Microsoft buys professional social networking service LinkedIn for $26.2B

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    sog35 said:
    What a pathetic acquisition.

Most people in the know view Linkin as a joke. Rampant with false information and constant spamming. $26 billion? And the media has the nerve to call the Beats acquistion idiotic? Linkin is only generating $3 billion in revenue a year and losing tens of billions each year. 
    I'm not cheer leading this acquisition, but LinkedIn is losing tens of billions a year?

Do you have a source for that? 
  • Reply 42 of 49
    Wow, what losers.  Linked-In has been one of the biggest spam-sources I've run into.  And I've NEVER joined it.  Never will.  But plenty of others have had their contact lists raided by LI, and immediately I get another unwanted invitation.  Just like FB used to do. Just like any other pathological, sociological company would do.  Terrible.  That MS now owns it is not surprising, MS has never made great choices.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,363member
    Microsoft must think they are getting a huge subscriber base with a rich set of relevant metadata like connections, skills, university affiliations, corporate affiliations, etc., that they can harvest and use to push Microsoft products and services to LinkedIn members and their connections. Plus, they are getting a less fluffy and workplace friendly alternative to FaceBook. All of this may make perfect business sense but they sure are paying a steep price for a risky bet. 

• Reply 44 of 49
    sdw2001 said:
    nasserae said:
    They might have as well flushed that $26B down the toilet.
    I agree. Useless.  Linkedin is nothing but a toy.  I've never gotten anywhere with it, and I've been on it for years.  It's a site where we all get to pretend we're in some important network of professionals.   Good luck, MicroShaft.  
    It's a way for companies to screen resumes. They use it to see when you graduated to figure out how old you are. Then they can filter you out. It is a joke. But I love getting "endorsed" for my skills from people I don't even know...  :)
    pscooter63
  • Reply 45 of 49
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    I haven't seen anyone mention the fact LinkedIn recently bought Lynda.com.

• Reply 46 of 49
    rossb2rossb2 Posts: 89member
    sdw2001 said:
    I agree. Useless.  Linkedin is nothing but a toy.  I've never gotten anywhere with it, and I've been on it for years.  It's a site where we all get to pretend we're in some important network of professionals.   Good luck, MicroShaft.  
    It's a way for companies to screen resumes. They use it to see when you graduated to figure out how old you are. Then they can filter you out. It is a joke. But I love getting "endorsed" for my skills from people I don't even know...  :)
    Linked in has some use. Recruiters can use it as a way to verify your work history, as you will connect with others at your places of work. The verification of skills also has some use to recruiters, although this part is more open to abuse,as people tend to be over generous in their assessments of skills. I have never had a role directly after being on it 8 years, although i am sure recruiters will have used it to verify work history. I have at times been very frustrated by the amount of spam on the main feed. I often want to see jobs advertised on the feed, and all i get is Facebook style brain dumps, from people trying to be funny. I often think people on there have too much free time.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    Microsoft?  That's just great....not!
    Oh well, at least it wasn't Google.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Ptooey!