iOS 10 warns users when opening legacy apps not encoded in 64-bit

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    sflocal said:
    sounds like Apple attempting to "shame" developers.
    As well they should.  I'm a software engineer and it just irritates me when I have to deal with other vendors that sell software, but don't maintain it.  Reasons aside, if you're in the business, don't let your products rot on the vine while continuing to sell it.  It's laziness.
    I wonder if that's the thought process George Lucas had?
  • Reply 22 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This is beta software and there is no evidence that the pop-up will appear in the final version of iOS 10. No one besides developers should be running this software on any device at this point. There's always the possibility it may brick the device.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 23 of 23
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    There seems to be some confusuon. This doesn't mean the 32bit App will no longer run. If you have 32bit and 64bit Apps running then iOS will need to keep additional resources for both in memory. This is where the performance hit comes from. If everything is 64bit, then there's no need to have any 32bit resources running.
    Is that any different from the way iOS9 handles things?  Or are they just warning you of a situation that has existed for a year or two?

Given that this is a developer beta... it could just be a warning to those beta testing that performance may degrade - in other words, do not file a "bug" report if you notice that happening.

Or yes, they may have made some optimizations to the system that allowed it to perform much better if and only if it's completely in 64-bit "mode". And as the other poster mentioned, when executing 32-bit binaries, additional things need to be loaded that may very well affect overall system performance and Apple is now making sure users understand what's happening.