Apple preparing changes to MacBook lineup this month

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I'll be bummed if there are no Mac announcements at WWDC and we just get spec bumps and maybe price reductions later in the month. Apple needs to show the Mac more love than that.
    No matter what Apple says or does at WWDC, I'm pretty certain you'll be bummed, and it'll be Eddy Cue's fault. 
    edited June 2016 nolamacguybrucemcai46macxpress
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    And all of a sudden I think I'm Julian Clary.   :/
    ai46
  • Reply 23 of 41
    How would Apple spec bump the 15'' MBP that currently uses a 3 year old Intel processor? Is Apple going to drop in a Skylake processor with USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 into the current design?
  • Reply 24 of 41
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    wood1208 said:
    Hardware improvements on Macbook pro is always welcome news for people looking to upgrade. But this time around, I hope to see MBP(13",15") loose some weight and get bit slimmer. 

Eccchhh, no.   :)  Slimmer is one thing Apple has been delivering on for years, often going over the line of diminished returns.  Leave the Airs going for those who want slim and keep the MBPs with the space inside to house SSDs in good temperature and enough ports to keep it a "pro" machine.  
    pulseimagesstevehration albb-15
  • Reply 25 of 41
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Apple should bring STANDARDS to all devices, including Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 Type C Generation 2 and SDXC with extra pins for maximum (300 MB/s) read/write speed.
    pulseimagesration al
  • Reply 26 of 41
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    MacBook 14" arrives immediately and replaces 13" MacBook Air. MacBook Pro 14" and 16" models arrive slightly later. New screen sizes reflect that bezel between screen edge and enclosure has been reduced. Overall, form factor remains similar in terms of exterior dimensions. The screens in MBPs have been improved again for an even higher resolution. Discrete GPUs for MBP will make 16" model extremely powerful. 14" MBP sticks with integrated Intel GPU. Not sure if 14" gets discrete option.
    oseamepatchythepirate
  • Reply 27 of 41
    oseameoseame Posts: 73member
    tailpipe said:
    MacBook 14" arrives immediately and replaces 13" MacBook Air. MacBook Pro 14" and 16" models arrive slightly later. New screen sizes reflect that bezel between screen edge and enclosure has been reduced. Overall, form factor remains similar in terms of exterior dimensions. The screens in MBPs have been improved again for an even higher resolution. Discrete GPUs for MBP will make 16" model extremely powerful. 14" MBP sticks with integrated Intel GPU. Not sure if 14" gets discrete option.
    I would finally upgrade my 17" MBP
  • Reply 28 of 41
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    They can pry my 17" macbook pro from my cold dead hands for portable professional computing work... Ironically I was looking at the air too, as it's GPU has improved so much, if ultra portability is desired, with some actual horsepower, alas no retina display... Finally I've been looking at the HP Spectre, partly because I'm just so worn out with the MacOS merry go round of annual 'upgrades' to feed the developer gravy train, drivers failing, app updating... W7 pro set & forget it...
    Good luck getting 7 Pro, and that's a dated obsolete OS. Both Windows and Mac OS get a big update yearly at a minimum now, so the grass isn't greener on the other side.
    W7 Pro is available at my local retailer (just checked).  Undoubtedly there are issues with Windows, but W7 appears to have support through 2020 per http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle, which is more than I would expect even from El Capitan sold today?

One has choice when upgrading or replacing PC hardware, and can continue with existing workflows, peripherals & applications, rather than being essentially forced on to the latest version (or in some cases entirely new peripherals) to be supported for example in El Capitan, then requiring application upgrades, and retraining? 

Even Apple has axed W7 in bootcamp - so do I load my needed licenses on new PCs? Parallels has been unworkable.  A number of .GOV vertical PC software (ie http://www.doe2.com) does not even support beyond NT, so in fact the reverse issue might arise, yet W7 has compatibility mode...

If Apple ever wants to get beyond marginal desktop percentage adoption, do they need to be more sensitive to business needs for stability & workflow longevity?
  • Reply 29 of 41
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    This one is easy: A10 for MacBook and much lower prices and higher performance because of it (also, not to forget, 25 hours or more battery life).

Edit: think of it this way, Musk is going to Mars and define the future of the industry, and Apple is still holding back on a "minor" update, while sitting on an enormous pile of money. Time for Apple to dare a little and be able to define the future of computing while otherwise risking to lose it all.
    EDIT: Oh my, listen to this guy: 
    Didn't know about that, I'm afraid this is exactly the plan I had for Apple - even better, because Musk knows al lot more than I do about this (his speed of light comment is spot on!) - but Musk already set it in motion. It is too late for Apple now.

edited June 2016
  • Reply 30 of 41
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    They can pry my 17" macbook pro from my cold dead hands for portable professional computing work... Ironically I was looking at the air too, as it's GPU has improved so much, if ultra portability is desired, with some actual horsepower, alas no retina display... Finally I've been looking at the HP Spectre, partly because I'm just so worn out with the MacOS merry go round of annual 'upgrades' to feed the developer gravy train, drivers failing, app updating... W7 pro set & forget it...
    let me get this straight -- you're considering switching to Windows because you're tired of getting free OS X upgrades? uh huh. 
    edited June 2016 inplainviewbrucemcai46
  • Reply 31 of 41
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Finally I've been looking at the HP Spectre, partly because I'm just so worn out with the MacOS merry go round of annual 'upgrades' to feed the developer gravy train, drivers failing, app updating... W7 pro set & forget it...
    You came so very close to answering your own question. And whiffed it.

"W7 pro set & forget it" (and ignore the W8 and W10 upgrades that followed).

Pick your preferred OS X version and stick with it (and the apps you've got running on it) until something really compelling drives you to upgrade. Or maybe the shiny bits are just too distracting to ignore?
    inplainviewai46
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Good luck getting 7 Pro, and that's a dated obsolete OS. Both Windows and Mac OS get a big update yearly at a minimum now, so the grass isn't greener on the other side.
    W7 Pro is available at my local retailer (just checked).  Undoubtedly there are issues with Windows, but W7 appears to have support through 2020 per http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle, which is more than I would expect even from El Capitan sold today?

One has choice when upgrading or replacing PC hardware, and can continue with existing workflows, peripherals & applications, rather than being essentially forced on to the latest version (or in some cases entirely new peripherals) to be supported for example in El Capitan, then requiring application upgrades, and retraining? 

Even Apple has axed W7 in bootcamp - so do I load my needed licenses on new PCs? Parallels has been unworkable.  A number of .GOV vertical PC software (ie http://www.doe2.com) does not even support beyond NT, so in fact the reverse issue might arise, yet W7 has compatibility mode...

If Apple ever wants to get beyond marginal desktop percentage adoption, do they need to be more sensitive to business needs for stability & workflow longevity?
    Why do people feel the need to say what they are and aren't going to do? Just do it. Go to Windows and don't feel the need to pontificate. Are you needy for attention?
    brucemcai46bb-15
  • Reply 33 of 41
    tedbergtedberg Posts: 2member
    tailpipe said:
    Yes, this is what I'd like to see.  Have to add though, all in on USB C for MacBook and Thunderbolt 3 for MBP.  Don't need HDMI port, a dongle would be fine.  Keep SDXC slot and keep headphone jack for now.  One thing not mentioned are the display improvements from the iPad Pro 9.7".  

On software side, I'd like to see better integration to pair an iPad with Mac to use together.  
  • Reply 34 of 41
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    tedberg said:
    tailpipe said:
    Yes, this is what I'd like to see.  Have to add though, all in on USB C for MacBook and Thunderbolt 3 for MBP.  Don't need HDMI port, a dongle would be fine.  Keep SDXC slot and keep headphone jack for now.  One thing not mentioned are the display improvements from the iPad Pro 9.7".  

On software side, I'd like to see better integration to pair an iPad with Mac to use together.  
    The headphone jack will be there as long as there's room for it, but as soon as the iPhone drops the headphone jack, they'll likely add a Lightning port to the opposite side, currently blank in that leaked case shell,

While the SDXC slot seems to be history, the good news is that if you have a Lightning SD card adapter for your iPad/iPhone already, then it will likely work with your new MBP. ;-)
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 35 of 41
    I hope, I hope, I hope they remove all the ports except one, make it thinner in exchange for slightly worse battery life, increase the cost of upgrades, prohibit user-serviceable upgrades, but TOTALLY increase the screen resolution! And I want it in rose gold!
  • Reply 36 of 41
    vision33rvision33r Posts: 213member
    Apple has so many models that are stuck in time.  Very few hardware companies refresh their products this slowly.  Companies like Lenovo, HP, and Dell refresh an entire lineup at the same time or broken up into quarters in the same year.  Lenovo would announce a full lineup update and give soft targets for certain models.  This prepares retailers, purchasing agents, and businesses enough time to plan their purchase or their hardware refresh. 

The way Apple does things, companies either compete for latest model supplies or some just sit back and wait for supplies to show in stock before committing to hardware refreshes.  Apple needs to have a better announcement strategy with these hardware refreshes like car mfg does.  
  • Reply 37 of 41
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I hope, I hope, I hope they remove all the ports except one, make it thinner in exchange for slightly worse battery life, increase the cost of upgrades, prohibit user-serviceable upgrades, but TOTALLY increase the screen resolution! And I want it in rose gold!
    When has Apple ever reduced battery life from one generation to the next? In the worst case, the battery life has remained the same from one generation to the next; but more typically, the battery life is improved, despite the iPhone getting smaller, and doing more.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    vision33r said:
    Apple has so many models that are stuck in time.  Very few hardware companies refresh their products this slowly.  Companies like Lenovo, HP, and Dell refresh an entire lineup at the same time or broken up into quarters in the same year.  Lenovo would announce a full lineup update and give soft targets for certain models.  This prepares retailers, purchasing agents, and businesses enough time to plan their purchase or their hardware refresh. 

The way Apple does things, companies either compete for latest model supplies or some just sit back and wait for supplies to show in stock before committing to hardware refreshes.  Apple needs to have a better announcement strategy with these hardware refreshes like car mfg does.  
    Doing it the way Dell, Lenovo et al. do it also absolutely GUARANTEES that the current lineup will no longer sell at all, unless heavily discounted, which eats into margins — either theirs, or the dealers'. In its extreme, this is called the Osborne Effect — after the computer company which killed sales by pre-announcing the next line of machines and went bankrupt as a result.

As for how many models Apple has… Mentioning that in the same breath that sells Dell and Lenovo as rôle models to be imitated is probably the funniest thing I've read in this thread.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Any guesses on the time frame for next-gen MacBook Pros? School is coming up, and I need to get one soon. The 15" model has been great for me, but I'm starting to worry about upgradablity. Would the newest, base model, 15" MacBook Pro last four years for me? I want to be smarter about my next purchase. I could try to make this one last for four years, or use it for a year and then get the newest one, or just wait for a new one, but school starts in August. 

What do you guys think?
  • Reply 40 of 41
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    spheric said:
    vision33r said:

Doing it the way Dell, Lenovo et al. do it also absolutely GUARANTEES that the current lineup will no longer sell at all, unless heavily discounted, which eats into margins — either theirs, or the dealers'. In its extreme, this is called the Osborne Effect — after the computer company which killed sales by pre-announcing the next line of machines and went bankrupt as a result.

As for how many models Apple has… Mentioning that in the same breath that sells Dell and Lenovo as rôle models to be imitated is probably the funniest thing I've read in this thread.
    Exactly.  Apple is nothing like Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.

Those other companies are full-line computer vendors with dozens of model ranging from $300 laptops to multi-thousand-dollar workstations.  They have to appeal to many different audiences.

HP releases a dozen Pavilion laptops every year.  Same for Dell and their Inspiron laptops.  But nobody really notices from one year to the next.  They aren't big events like an Apple announcement.

Nobody ever says "did you see the new HP Pavilion 15-ab292nr that was just announced?"  It just kinda shows up at Best Buy and people take it home.  They don't even know what the previous model was.

Apple is more like a boutique computer vendor... with a specific audience.  And that audience is very aware of their models.

So how often should Apple update their models?  Not often enough and people complain.  Too often and they will complain too!

On the other hand... nobody complains when the HP Pavilion 15-ab022ng gets replaced by the Pavilion 15-ab292nr just a year later.
    edited July 2016