Energy consumption concerns loom over Apple's proposed Irish data center

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    apple ][ said:
    One of my dreams is to become so rich that I would be able to take a private jet and fly over to Europe for example, and have dinner, and then fly back home when I'm done eating.

When I get back home, I will lecture people on how this Planet is doomed, and how everybody needs to do their part in saving the environment. I will claim that all automobiles are evil, and that everybody should only ride bikes in the future. I of course will have my own fleet of limos and super cars, but that's because I need to travel around to eco conferences and lecture the under class on how they should live.

I will also claim that oil is evil, while at the same time getting funding from middle eastern, oil producing, extremist countries. I might even sell my company to them, for the right price. I'll probably also make a few movies, about some poor polar bears living on a sheet of 2' x 2' ice. If I can't get any real footage to suit my narrative, I'll just CGI the whole damn movie. The idiot public and the intended audience wont really care, so it makes no difference.

You don't stand for anything but spite.  Drumpf 2016.

You should roll coal, too.  
    dysamoriabaconstang
  • Reply 42 of 52
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    wizard69 said:
    designr said:
    What do you suppose is the cause of this issue in places like Ireland?

I really think it is cultural, I had the same problem in Ireland and Germany.   On many occasions had Coke served to me room temperature. It feels very strange at first.  
    Next time you are in China you will find two water options, warm and hot for public drinking. Imagine that, quite a bit different than just chilled or even room temperature. 
  • Reply 43 of 52
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    Galway is a lovely city. It's a shame that the airport shut down.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    cnocbui said:
    Any farms and houses downwind of that monster will be able to turn off their central heating and save a packet.  Local climate change - ftw!
    Just so you are aware: climate change caused by human activity is not the result of releasing too much heat, but by dumping particles into the air and increasing CO2.
    "Human activities contribute to climate change by causing changes in Earth’s atmosphere in the amounts of greenhouse gas- es, aerosols (small particles), and cloudiness. The largest known contribution comes from the burning of fossil fuels, which releases carbon dioxide gas to the atmosphere. Greenhouse gases and aero- sols affect climate by altering incoming solar radiation and out- going infrared (thermal) radiation that are part of Earth’s energy balance. Changing the atmospheric abundance or properties of these gases and particles can lead to a warming or cooling of the climate system. Since the start of the industrial era (about 1750), the overall effect of human activities on climate has been a warm- ing in uence. The human impact on climate during this era greatly exceeds that due to known changes in natural processes, such as solar changes and volcanic eruptions." -NOAA http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/pd/climate/factsheets/howhuman.pdf
    Using solar, wave or wind energy captures power without billowing clouds of greenhouse gasses into atmosphere (unlike burning trash or oil or coal or wood).
    You do realize that biological processes dwarf all industrial activity for CO2 production and release, right?
    steveh
  • Reply 45 of 52
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    longpath said:
    Just so you are aware: climate change caused by human activity is not the result of releasing too much heat, but by dumping particles into the air and increasing CO2.
    "Human activities contribute to climate change by causing changes in Earth’s atmosphere in the amounts of greenhouse gas- es, aerosols (small particles), and cloudiness. The largest known contribution comes from the burning of fossil fuels, which releases carbon dioxide gas to the atmosphere. Greenhouse gases and aero- sols affect climate by altering incoming solar radiation and out- going infrared (thermal) radiation that are part of Earth’s energy balance. Changing the atmospheric abundance or properties of these gases and particles can lead to a warming or cooling of the climate system. Since the start of the industrial era (about 1750), the overall effect of human activities on climate has been a warm- ing in uence. The human impact on climate during this era greatly exceeds that due to known changes in natural processes, such as solar changes and volcanic eruptions." -NOAA http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/pd/climate/factsheets/howhuman.pdf
    Using solar, wave or wind energy captures power without billowing clouds of greenhouse gasses into atmosphere (unlike burning trash or oil or coal or wood).
    You do realize that biological processes dwarf all industrial activity for CO2 production and release, right?
    You mean the beef industry? (methane)
    edited May 2016 messagepad2100
  • Reply 46 of 52
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    tokyojimu said:
    Does it really make sense to be serving most of Europe from a small island?
    Why? Is it going to wash away? Electrons wear out if they have to travel?
    messagepad2100cnocbui
  • Reply 47 of 52
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    dysamoria said:
    longpath said:
    You mean the beef industry? (methane)
    Between abiotic (think volcanoes), termites (enormous source of methane), and decomposition, the beef industry is small potatoes. Which do go well with steak.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    apple ][ said:
    One of my dreams is to become so rich that I would be able to take a private jet and fly over to Europe for example, and have dinner, and then fly back home when I'm done eating.

When I get back home, I will lecture people on how this Planet is doomed, and how everybody needs to do their part in saving the environment. I will claim that all automobiles are evil, and that everybody should only ride bikes in the future. I of course will have my own fleet of limos and super cars, but that's because I need to travel around to eco conferences and lecture the under class on how they should live.

I will also claim that oil is evil, while at the same time getting funding from middle eastern, oil producing, extremist countries. I might even sell my company to them, for the right price. I'll probably also make a few movies, about some poor polar bears living on a sheet of 2' x 2' ice. If I can't get any real footage to suit my narrative, I'll just CGI the whole damn movie. The idiot public and the intended audience wont really care, so it makes no difference.

Just because a few people are hypocrites doesn't mean there isn't global warming and severe environmental impacts.   

For someone who is involved with technology on a daily basis, why are you so willing to accept a 100-year-old technology and think we can't improve upon that?   We've lived with the internal combustion engine for 100 years.   It's time to get rid of it as well as anything else that burns fossil fuels, coal, etc.   People on here complain every day that Apple's tech from last year isn't advanced enough, but energy consumption tech from 100 years ago is perfectly okay?   

Besides, even if you don't believe in man-made global warming and its negative environmental impacts, everything we do to prevent it also improves air quality and will reduces rates of cancer, emphysema and other environmental-related diseases.    Or do you believe that cancer is just a government plot?

When I was a kid, apartment buildings in NYC used to incinerate their garbage.   You'd see heavy black smoke emanating from thousands of buildings.  We've come to understand that was a really bad idea, just as we've come to understand that lead in paint and gasoline was a really bad idea and we're better off for that.

If the future of cars was still the internal combustion engine, do you think Apple would be getting involved?   And if global warming wasn't an issue, do you think we'd be getting rid of the internal combustion engine?

Even with clearer cars and a severe decline in manufacturing, I wipe soot off of my window sills every day.   We're breathing all of that crap.   We can do better for ourselves, even if someone like you doesn't give a damn whether a polar bear or a coral reef lives or dies and lives their life in complete denial of reality because you're convinced that any attempt to improve life on this planet is a liberal plot to take away your freedom.   
    baconstangmessagepad2100asdasd
  • Reply 49 of 52
    NumNuts said:
    Actually ice simply isn't a big thing here hence the lack of ice machines in hotels generally. It's not very hot...20C is rare, which is why the place is attractive for data centres. Pubs will give you a pint (twice those 8oz) of ice, no problem. 
    I thought a pint at the pub was 20oz?
    Spot on. A real pint (~ 568 ml), like the one in The Fellowship of the Rings, when Merry and Pippin discovered them in The Prancing Pony.  B)
  • Reply 50 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    zoetmb said:
    We can do better for ourselves, even if someone like you doesn't give a damn whether a polar bear or a coral reef lives or dies and lives their life in complete denial of reality because you're convinced that any attempt to improve life on this planet is a liberal plot to take away your freedom.   
    I do believe that many so-called green initiatives are nothing more than totalitarian liberal plots being pushed by scammers and no good people.

Having said that, I am actually a fan of Tesla cars, and have been for many years now. I am still kicking myself for not buying a bunch of their stock some years ago.

I do believe that gas guzzling cars will be a thing of the past eventually. I also do believe that the US needs to rely as little as possible upon foreign sources of oil.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    wizard69 said:
    designr said:
    What do you suppose is the cause of this issue in places like Ireland?

I really think it is cultural, I had the same problem in Ireland and Germany.   On many occasions had Coke served to me room temperature. It feels very strange at first.  
    Wow, that sounds totally disgusting.

I know that some weird people prefer warm beer, but a room temperature coke?

If I was served that without knowing it was warm, I would immediately spit it out on the table or floor, and let the waiter know that something is very wrong with their coke.