New Apple Music ads feature DJ Khaled, Naomi Campbell & Ray Liotta

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple over the weekend launched two new Apple Music ads, both featuring musician and Beats 1 show host DJ Khaled in the wake of his new single with Drake, "For Free."

The first commercial, which premiered on Twitter, co-stars supermodel Naomi Campbell and features the pair driving a Rolls Royce down California's Pacific Coast Highway. Towards the end of the spot the pair stop at a beach, where Khaled explains to Campbell how to use Apple Music on an iPhone.

Me @naomicampbell in my first @AppleMusic commercial #ForFree w/ @Drake at #1 ONLY on Apple Music NBA Finals 2morrowhttps://t.co/xluWbBZq1W

-- DJ KHALED (@djkhaled)

In the second spot Khaled has an exchange with actor Ray Liotta, who conveniently mentions the service's $9.99-per-month pricetag and challenges him to find and play a Doobie Brothers song.

DJ Khaled launched his We the Best show on Beats 1 in February. "For Free" is currently an Apple Music exclusive, and the upcoming album it's from -- Major Key -- may follow suit. The single's first Beats 1 play was during an interview with fellow Beats 1 host Zane Lowe.

Apple has increasingly turned to major artists and exclusives to attract people to Apple Music. Perhaps the best known example is Taylor Swift, who shot a series of commercials for the service, and whose album 1989 is still only available for streaming there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    awful. just awful.
    Roger_Fingasjonl
  • Reply 2 of 5
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    I'm admittedly not his target demographic...

... but is this the kind of lyric Apple wants to promote?!  As an AAPL shareholder -- and as a human being -- I find this offensive and not admirable for a company priding itself on treating all people with respect.

"Is it just me?
    Or is this sex so good I shouldn't have to f____ for free?"
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 3 of 5
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

... but is this the kind of lyric Apple wants to promote?!  As an AAPL shareholder -- and as a human being -- I find this offensive and not admirable for a company priding itself on treating all people with respect.

"Is it just me?
    I always felt the whole point of the Beats acquisition was to appeal to and appear cool to a certain demographic. This ad just solidifies my view.

Perhaps instead of these crappy ads Apple should be working on something that will kick Spotify's Discover Weekly's ass. Federico Vicitti wrote a great piece about music discovery and how it's really lacking with Apple Music.

https://www.macstories.net/stories/i-made-you-a-mixtape/
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 4 of 5
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    The second with Ray Liotta was not bad.. kind of funny. but the first one was ... odd..
  • Reply 5 of 5
    guti2068guti2068 Posts: 23member

"Is it just me?
    I always felt the whole point of the Beats acquisition was to appeal to and appear cool to a certain demographic. This ad just solidifies my view.

Perhaps instead of these crappy ads Apple should be working on something that will kick Spotify's Discover Weekly's ass. Federico Vicitti wrote a great piece about music discovery and how it's really lacking with Apple Music.

https://www.macstories.net/stories/i-made-you-a-mixtape/
    Federico doesn't speak for every one. And Apple Music has acquires close to 14 millions users in a short time. People in the tech world are so disconnected. Go to Apple Music and check the top 10 albums. See what is really popular and what people really want.
    messagepad2100