CurrentC inches closer to death as Apple Pay adds over 30 banks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    It's not so much about saving 2 seconds by using your phone instead of plastic. It's more about eliminating all that plastic in your wallet. 
    So far, I've added my debit, credit and three different stire cards to my Apple wallet. Costco, if they wake up, would be big. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 22 of 35
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Now if only Wal-Mart would stop being stupid with their own payment system and accept ApplePay. I'll be curious as to how well this succeeds 6 months from now. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 23 of 35
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    slurpy said:
    How many fucking banks and credit unions are there in the US? An infinite number? Seems like every week there's another 50 banks added. 
    credit unions are pretty small and local. think of them more as co-ops rather than national bank chains, which they arent. in fact back in the old days all the banks were just local businesses, before chains.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    sockrolid said:
    Hey CVS.  If you enable ApplePay, I'll start buying stuff in your stores again.
    Right now Walgreen's is my CVS replacement.
    Walgreens does Apple Pay properly, even the Walgreens rewards card works on a watch,.
    IMO Walgreens is the right method, better than Staples and Starbucks even.

I dont much care abot more banks, just more places - and be consistant. Sometimes I can use Apple Pay at HArris Teater, sometime s not - its silly. Also Home Depot.

Wawa recently introduced it, bit you have to sign in to their app on your iPhone, its way too much work to use it in practice.
    I agree.

OT ...  OK, my 2nd rant of the day.  I wonder sometimes why I need a bank.  I'd rather trust Apple to look after my money, I wish they'd set up a savings system (apart from AAPL I mean) .  I use Amex at all times if accepted and Visa if not.  My bank doesn't seem to serve any function in my life except for nickel-and-diming me at every opportunity.  I have no loans only savings accounts and yet they still hit me with any fee they can think up. Oh I do get like .01% interest, thanks Wells Fargo.  I especially appreciate the fact when I accidentally used the wrong account one day how my overdraft protection kicked in and used money from another account for only a $30 fee , plus there is well over 200K in this branch,  I remember when fees were not charged if you had over $500!  Just wow!  
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 25 of 35
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    amarkap said:
    Please know that I'm not meaning to bash Apple (or Apple Pay) when I write this, but honestly I don't really get it too much. I have an Apple Watch and I have used Apple Pay with it, but it was never like a game-changing moment. Partly my fault in that I forget what button to press to bring up Apple Pay on the watch but even the few items it all worked I guess it was just okay. Using a credit card would have been just as well. Again, not earth-shattering cool by any means for me. But I keep reading about how Apple is getting more and more banks and places to come on board...but I never really know why. Is it just to sell hardware? I can't imagine people going the way of Apple just for this. Maybe a little bit sure...but all this has got to be costing Apple some good money. I can say the Share price sure doesn't reflect this initiative. Anyway, no harm no foul I guess so keep going and maybe the new generation prefers all this.
    How abut the day you no longer need to carry around cards? Or even Keys for that matter, just your SmartPhone!!! Credit Cards in general have weak security. I've had to replace my credit card 3 years in a row because somehow they got my number and tried using it. Apple Pay uses a 1 time use Token that changes every time you use it. Even if somehow someone got that, it would be worthless. Apple Pay can be quite fast and simple. You can see this at places like McDonald's. Other places you still have to enter your passcode or sign the screen and enter a number of Yes/No questions that slow things down. Apple gets a cut of each transaction, something like .15%. But because it's helping with fraud and saving the credit card company's money, it's a small price to pay. .15% of the around 3% fee they get on transactions is not much. Apple Pay is not not transactions on your phone or watch, but Online also. You can shop online and then pay using Apple Pay. Instead of something like Paypal, or using your credit card which is throwing your credit card info out there. It's why I use Paypal when at all possible as Apple Pay support on the Internet is still really pretty poor.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    PS  
    To the guy who wrote this"Maybe you haven't heard about the Home Depot or Target hacks"... To "amarkap"...

maybe be you haven't heard: Target doesn't do Pay and neither does our 2 local Home Depot either. So what was your point at that dig. The guy should stop saving money and buy product from a grocery store? Oh that's right NO grocery stores in our area take Pay either. Luckily I understood what he was saying but maybe read what he was saying/asking "is all this talking about banks taking it just to get people to buy our hardware?  No. It's more to get all of US to complain at the places we shop that we don't want to use our wallet when there's a safer way!
    Actually Target does do Apple Pay! not in their stores, but Online!!! It's kind of strange why that is. Apple Pay did work at Home Depot for a while, but it was disabled. They were also part of the CurrentC group and I think that was why they killed it. They did announce a while back that they would be Supporting Apple Pay. One thing is for sure, I'm seeing Apple Pay support grow. Maybe not as fast as I and others would like, but it is growing. It took a long time before Credit Card terminal machines were everywhere. Before that it was a Carbon Paper and a manual Roller Machine. This is why even to this day, most cards still have the raised credit card number. So it's not going to happen overnight. The day I no longer need my wallet, or a very thin wallet, will be great. One of the other cool things, say you have to get your credit card replaced, either because of fraud or whatever, it'll auto update on your iPhone with the new info even as you wait for the new card to show up in the mail. So that's nice. My Well's Fargo card has no CHIP in it still. Neither does my Discover Card. Why they are so slow? I expected new cards with the chip by October of last year when liability to fraud was switching for the credit card company to the business if they still allowed swiping on a card with a chip unless the card had no chip. Yet here we are and I'm still waiting. I do have a MasterCard with a Chip, but I rarely use it.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    slurpy said:
    How many fucking banks and credit unions are there in the US? An infinite number? Seems like every week there's another 50 banks added. 
    The U.S. is a big place. We have our big banks like Wells Fargo and Bank of America, or Citibank, but there's many, many small Banks and Credit Unions. Small chains. Lots of choices, which isn't a bad thing. If only we had ISP choices as we do Banks in every town/city in America.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    this isn't so much a death as being stillborn 
  • Reply 29 of 35
    macseeker said:
    slurpy said:
    Well, they're coming out of the woodworks. I live in a really small city and one wouldn't believe how many different financial institutions there are around here.
    It must be pretty good business!!!! At least you have choices.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    slurpy said:
    And my CU is not even in there yet. fcking shit bank.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    I just want to cut up my credit cards and use apple pay on phone or watch everywhere without anything in my wallet except a drivers license and a medical card (until I can get rid of that).
  • Reply 32 of 35
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Apple has been great about adding banks but I'd like to see a push towards more cards. Almost every co-branded card I own is usupported, i.e. Playstation Capital One Card.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    amarkap said:
    Please know that I'm not meaning to bash Apple (or Apple Pay) when I write this, but honestly I don't really get it too much. I have an Apple Watch and I have used Apple Pay with it, but it was never like a game-changing moment. Partly my fault in that I forget what button to press to bring up Apple Pay on the watch but even the few items it all worked I guess it was just okay. Using a credit card would have been just as well. Again, not earth-shattering cool by any means for me. But I keep reading about how Apple is getting more and more banks and places to come on board...but I never really know why. Is it just to sell hardware? I can't imagine people going the way of Apple just for this. Maybe a little bit sure...but all this has got to be costing Apple some good money. I can say the Share price sure doesn't reflect this initiative. Anyway, no harm no foul I guess so keep going and maybe the new generation prefers all this.
    It is more about credit card security than simple payment method.

"With Apple Pay, instead of using your actual credit and debit card numbers when you add your card, a unique Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted, and securely stored in the Secure Element, a dedicated chip in iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. When you make a purchase, the Device Account Number, along with a transaction-specific dynamic security code, is used to process your payment. So your actual credit or debit card numbers are never shared by Apple with merchants or transmitted with payment. And unlike credit cards, on iPhone and iPad every payment requires Touch ID or a passcode, and Apple Watch must be unlocked — so only you can make payments from your device."
  • Reply 34 of 35
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    slurpy said:
    This is what I was thinking too. Canada has 5 banks and a handful of provincial credit unions (BC for example all the credit unions are part of "Credit Union Central", Ontario has one too, then they merged in 2008, so now all the credit unions in both provinces have this one financial backend that does all their apps and stuff.) It makes me wonder why the US has so many small banks. There are no small banks in Canada essentially.