Apple's iOS 10 revamps lock & home screen with widgets, adds face & scene recognition to Photos

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
Two of the fundamental components of iOS -- the lock screen and home screen --?are getting a fresh look starting with iOS 10, giving users quick access to information and data with minimal interaction needed. In addition, enhancements to Photos will make it easier to find and group pictures and videos.

Apple software chief Craig Federighi unveiled Apple's next-generation mobile operating system at the Worldwide Developers Conference on Monday. Among the first features users will notice is "raise to wake," which allows an iPhone's lock screen to automatically display, without the need to press a button, when a device is picked up.

From the lock screen, Apple has given users the ability to respond to messages and receive data from apps without the need to unlock the device. Much of it ties into the pressure sensitive 3D Touch capabilities found on the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.

In one demonstration, Federighi showed how a user could quickly find the location of his or her Uber ride on a map, directly from the lock screen. In another example, a popover window allows the user to respond to texts.

Users will also be able to quickly clear all notifications from their iPhone lock screen with 3D Touch.

iOS 10 also boasts a redesigned Control Center, allowing users to swipe to the left for a special area devoted specifically to music controls.

On the lock screen, users can also slide right for quick access to the camera, while a swipe to the left brings up an all-new widget view. Here, iOS widgets present users with quick access to data.

Widgets will also be found through 3D Touch on home screen app icons as well. In one demonstration, Federighi showed VIPs and unread messages with the Mail app via a firm press. In other examples, sports scores and news were presented via a widget, while the Activity app offers the ability to quickly view daily fitness progress.

Face recognition is also coming to the Photos app with iOS 10, allowing users to quickly find their friends in pictures. Object and scene recognition is also set to be built into the operating system.

With these capabilities, photos and videos can be automatically categorized into "memories." iOS 10 can even create automatic slideshow presentations from specific memories.
karthickrex1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I've been replying to messages from the lock screen for at least a year or two lol.. mostly texts and Facebook Messenger have had that option for a while :)
    karthickrex1
  • Reply 2 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    So they’re going to bring back a feature that they had in iPhone OS 1.0? Great. Oh, wait, it doesn’t work with your iPhone’s contacts, just third party VOIP garbage. 

What is Apple even doing anymore?

karthickrex1
  • Reply 3 of 12
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    So they’re going to bring back a feature that they had in iPhone OS 1.0? Great. Oh, wait, it doesn’t work with your iPhone’s contacts, just third party VOIP garbage. 

when in iPhone OS did VOIP calls show up in your calls history list? or show up on the lockscreen identical to a native cell call? oh yeah, they didnt. ever.

what is apple doing? not trolling apple sites, unlike you. actually building tons of awesome stuff. iOS 10 looks awesome. go home, youre drunk.

edited June 2016 mike1igorskyzoetmbjay-t
  • Reply 4 of 12
    when in iPhone OS did VOIP calls show up in your calls history list? or show up on the lockscreen identical to a native cell call? oh yeah, they didnt. ever.
    Good thing I’m not talking about that, then.
    what is apple doing? not trolling apple sites, unlike you. 
    You’re nuts.

• Reply 5 of 12
    Good thing I’m not talking about that, then.
    You’re nuts.

what on earth are you talking about? you do realize the feature in your screenshot NOT the presence of a background caller photo, right? that it's bringing calls from WhatsApp (and other VOIP apps) into UX parity w/ native calls? that they now show up all over the OS identical to cell calls? you get that, right?

the only person who's nuts is the one who could have just watched the keynote, including 10 amazing new features for iOS, and then put on his Hater Hat and proclaim:

"What is Apple even doing anymore?"

....that would be you. nuts.
    roundaboutnowigorskybrucemc
  • Reply 6 of 12
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 773member

You really need some strong medicine. And stop trolling.
    nolamacguyjay-tbrucemc
  • Reply 7 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I think he's talking about how in recent versions of iOS the main Phone.app doesn't show a full screen image of the incoming call contact.

Presumably, that will also change with iOS 10.  Would be weird if third party apps had better art than Phone.app.

If he's not talking about that then I genuinely have no idea.
    edited June 2016 tallest skil
  • Reply 8 of 12
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    In iOS 1.0, certain contact photos could appear full screen when you received a phone call. That's what he's referring to. He assumes it won't work in iOS 10 for anything but third party phone calls.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 9 of 12
    nolamacguy said:
    you do realize the feature in your screenshot NOT the presence of a background caller photo, right?
    It is, however, the feature I’m talking about in my post.
    igorsky said:
    You really need some strong medicine. And stop trolling.
    People don’t seem to remember who I am anymore. Good! It’s working. Year from now it’ll be “literally who?”.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 10 of 12
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I am very excited with the inclusion of search bar in lock screen. I have been asking for this for a long time, and though their reasons to refuse implementing this were mainly security, I am glad they change their mind. I often rely on the search bar to find apps, play music, search something online or just find out the nearest coffee shop. The search bar is the most important element in my day-to-day use, so it is nice to have this accessible right from the locked screen.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 11 of 12
    simply258simply258 Posts: 133member
    crowley said:
    He's pretty awful at expressing himself.
    Damn shame. You were doing so well, and then you had to project your bullshit again. It is, however, the feature I’m talking about in my post.
    People don’t seem to remember who I am anymore. Good! It’s working. Year from now it’ll be “literally who?”.
    I'm on iOS 9 and my wife's photo shows up in full screen when she calls. I think they only show in full screen when you manually add their photos to the contacts.
    tallest skilbadmonk
  • Reply 12 of 12
    crowley said:
    He's pretty awful at expressing himself.
    Damn shame. You were doing so well, and then you had to project your bullshit again. It is, however, the feature I’m talking about in my post.
    it was obvious you were referring to the photo, but my point was your criticism was garbage because that's not what Apple is touting here -- they're touting the new UX for VOIP calls. for you to say the screenshot you posted is a v1 feature is a straw man. then to say "What is Apple even doing anymore?" is idiotic and sad trolling. 

we got you. we just think it was stupid. 
    edited June 2016 frac