Apple reveals macOS Sierra hardware compatibility list

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I also find it odd that my 2009 Macbook PRO misses out when the lower spec same year MacBook is in. ??
  • Reply 22 of 55
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Following Worldwide Developers Conference keynote on Monday, Apple posted details about the upcoming macOS Sierra release to its official webpage, noting hardware support going back to the 2009 model year.

While not yet posted to the macOS preview webpage, a slide presented by SVP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi during today's keynote reveals Sierra's hardware operating requirements. When it launches this fall, the next-generation macOS will boast compatibility with:

2009 and later

• MacBook
    • iMac

2010 and later

• MacBook Air
    • MacBook Pro
    • Mac mini
    • Mac Pro

The newly rebranded macOS comes with a host of new features, not the least of which being integration with Apple's Siri virtual assistant. Previously restricted to iOS devices, Siri on Mac is expected to shift the paradigm of voice control on desktop with support for messaging, file and web searches, Notifications, system status and much more.

Other enhancements include a new file system built for modern computer equipment, rich Messages, Photos app buffs, Apple Pay for the web and auto unlock via Apple Watch, among numerous under the hood improvements.

Apple earlier today published a similar compatibility list for iOS 10, the next-generation mobile operating system set to debut this fall. As it stands, iOS 10 can run on hardware powered by second revision A5 system-on-chip silicon, which for iPhone means iPhone 5 and newer. For iPad, Apple is extending support to A5X and newer devices, starting with iPad 2.

Developers can download both macOS Sierra and iOS 10 today, while a public beta is due for release in July.
    Thanks Apple. Both of my Mac's (2008 Mac Pro and 2008 Macbook Pro) can not use this software. I guess since no hardware updates were announced that I may have to go to a PC and use Windows 10. I will never understand a computer company that does not update their equipment on a regular basis. I am really disappointed with Apple and their lack of motivation.

Your post makes no fucking sense whatsoever. Both your Mac Pro and Macbook Pro have been updated many times since 2008. But, because they weren't arbitrarily updated again at this event (which is a software and developer event, no one expected hew hardware) you may "have to go to a PC"? What the fuck? In 8 years, you saw no reason to update your Macbook Pro even though its been updated like 8 times in that timeframe, the new models are infinitely better than yours - yet you now suddenly you "have to" switch to Windows? Please, do that and spare us your asinine, mindless trolling. 

Oh, and Apple has no obligation to support your ancient devices for its newest software, and you have no rational reason to expect it. You have gotten almost a decade of free OSX updates since your purchased your computers (8 years of updates), your sense entitlement is pathetically childish and utterly unreasonable. So please, switch to Windows 10, no doubt Microsoft and some random PC will meet your ludicrous and irrational standards. 
    williamlondonsuddenly newtonargonautradarthekatai46
  • Reply 23 of 55
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    This is pretty retarded: if they make minimum RAM requirements etc. I'm all for it.
    But the stupid anemic MBA from a couple of years ago with a lousy on-CPU Intel-GPU and 2GB soldered on, non-upgradable RAM makes the cut, but my 2007 MBP with 6GB RAM, SSD, and a decent GPU, which runs circles around that MBA, does not.

I hate randomized planned obsolescence!
    dysamoriatallest skil
  • Reply 24 of 55
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    Thanks Apple. Both of my Mac's (2008 Mac Pro and 2008 Macbook Pro) can not use this software. I guess since no hardware updates were announced that I may have to go to a PC and use Windows 10. I will never understand a computer company that does not update their equipment on a regular basis. I am really disappointed with Apple and their lack of motivation.
    You're ticked off because your EIGHT-YEAR-OLD hardware doesn't meet their requirements for the newest system upgrade? 

Ah, no you're not, that would be stupid: you're actually pissed off that they didn't release new hardware, and using this - completely unrelated - thread to vent about it. 

Expect headwinds.
    williamlondonai46
  • Reply 25 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Wow, hard to believe my ancient but much loved 2010 MBP i7 15" makes the cut.   It is amazing that Apple support such an old Mac with the latest software.  Meanwhile my nMac Pro 6 core is in the middle of installing macOS (after making a CCC clone on to an SSD I should stress).  I think I'll hold  off on the MBP for a while though!  

I am intrigued by APFS ....  
    edited June 2016 argonautai46sennen
  • Reply 26 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    cincytee said:
    Glad to see my mini (with disc drive) makes another cut.
    How long before Apple removes the software required to interface with optical drives from OS X (still calling it that)? I think it might still work with ZIP drives, and I know it still recognizes HD DVD...
    Not sure why any version of OS X or macOS would drop support for an external device.  I can still hook up the most ancient equipment with the right 'whatever to USB' adapter when needed.  You could be correct I suppose but I suspect we'll be OK for a while to come.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 27 of 55
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    rcfa said:
    This is pretty retarded: if they make minimum RAM requirements etc. I'm all for it.
    But the stupid anemic MBA from a couple of years ago with a lousy on-CPU Intel-GPU and 2GB soldered on, non-upgradable RAM makes the cut, but my 2007 MBP with 6GB RAM, SSD, and a decent GPU, which runs circles around that MBA, does not.

I hate randomized planned obsolescence!
    Because you _know_ all of the technical details right?  You know exactly how the new Auto Unlock feature works under-the-hood and what hardware support it requires to perform secure, wireless unlocking.  And you know for sure that your 2007 MBP has that hardware in it.  Same thing with Safari Apple Pay and Universal Clipboard (which are likely built on that same technology).  There's a lot more than just CPU/GPU/RAM being utilized for new OS features.

But perhaps you don't care about those features and believe that Apple should have spent time writing code to detect what hardware you have in your Mac, determine whether it supports those features or not, and disable them in cases where it can't be supported.  Then spent time writing more code to ensure all the apps which rely on those features do the same detection and handling.  Then wrote customer support documentation to ensure that people who try to use those features on incompatible Macs can figure out why they aren't working.  And also trained customer support staff to handle all of the customers who can't be bothered to read the documentation and call/walk in to complain about things.  And even if Apple did all of that, you'd be complaining that they didn't add enough new features for you (because they spent all of those resources on trying to ensure backwards compatibility for the other features).

edited June 2016 radarthekatsennen
  • Reply 28 of 55
    boriscletoboriscleto Posts: 159member
    Looks like I'm finally going to have to replace my early-2009 mini...
  • Reply 29 of 55
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I think they'd like you to buy a new Mac. I'm actually impressed that my nearly 6 year old 2011 MacBook Pro is still supported!

---

I wasn't expecting my late-2010 13" MacBook Air to make the cut. Maybe I'll squeeze one more year out of it.  
  • Reply 30 of 55
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    PTM said:
    Are you sure this is correct? A 2009 or newer MacBook is compatible but only 2010 or newer MacBook Pros are? Seems backward since the pro is a faster model.

---

When was the old MacBook discontinued?  If it was prior to 2009, then I suspect Apple's list is merely using a shorthand grouping.  By saying 2009 and later, for the MacBook that would imply just the new 2015 and 2016 models reintroduced under that name.  Confusing?  Yes.  Incorrect?  No.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    jumpcutter said:
    I will never understand a computer company that does not update their equipment on a regular basis.
    You’re going to be told to buy stuff that is out now.
    no, we'd just tell you that the equipment you bought is going to continue to work the way you bought it. why would you expect it to get the latest & greatest for all time? are you new to computers?
    TurboPGTspheric
  • Reply 32 of 55
    I've looked at some developer threads discussing the compatibility issue and there's at least a possibility that having a newer GPU and flashing the firmware on a 2009 unsupported Mac to 5,1 could potentially allow Sierra to run. Apparently the 5,1 firmware change is easy to do and not that risky, as you can change it back to the 4,1 firmware.
    edited June 2016 docno42
  • Reply 33 of 55
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    PTM said:
    Are you sure this is correct? A 2009 or newer MacBook is compatible but only 2010 or newer MacBook Pros are? Seems backward since the pro is a faster model.
    It's a Late 2009 Unibody MacBook that is compatible - released October 2009.

The MacBook pro previous to the 2010s were Mid 2009 models - released June 2009.

There must be some subtle hardware or firmware requirements that pop up after the summer.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 34 of 55
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    I think they'd like you to buy a new Mac. I'm actually impressed that my nearly 6 year old 2011 MacBook Pro is still supported!
    And if Apple offered a Pro machine that let me have choice on my GPU I'd be happy to buy one! 

How about innovating a slot in there, Schiller?!?  

Normally I defend criticism of style over substance when aimed at Apple, but what they are doing with desktop computers is beyond ridiculous.  The vast majority of desktops offered by Apple are designed around laptop parts in order to keep "thin" happening.  Who the ^@#$^ cares about thickness on a desktop computer?!?  

And a pro machine without at least one slot for a GPU?  I guess it's time to score a 2010+ Mac Pro off of Craigslist/eBay or just give up and build a hackentosh.  Utterly ridiculous that the company that popularized the graphical desktop interface on personal computers has THE WORST offerings for hardware GPU support.  

Utterly shameful :angry: 
    dysamoriajumpcutter
  • Reply 35 of 55
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    I've looked at some developer threads discussing the compatibility issue and there's at least a possibility that having a newer GPU and flashing the firmware on a 2009 unsupported Mac to 5,1 could potentially allow Sierra to run. Apparently the 5,1 firmware change is easy to do and not that risky, as you can change it back to the 4,1 firmware.
    Yeah, it will probably be pretty easy to get around so I'm not overly concerned, just annoyed. 

What's doubly frustrating is you can use most PC graphics cards in OS X now without having to flash the firmware on them.  It's never been easier to use powerful GPUs with OSX; but there are no currently produced Mac Pro's with slots to let you use 'em.  Nucking Futs!
  • Reply 36 of 55
    philotechphilotech Posts: 106member
    The article incorrectly states '2009 or later' iMacs and MacBooks. It's actually 'Late 2009 or newer' iMacs and MacBooks that are required.

i have an 'Early 2009' white MacBook and a 'Mid 2009' 20" aluminium iMac and neither of these make the grade - El Cap is the end of the road for these two.... 

2009 and later means the same thing as 2009 and newer. Later doesn't mean older, it means they were released later in time.
    I don't think skywillmott was taking offence at the wording later vs. newer, but at the fact that eraly 2009 iMacs and early/mid 2009 MacBooks are not supported by macOS Sierra, and hence the statement in the article is not quite correct.
    docno42
  • Reply 37 of 55
    slurpy said:
    jumpcutter said:

Your post makes no fucking sense whatsoever. Both your Mac Pro and Macbook Pro have been updated many times since 2008. But, because they weren't arbitrarily updated again at this event (which is a software and developer event, no one expected hew hardware) you may "have to go to a PC"? What the fuck? In 8 years, you saw no reason to update your Macbook Pro even though its been updated like 8 times in that timeframe, the new models are infinitely better than yours - yet you now suddenly you "have to" switch to Windows? Please, do that and spare us your asinine, mindless trolling. 

Oh, and Apple has no obligation to support your ancient devices for its newest software, and you have no rational reason to expect it. You have gotten almost a decade of free OSX updates since your purchased your computers (8 years of updates), your sense entitlement is pathetically childish and utterly unreasonable. So please, switch to Windows 10, no doubt Microsoft and some random PC will meet your ludicrous and irrational standards. 
    I don't believe for a second his story that he was holding off switching to a new Windows 10 PC because of the prospect of running Sierra on an 8-year-old Mac. Why is upgrading to a new Mac to run Sierra off the table as an option?
    docno42
  • Reply 38 of 55
    My Mid-2007 iMac is finally getting cut from the team - It was a good run buddy...
    sennen
  • Reply 39 of 55
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    The article incorrectly states '2009 or later' iMacs and MacBooks. It's actually 'Late 2009 or newer' iMacs and MacBooks that are required.

i have an 'Early 2009' white MacBook and a 'Mid 2009' 20" aluminium iMac and neither of these make the grade - El Cap is the end of the road for these two.... 
    I remember when OS X went full 64 bit and some older Macs could not be upgraded past Lion. At least back then they explained the reason. Some 32 bit kernel files, video drivers, or kext files or whatever. Does anyone know what is causing this new incompatibility?

• Reply 40 of 55
    jumpcutterjumpcutter Posts: 100member
    slurpy said:

Hardware has been announced on WWDC before. 2013 Mac Pro for example. Why are you getting so fucking worked up over my asinine and mindless trolling. I have not gotten almost a decade of 'free" OS X updates.  Apple stopped charging for it's OS updates only 2 to 3 years ago. You are correct, Apple has no obligation to support my "ancient" devices but they had been until this update. So why now? and since it is now! Why?  Should I buy a new Mac!  I see nothing innovative from Apple's computer line up. Apple wants it's mobile devices to lead the way...pushing a smartwatch and the phone so it can work together quickly when it really does not. What a joke.