Samsung may launch two bendable smartphones with OLED screens in 2017

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    croprcropr Posts: 1,130member
    cwingrav said:
    TurboPGT said:
    Because this is what the world is missing? Bendable phones?

No. Next gimmick please. 
    I think the eventual use will be in a flip-phone like system where you have a regular phone, and then can flip it open for twice the display space. It's not the bending that is a feature, but the ability to unfold, without bezels, into more pixels and interaction space. That said, if it doesn't have touch interaction on the flipped out part, it won't be useful.
    Making a touch surface bendable is relatively easy, making a display bendable is much more difficult.  So I guess if Samsung has managed to make a bendable display, it will have touch
  • Reply 22 of 66
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Those thieves. They read Sog35's idea for a bendable phone and stole it. 
    radarthekatsingularitystarwars
  • Reply 23 of 66
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Bendable is another gimmick.  A foldable screen is more useful.  Like opening a book to read with two pages on each side.  The usefulness is up to the developers to imagine. 
    williamlondonjbdragon
  • Reply 24 of 66
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    If they do release something like this, and its good. There going to steal Apple's thunder in 2017. A flexible smartphone that goes from a 5" S7 like device to an 8" tablet would be very useful...and king of the gadgets!
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 25 of 66
    webmongerwebmonger Posts: 23member
    TurboPGT said:
    Because this is what the world is missing? Bendable phones?

No. Next gimmick please. 
    yep... Yet more technology looking for a problem to solve. If at some point it serves a useful purpose then maybe it is more than just a sound bite.
    edited June 2016 TurboPGTlkrupp
  • Reply 26 of 66
    techlover said:
    Seems like Samsung has been working on this tech for a good while now.

Maybe its finally ripe enough for a complete fold without the glass. We've all seen their curved OLED displays for a few years now, but they all had glass.

From January 9, 2011:

And that was back in 2011!
  • Reply 27 of 66
    igorsky said:
    Anyone who buys any gen 1 product from Samsung is a moron, no offense. Especially a gen 1 product that they haven't copied off of anyone yet.
    First generation products by most companies including Apple are best avoided if you can hold off for the second-gen iterations...which are usually greatly improved! That's always been a rule of mine when it comes to products from Apple and others.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    A foldable iPhone will hit the weak point of Android OS. 
  • Reply 29 of 66
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 633member
    Samsung is still throwing '_hit' against the wall.
    jbdragonstarwarslkrupp
  • Reply 30 of 66
    While they're at it...Why don't they try putting Dick Tracy on a watch... Hey, I just thought of that!'
  • Reply 31 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This strikes me as a product that sounds good in theory, but in reality is not. Take me for example, iPhone 6 sounded good in theory, but SE is a far better choice for me. I'm much happier with it. If it could bend out to double its size it's not yet clear if that would make a great product. I wouldn't argue there's equal potential for it to make a worse product.

Step 1. make it.
    Step 2. tests, use and review it.
    Step 3. form an opinion.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Another example of...Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
    spice-boy
  • Reply 33 of 66
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Samsung is doing some vapping.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    well I mean I could see several uses for a bendable/foldable phone. aside from the obvious of having a larger screen in a smaller space, it would also probably make the phone more durable. if dropped a flexible phone would be less likely to break than a rigid one. and I'm sure Samsung will include some sort of band at the end of the phone so you can strap it round your wrist, which might be interesting to see
  • Reply 35 of 66
    KawhiKawhi Posts: 2member
    This is just a gimmick until Apple does it right? Just like the edge screen that is rumored for the 2017 iPhone.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    The big question is...

How many bends ddoes it take for the bit that bends to work harden and crack/split/just stop working

Will bring a whole new chapter to bendgate if they get it wrong.

I bet the engineers of the company that files the second highest number of patents annually never thought of that.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    igorsky said:
    Anyone who buys any gen 1 product from Samsung is a moron, no offense. Especially a gen 1 product that they haven't copied off of anyone yet.
    I am still using a Samsung Wave, which was their first phone running Bada.  6 years and counting of daily use.   Could it be you actually haven't a clue and just think preaching to the choir will bring admiration?
    singularity
  • Reply 38 of 66
    carmelapplecarmelapple Posts: 124member
    Is it just me or did both the folding phone and the "slide-out" phablet at the end of the video look like they were sheets of paper with printed images on them glued to some kind of case? They were very static looking. The only time the foldable phone looked like a phone was when the guy put it in his pocket and his pocket was actually lit up like there was a legitimate phone in there. I think in that part, a real phone could have been slipped in or for even more fakery, just simply had a backlight lighting up the paper. These looked like the dummy display phones you used to see (and may still see) at many stores with a static printed image.

Even when Microsoft did that vaporware "Courier" concept years ago, they at least made videos where it looked legitimately like something that could happen...of course it never did. With Apple, the closest you get to this kind of thing is through looking at their newest patents. If these Samsung "devices" were actually faked (and they look really, really fake), you would never see Apple do something like this. Samsung's best bet would have been to make the whole thing an animated demo rather than some idiotic "reality" sitcom type thing. This is just embarrassing. 
  • Reply 39 of 66
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    Is it just me or did both the folding phone and the "slide-out" phablet at the end of the video look like they were sheets of paper with printed images on them glued to some kind of case? They were very static looking. The only time the foldable phone looked like a phone was when the guy put it in his pocket and his pocket was actually lit up like there was a legitimate phone in there. I think in that part, a real phone could have been slipped in or for even more fakery, just simply had a backlight lighting up the paper. These looked like the dummy display phones you used to see (and may still see) at many stores with a static printed image.

Even when Microsoft did that vaporware "Courier" concept years ago, they at least made videos where it looked legitimately like something that could happen...of course it never did. With Apple, the closest you get to this kind of thing is through looking at their newest patents. If these Samsung "devices" were actually faked (and they look really, really fake), you would never see Apple do something like this. Samsung's best bet would have been to make the whole thing an animated demo rather than some idiotic "reality" sitcom type thing. This is just embarrassing. 

well usually in videos like this they use a dummy piece of hardware and simulate the screen using CGI
  • Reply 40 of 66
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    That looks like some breakage just waiting to happen, because you know... Physics.