Apple's Taiwanese bonds come in higher than expected at $1.38B

Posted:
in AAPL Investors
Apple actually did nearly 40 better than anticipated in its first Taiwanese bond sale, raising $1.38 billion, a report indicated on Wednesday.

The Taipei Exchange announced that Apple's 30-year bond will list on June 22, according to Reuters. The newswire agency's sources originally estimated a take between $1 billion and $1.2 billion, although that figure hadn't been finalized.

As predicted, the bond will be callable after the second year. Reuters did not report what the final yield was, but its earlier sources mentioned a figure of 4.15 percent, lower than it could've been because of strong demand.

Apple, meanwhile, hasn't said what it intends to use the sale's proceeds for. As with previous bond offerings though the company will presumably use them to finance its capital return program for investors, which in April grew another $50 billion to $250 billion.

Last week Apple launched a second Australian bond sale, at the time estimated to have generated A$1.425 billion ($1.04 billion U.S.). The company has in fact offered bonds in several currencies during the past year or so, including British pounds and Japanese yen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    "40 better"? 

This reminds me of the Homer Simpson quote, "Aw, I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
    potatoleeksoupJanNL
  • Reply 2 of 4
    40 what? That doesn't even compute. $1.38 billion is $380 MILLION better than a billion, not $38 million. No wonder the U.S. populace doesn't bat an eye at our national debt or the rate at which it is rising. They don't get it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    sagacious said:
    40 what? That doesn't even compute. $1.38 billion is $380 MILLION better than a billion, not $38 million. No wonder the U.S. populace doesn't bat an eye at our national debt or the rate at which it is rising. They don't get it.
    40 percent, presumably.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 314member
    I agree. 40 what? Poor writing.
    edited June 2016