New Apple Campus 2 tour highlights 'breathing' concrete, glass panels, power tech & more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Impressive.
    Did anyone think of how to clean all that glass?
  • Reply 22 of 35
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 539member
    zoetmb said:
    Early 2017?   Just half a year away?  From the last flyover video that I saw, I doubt that highly based on progress to date.  I'd bet occupancy in a year might be a bit more accurate.   (No need to argue, time will tell).  

This facility seems so huge, I wonder how efficient it will be for employees:  how long will it take from the time they drive onto the campus... yada... yada.
    First, try reading again. The facility is scheduled to BEGIN operations early 2017. Beginning operations isn't the same as 100% feature complete.

Second, and as has been mentioned, there are plenty of local conference rooms and cafes. All in all, I'd think it would be little different personal efficiency-wise than the current campus design that Apple, Google, and everyone else uses. Some things are local to your building/area. Meetings in another meeting/area require you to walk across campus.

Parking? My fiancee works for a hospital and walks 10 minutes from her assigned parking garage to her office. Again, not that much different from every other big business in America.
    pscooter63mike1
  • Reply 23 of 35
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    ireland said:
    The House that Jobs built is yet another testament to his passion and talent for creating beautiful and useful objects. 
    Credit Norman Foster and partners with much of the work here. The circle idea, the natural ventilation, all of those ideas came from Foster—he's an architectural genius. One of the most inspiring and exciting building designs I've ever seen.
    Sorry he also created that uninspired 1 WTC. 
  • Reply 24 of 35
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,818member
    Um I'm pretty sure the people that work on Campus 2 are not the same people working on Apple products.
    Ummm...what?
  • Reply 25 of 35
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,818member
    knowitall said:
    Impressive.
    Did anyone think of how to clean all that glass?

They're going to buy SC Johnson's Windex brand and make it an Apple exclusive product. 
  • Reply 26 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    macapfel said:
    From Apple Maps, it looks like 2017 is definitely doable:

That image is not up to date. The solar roofs of both parking garages are 75% finished now.

Interesting tidbit I noticed, you can see construction works parking on the roof level up parking garage 1. Suggesting it has reached at least some limited use.

edited June 2016 baconstangpatchythepirate
  • Reply 27 of 35
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    I didn't know Apple also makes hardhats :)
  • Reply 28 of 35
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

Crappy iPhone 5S (zoomed in 100%) pic of Apple Campus 2 as seen on Thursday just after takeoff out of San Jose International. 
    That's the difference from optical Zion to digital zoom.  There's no optical zoom on most smartphones.  So you don't have a lens magnifying, you have a image blown up. Basically zoomed in and cropped, degrading the image.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,249member
    wizard69 said:
    Hopefully it is built to withstand a 9+ on the Richter scale earthquake.
    The first rest that I thought when seeing pics of the proposed building is tha I wouldn't want to be near it during an earth quake. These later pictures just reinforce that thought. The place just doesn't look earth quake safe at all.

It would need to have passed earthquake certification.... is that not a requirement in the California Building Code? I fully expect the glass will either be reinforced similar to automobile glass where there's a layer of flexible glue, or will shatter entirely into harmless square pieces. But if the glass is part of the supporting structure, that would be an interesting situation.

Definitely a fascinating structure it is.

I live on Vancouver Island.. right on the same fault line... we're overdue for the "Big One". All of our commercial construction needs to meet earthquake requirements.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    spice-boy said:
    ireland said:
    Credit Norman Foster and partners with much of the work here. The circle idea, the natural ventilation, all of those ideas came from Foster—he's an architectural genius. One of the most inspiring and exciting building designs I've ever seen.
    Sorry he also created that uninspired 1 WTC. 
    The Architect will work from a brief supplied by the customer. They'll produce a number of designs and the customer (and local Government???) chooses which one is built after all, they are paying the bill. Some customers are more ready to be innovative than others.
    In general Norman Foster's designs are some of the best around.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Then the big earthquake comes and ........

I always questioned the logic in expanding in California, no water, not tax friendly, expensive housing for employees, and the big earthquake that is suppose to level everything that is near the San Andre's fault.

• Reply 32 of 35
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    zoetmb said:
    Early 2017?   These are all things that can substantially eat into hours actually worked, but more importantly, eat into morale.   

I am quite sure that Apple has a team working on all the things you mentioned. They are highly organized with their building management and time management of employees. They will stagger schedules so that there is not a traffic jam during the morning or evening hours. They will set up meetings in places that are easily accessable from all locations in the building. You gotta believe that Foster et al and the HVAC engineers have run computer simulations on how the environmental systems will operate and perform. That should go a long way towards ensuring effective ventilation from day one. No worries.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Rayz2016 said:
    wizard69 said:
    Hopefully it is built to withstand a 9+ on the Richter scale earthquake.
    The first rest that I thought when seeing pics of the proposed building is tha I wouldn't want to be near it during an earth quake. These later pictures just reinforce that thought. The place just doesn't look earth quake safe at all.

Yes, because when they decided to spend $6billion on a building in an earthquake zone, they chose to get advice from structural engineers and architects, rather than a random bods on AppleInsider.

What the hell were they thinking??

I'm one of the random bods obviously, but at least I tried a basic internet search: is Apple Campus 2 earthquake proof.

And to the surprise of no one, it is, because the building codes require it. That's right: it's the law. Many buildings in the area have been retrofitted to make the grade.

http://wow-webmagazine.com/apple-campus-2-the-construction-of-the-fosters-spaceship-in-cupertino-is-progressing#.V11O0Ff1-Ls

The building walls are constructed of earthquake-resistant materials which they would need to keep the glass in place. If one of those sheets slipped out of its mounts, then it could potentially kill hundreds.

The whole structure is mounted on base isolators designed to absorb the shock of an earthquake. The building will move on top of these isolators without collapsing. If it's a really big quake though, I reckon some people will vomit from the movement (that should keep the naysayers happy). These are apparently being retrofitted in buildings in the danger zone.

This one is a personal observation I would make which disagrees with yours. Rather than being a very tall, very thin pencil, the campus is a squat wide donut. That is much better shape for an earthquake zone. Aside from being stronger, it will make it a lot easier for rescue services if they don't have to retrieve people from very high up. 

One aside I picked up: the campus will have a working fruit farm, so at least the workers will have something to eat while they're waiting for the president to make his disaster appearance.

Well said!

• Reply 34 of 35
    "The structure's restaurant doors alone are 92 feet tall, and weight a collective 330 tons."

Is this a misprint? I'm trying to work out what these numbers mean
  • Reply 35 of 35
    ddf200ddf200 Posts: 3member
    Taken June 12/2016 ~12 noon.