Apple issues new iOS 9.3.2 update to address update errors on 9.7" iPad Pro

Posted:
in iPad
Apple on Thursday pushed out a new version of iOS 9.3.2 specifically for its 9.7-inch iPad Pro, aiming to address bugs that "bricked" some units while attempting to update.

The new iOS 9.3.2 is now available to download via software update through the iOS Settings application, or with iTunes on a Mac or PC. Builds are available for both the Wi-Fi-only 9.7-inch iPad Pro, and the LTE-capable model.

Apple had pulled the update two weeks ago following reports of broken updates. At the time, the company pledged that a fix was in the works, but in the meantime, users who hadn't updated were left on iOS 9.3.1.

It's unclear what caused the issues with iOS 9.3.2, as many users were able to install the update without any problems. But some reported that the install was "bricking" their iPad Pro, rendering it unusable.Upon attempting to install the update, affected iPad Pro units displayed an "Error 56" message, which Apple identifies as a generic hardware effort. Early reports suggested there was no immediate workaround other than taking the tablet to an Apple Store for help or a replacement.

iOS 9.3.2 launched last month as a minor update, most notably restoring the ability to use Night Shift while in Low Power Mode. It also squashed a bug that caused sound quality issues when taking a call over a Bluetooth headset.

Apple also said iOS 9.3.2 fixes an issue where looking up dictionary definitions could fail, and it addresses a bug that prevented typing email addresses when using the Japanese Kana keyboard in Mail and Messages. The update also fixes an issue for VoiceOver users using Alex voice, where the device switches to a different voice to announce punctuation or paces.

Finally, Apple also said that iOS 9.3.2 fixes an issue that prevented MDM servers from installing Custom B2B apps.
dws-2

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    Not gonna risk it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    There is probably a greater chance that Apple actually did a bit of testing of this release  before putting it out than for anythig else they have released in the last several years so you should be safe.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I just installed it but now it says there are 19 app updates available however there aren't any available. They are all recently updated. No install button in sight.

I guess it was an iCloud Services outage. Working now.

edited June 2016
  • Reply 4 of 5
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    Not gonna risk it.
    Same here - I'm just gonna have to live with Apple's daily spam notification to update for a couple of weeks I guess
  • Reply 5 of 5
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 528member
    What about people who live nowhere near an Apple Store? Or live in one of the many countries with no direct Apple presence? Will authorized resellers perform a swap?