NASA's tvOS app brings live HD video, photos and more to Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2016
NASA on Wednesday added a tvOS app to its growing stable of digital media properties, bringing high-definition video streams, satellite and telescope imagery, mission updates and more to the living room.

Developed at NASA's Ames Research Center in California, the new app provides big screen access to the administration's vast catalog of digitized content, including on-demand video streaming, NASA Television satellite tracking and more than 15,000 images.

Alongside internet streams of NASA public television and select educational programming is a multimedia module with hooks into a live Ustream feed broadcasting from the International Space Station. Although it sometimes suffers temporary signal loss, the "ISS HD Earth Viewing Experiment" on Apple TV is the closest many of us will get to viewing our planet from an orbiting space station.

The included image gallery is equally impressive, with stunning photos of the galaxy and views of Earth taken from above and below the clouds. NASA regularly updates its collection, adding one or two quality shots every day. A separate Earth as Art gallery runs through a slideshow of high-resolution photos depicting unique land formations.

NASA also includes a location-aware tool for calculating ISS flyover times and locations, making it easy for users to plan their next space station sighting. Other app features include 2D and 3D tracking maps for orbiting satellites, information about current and future missions and access to the "Third Rock" internet radio station (currently playing: "Black Sun" by Death Cab for Cutie).

NASA's Apple TV app is available as a free download from the tvOS App Store. Content can also be viewed on iPhone and iPad with NASA's iOS app version.
lolliver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This is music to my eyes. My local cable provider, Charter Spectrum, dropped the Nasa channel some time ago in favor of some idiotic millennial shit-for-brains tripe. Now I’ve got it back! Eureka!
    minicoffeelolliverpscooter63lostkiwispacekiddavenjbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Even tho NASA provides their tv channel as a free public educational service, many cable providers place it on a paid tier, including mine. Way to go NASA for getting around that ridiculous pay wall.
    lolliverlostkiwispacekidjbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 9
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 183member
    Great! Much easier than streaming my iPhone to the AppleTV.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    That's some nice CGI.

Do you have any idea how expensive and wasteful of resources it would be to provide this kind of imagery if it were real? It wouldn't be a Free App, that I can promise you.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    TurboPGT said:
    That's some nice CGI.

Do you have any idea how expensive and wasteful of resources it would be to provide this kind of imagery if it were real? It wouldn't be a Free App, that I can promise you.
    Do you think that this is free? It is just an example of your tax dollars at work.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 9
    smirksmirk Posts: 12member
    2old4fun said:
    TurboPGT said:
    That's some nice CGI.

Do you think that this is free? It is just an example of your tax dollars at work.
    I think TurboPGT is saying that the moon landing never occurred and all the NASA imagery is faked...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    smirk said:
    2old4fun said:
    I think TurboPGT is saying that the moon landing never occurred and all the NASA imagery is faked...
    So he's one of these crazy's!!!! Maybe he should watch Mythbustrers. They took on some of these crazy people's claims!!! Even today you can still prove it. There are Reflectors placed on the moon when the astronauts landed so that a laser on earth can measure the Distance to the moon.
    minicoffee
  • Reply 8 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jbdragon said:
    There are Reflectors placed on the moon
    You can’t use the reflectors as an argument against them because they could just as easily have been put there by unmanned probes.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    TurboPGT said:
    That's some nice CGI.

Yawn.