Inside iOS 10: 'Raise to Wake' requires iPhone 6s, iPhone SE, or iPhone 7

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    I think Slide to unlock feature was unique for iPhone. It has a nostalgic value. Replacing it with camera and notifications is a moving forward action but I wish Apple could have made it possible to adjust under settings.

I was very disappointed that Raise to wake feature is unique to M9 chip, I am a iPhone 6 user. First I thought that, this new feature would help to decrease number of presses to home button but I realised that users have to push home button to unlock anyway. For me it is a nice addition to new iPhones but I don't think it is essential to every user. I have been using my phone for almost two years and I am not convinced to change it because of new features unique to new phones such as 3D Touch and Raise to wake. I will skip iPhone 7 and wait for the next version.

If there are other people think like me, I think it makes sense for Apple to make major design changes every three years.
    as an iPhone 6S user, the 2nd gen touchID sensor is so fast I rarely see the homescreen. Often all I want to do it check my notifications without unlocking the phone, I've had to develop a way of pressing the home button with my thumbnail so it doesn't get enough of a thumbprint to unlock. Not worth upgrading for in and of itself but very welcome improvement for those of us who have upgraded already.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    adm1 said:

I've had to develop a way of pressing the home button with my thumbnail so it doesn't get enough of a thumbprint to unlock. 
    You can use the sleep/wake button instead
    argonautmike1fastasleepbaconstang
  • Reply 23 of 38
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,046member
    crowley said:
    adm1 said:

I've had to develop a way of pressing the home button with my thumbnail so it doesn't get enough of a thumbprint to unlock. 
    Or not register a finger that you don't want it to unlock with.
    crowleydysamoriafastasleepbaconstang
  • Reply 24 of 38
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    linkman said:
    crowley said:
    Or not register a finger that you don't want it to unlock with.
    Ha! Didn't even think of that, yet so obvious!
  • Reply 25 of 38
    I absolutely HATE this feature and have already disabled it. I don't want my damn phone to turn on every time I touch it. Its way too sensitive. It will turn on just by me picking the phone up off my desk and putting it in my pocket. Or, if its on my nightstand or desk and bump it, the damn phone turns on. 
    edited September 2016 dysamoriabaconstang
  • Reply 26 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    I love my Apple hardware, but I'm getting really, really, REALLY sick of Apple's ridiculous greed.  This is only their latest example.  Anything they can do to keep filling their already overflowing pocketbooks.  I'm becoming quite disgusted with Apple.  QUITE DISGUSTED.
    I suspect you are just bitter that your Galaxy 7 exploded.
    mrboba1williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Such a handy feature for me personally. my 6S recognises my thumb and unlocks far too quick to even attempt to read a notification. I've had to develop a method of pressing the home button with my nail so I can just see the notification and not unlock it. Now I just lift my phone and it turns on without unlocking. Note: by default you still have to PRESS the home button to unlock but if you go into settings>accessibility there is a setting to unlock with just a touch instead.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    macxpress said:
    I absolutely HATE this feature and have already disabled it. I don't want my damn phone to turn on every time I touch it. Its way too sensitive. It will turn on just by me picking the phone up off my desk and putting it in my pocket. Or, if its on my nightstand or desk and bump it, the damn phone turns on. 
    See that? That's where you could have stopped talking. 
    edited September 2016 williamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Gymkhana said:
    JaiOh81 said:
    Gymkhana said:
    Um, considering Apple can't even figure out how to prevent pocket dialing, which is a huge P.I.T.A. on my 6 plus, I would guess they haven't a clue how to detect that it's in my pocket.
    How does you phone bypass the lock screen to pocket dial?
    Because since the rocket scientists at Apple decided to place the power button directly opposite the volume buttons, a one-handed attempt to lock the phone while slipping it into my pocket often fails, causing the volume to change instead of powering off.  This design fail was introduced with the iPhone 6 series, which is using the new regime's leadership, and not the engineering stewardship of Steve Jobs, who likely would have prevented such a screwup in engineering and ergonomics.  So, now I have to deal with the "you're holding it wrong" crowd, like with antenna-gate, the folks who will insist that the user is doing something wrong, instead of pointing the finger at the company that is the self-proclaimed "leader" with user friendly and ergonomic products.  My entire technology stack is Apple products, so I'm hardly an Apple hater, but I believe in holding Apple up to the standard set by Steve Jobs, which clearly isn't the same Apple today.
    ROFL!

And they say satire is dead. 
    williamlondonfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 38
    I love my Apple hardware, but I'm getting really, really, REALLY sick of Apple's ridiculous greed.  This is only their latest example.  Anything they can do to keep filling their already overflowing pocketbooks.  I'm becoming quite disgusted with Apple.  QUITE DISGUSTED.
    Buy 100 shares of AAPL and you'll find yourself respecting Apple's attention to profit
    fastasleep
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Gymkhana said:
    why- said:
    2oh1 said:
    I'm curious how Raise To Wake will know when an iPhone is being raised for use and when it's being raised because it's in someone's pocket and he or she stands up.

my guess is it would use the ambient light sensor to detect the fact that it's in your pocket
    Um, considering Apple can't even figure out how to prevent pocket dialing, which is a huge P.I.T.A. on my 6 plus, I would guess they haven't a clue how to detect that it's in my pocket.
    Or you could click the power button before putting it in your pocket. Or is your hand in your pocket busy doing something else?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 32 of 38
    macxpress said:
    I just tried all of that and couldn't reproduce what you have experienced, except picking it up at the angle where you would associate with looking at it. I hit my phone, slid it across my desk, spun it around, nothing. Is there a sensitivity setting? I haven't looked.

Now, when I bump my nightstand, my watch lights up with the time, but that, I actually want to happen.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 38
    This still seems somewhat arbitrary in how they're supporting devices with new features...

Also: the person complaining that the power/sleep/wake button being opposite the volume controls is a problem is CORRECT. This has annoyed me daily since "upgrading" from my iPhone 4 to iPhone 6s.

Rise to wake is not something I want. I'm content Apple allows us to disable it. With the way this new phone of mine blows through battery charges, I'm not eager to use many "new features" that might make the problem worse.
    baconstang
  • Reply 34 of 38
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    dysamoria said:
    This still seems somewhat arbitrary in how they're supporting devices with new features...

Also: the person complaining that the power/sleep/wake button being opposite the volume controls is a problem is CORRECT. This has annoyed me daily since "upgrading" from my iPhone 4 to iPhone 6s.

Rise to wake is not something I want. I'm content Apple allows us to disable it. With the way this new phone of mine blows through battery charges, I'm not eager to use many "new features" that might make the problem worse.
    Every phone I've ever used has had annoyances large and small. 
    I'm wondering just what you are doing to blow through multiple charges? per day?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 38
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    There's been zero talk about the M10
    processor. What has improved?

P.S. I want one of these in the Apple TV remote.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Raise to wake doesn't stay on for long enough. Barely 2 seconds. Should be more like 8.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    Rise to wake is just one of the steps Apple is making the last few years to a near bezeless phone:

1. Solid state button on iPhone7
    2. Force touch on iPhone6s
    3. Taptic Engine
    4. Raise to wake on iOS 10
    5. Removal of head phone jack to make more space 
    6. Hey Siri

A Virtual Home Button is coming.....

Where does the front-facing camera go?