Mcrosoft missteps to examine before they released the iPad. The fabled Apple car will be the result of looking at Tesla and working out why the haven't sold the notion of electric cars to everyone (probably because the notion of 'buying' a car is the problem). 

This is site was trying to make a big deal of Schmidt owning an iPhone.  We know he owns one; how else did Googe come up with Android?

And if Tim Cook doesn't have a stack of Samsungs in his top drawer then he's not doing his job. 

I was just about to thank everyone on this thread for not replying to redstater's post...
    cali
  • Reply 49 of 52
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    supadav03 said:
    Awesome. Love that Apple is finally opening Siri up. As for the Echo competitor, I'd definitely buy one, Just started getting into home automation (ecobee3, some hue lights) but have been waiting for Apple to drop something that would bring it all together and make it "just work". Hopefully this is the product.
    While I agree I wonder where or even if Apple has an IQ increase in store for Siri.
    • Google is like a college professor.
    • Cortona is like a high school teacher.
    • Echo is like a traveling salesman.
    • Facebook is like the chatty teen.  Or Soccer mom.
    • Siri is like a lobotomized Data right off the Star Trek set.
    Be interesting to see if Apple can come up with something usable and worthwhile.  I, as you guessed, have my doubts.

edited May 2016
  • Reply 50 of 52
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    eightzero said:
    A rhetorical question for sure. Fairly, my iPhone is hardly ever in my pocket at home. But my Apple Watch is always on my wrist. Nevermind how unhelpful Siri usually is, but the lag time is just a deal breaker. Flick your wrist, and speak to it like you would a person. Nothing happens. Now you repeat yourself, and wait 10s. Then get told go look at your iPhone. Yuck.
    I have to agree, Siri needs A LOT of work. It has a hard time finding you an answer, so much so, that I use it less and less.
    I try to use Siri but it is helpful only about 25% of the time. Often after repeated efforts, I lose it and then the only response I get from her is "Why I never."
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 51 of 52
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    Isn't that portable Siri device already in your pocket (and soon to be on your desktop or laptop)? Do you need another device sitting around in your home?
    What I need is a smarter, more knowledgeable Siri.  On the level of Google Now smart.  Sadly I don't see that happening.  Siri needs to grow up in a big way and Apple is not allowing that.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    rhonin said:
    Isn't that portable Siri device already in your pocket (and soon to be on your desktop or laptop)? Do you need another device sitting around in your home?
    What I need is a smarter, more knowledgeable Siri.  On the level of Google Now smart.  Sadly I don't see that happening.  Siri needs to grow up in a big way and Apple is not allowing that.
    Google now isn't so smart , Siri needs to be way beyond that and soon.