Rumor: Apple developing power-efficient micro-LED panels for 2017 Apple Watch

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    flaneur said:
    One would assume just sticking new CPUs or GPUs in to the Mac Pro shell wouldn't be that difficult or consume a lot of resources. So if these parts are available why wouldn't a Apple just do one of their silent updates?
    I wouldn't assume "just sticking" is part of Apple's MO.
    Innumerable instances exist of exactly that.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    The Mac Pro hasn't been Apple's fault. If you knew the technical issues at hand, you'd be hard pressed to decide when to update it too. 
    Bull. A company Apple's size and resources needs years to work it out? Not a chance. I have loved Apple, but we need to call a spade spade. They are consistently dropping the ball on the Mac business and now the iPhone business too by going to a 3-yr upgrade cycle. If they release one stinker or mediocre update with that kind of interval it would sink the product line. 
    WE? Who is we? Try speaking for yourself. You have no comprehension of what is involved or the state of the technology and what manufacturing roadblocks are once the tech is up to par. Early adoption was over a long time ago. A significant hardware upgrade would bring in a lot of new buyers and probably get most 1st generation buyers to upgrade. I find it hard to believe at this point in the hardware's lifecycle Apple would hold back on a major upgrade that was ready. Why don't you reach out to Apple and let them know you'll be in Cupertino Monday with instructions on how they can fix all their problems. I'm sure management and shareholders will be eternally grateful. I almost forgot ... what exactly is a "spade spade"?
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 43 of 45
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    levi said:
    I think this is bull. I highly doubt we'll see a new Watch every year. If Apple is planning to make this change next year then I doubt we'll see a new Watch this year.
    Why would Apple leave money on the table? Let competitors catch up or surpass them? The wearable market is just getting started, and is projected to explode in the next 3-5 years. I suspect we'll see annual or near annual upgrades going forward. 
    News update for you: competitors are already ahead of Apple...
    jackansi
  • Reply 44 of 45
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    blitz1 said:
    levi said:
    Why would Apple leave money on the table? Let competitors catch up or surpass them? The wearable market is just getting started, and is projected to explode in the next 3-5 years. I suspect we'll see annual or near annual upgrades going forward. 
    News update for you: competitors are already ahead of Apple...
    Huh? In what way? Please spare me your shit assessment buddy.

If they put true tone in the Iphone (which seems to be the case), they;ll be ahead on screen.
    The actual resolution of the Samsung screen once you factor in that is pentile is barely more than 6s+ and the GPU is slower.
    Nobody does 3d touch.
    They've still have the fastest SOC
    They're the only ones using something as though as AL 7000 for their body
    Better security on phone than anyone.
    Tight integration of SOC to OS means the OS is much smoother than the competion.
    TOuch ID is still the fastest and has the highest accuracy.
    It has the biggest top end storage AND the fastest storage subystem.
    The Soc doesn't throttle which means you the top performance until the battery runs out.
    It has better video and has a quicker camera.
    Better battery life than most of the rest of the industry in the 6s+ (The 6s is much smaller but still has decent battery life).
    ---
    The only two real advantage of Samsung
    - Better camera in when you have time to set up the shot.
    - Better weather proofing..

• Reply 45 of 45
    Herbivore2Herbivore2 Posts: 367member
    Apple is going to have a hard time bringing micro LED online. Samsung and LG have invested huge resources into OLED which are just now paying off. Micro LED will have to overcome some major hurdles and even then, the Korean Chaebols are not standing still. The cost and performance of OLED will continue to improve. 

It's understandable that Apple would want to manufacture all of its own hardware and avoid supporting their rivals. In the case of panels, it's not going to happen. Not with the Koreans owning the high end of the display market. It would be like Apple getting into the CPU fabrication business. 

Even more than display panels, it would be nice to see Apple upgrade their optics. Samsung's are better. 

Apple also needs to keep the Mac Pro at the cutting edge. While I do think the future is in wearables and mobile, the A series chips have a long way to go in being able to compete with the Xeon not to mention high end discrete graphics cards. 

Investing in keeping the Mac Pro at the cutting edge is far better than investing in micro LED. 

For all of the talk on quantum dot, it's OLED panels that are taking the market.