Huawei caught using DSLR photo to promote dual-lens smartphone camera

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,106member
    hucom2000 said:
    Now before the Nikon and Canon kids start to go after each other, let's remember that DSLR was a very wide field. Before good-quality compact camera started mixing up the market, and mirror-less systems shook things up, your typical DSLR camera was a $200-$500 bundle, with a lens thrown after you for free. In these discussions people refer to expensive high-end systems, but that's not what the average Joe bought and calls a DSLR. 
    dSLR = Digital Single Lens Reflex.  It's not a mirrorless and it's not a point-and-click.  The average-joe is not much brighter than a pile of dirt.  When articles are discussed about comparing cameras in smartphones with a "real" dSLR, I expect they are referring to a full-frame, dSLR and not some low-end, cropped-sensor dSLR that one buys at Costco.

• Reply 42 of 53
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

Wow that iKnockoff is too unique! /s

Speaking of Canon, that's been a company I've wanted Apple to acquire for some time. Amazing tech, focused in image clarity and they even have TV patents that would destroy OLED.

gatorguy said:
    igorsky said:
    Interesting that the blogosphere isn't awash in the venom that would be spewed towards Apple had it been caught doing something this sleazy.
    Had Apple done this it would have been closer to "sleazy". For a Chinese company on the other hand it's not all that unusual IMHO. All's fair in marketing seems to be the case with many of them. 

Of course it would be "sleazier" if Apple did it. Anyone else and the media turns away.

TurboPGT said:
    It's hard to stand by the notion that they intentionally tried to deceive anyone, by uploading a photo contains all EXIF data. Obviously it was a mistake / misunderstanding.
    Oh it was a mistake alright!
    We've seen worse like all those "tweeted from my iPhone" posts including one from BLACKBERRY themselves!!
    edited July 2016 magman1979Beats
  • Reply 43 of 53
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,106member

sockrolid said:

melgross said:
    But, sigh, even my 6+ now takes sharper pictures, and the difference in noise and density range isn't that different.
    I thought about doing only iPhoneography and not replacing my ancient DSLR ('05 Nikon D70).
    But the DSLR experience gives you vastly better ergonomics, creative control, and instant responsiveness.
    And I do have a fair number of full-frame autofocus Nikon lenses from when I used to shoot 35mm film.

I'm not a pro photographer, so ultimate image sharpness is less important than ergonomics, creative control, and performance.
    There are so many situations that an iPhone (or any smartphone) camera simply can't handle adequately.

I'm not a "pro" photographer, but I do tons of underwater photography with my Canon 5DM3 and I just recently started doing weddings, and lots of portrait photography.  I consider myself a "professional enthusiast"  My iP6+ camera is incredible for the shots it takes where "professionalism and quality" is not absolute, and more akin for social media.  

However, let's not sugar-coat things.  No matter how amazing smartphone camera technology is, and assuming full-frame camera technology continues to be developed, smartphone cameras will NEVER reach the same level as dSLR's in the same generation.  NEVER.  It's simple physics.  An eraser-head size sensor in a smartphone just cannot compete with a 35mm sensor.  To even remotely imply by any manufacturer that it can is just pure bullshit.

I will say though that current smartphone camera of today can most likely best SLR photos from say 7-10 years ago, but certainly nowhere near the same as current-gen cameras from Nikon and Canon.  It's a joke to even begin that debate.

That being said, I'm too seriously looking forward to what Canon has for the 5DM4.  I'm looking for a 2nd dSLR camera to complement my 5DM3 and that was is just the ticket.

I have the same 5DM3 and 70-200 f/2.8 lens that was used for the Huawei ad.  I immediately noticed that this photo could nowhere have been taken by a smartphone camera.  It's just shameful that companies like Huawei try to pull crap like that.  I'd love for the employee that took the picture and/or the web/graphic artist that made the advertisement to come forward and say "yeah, here are the emails from my boss that ordered me to lie to the public.".  It'll never happen, but it is wishful thinking.
    edited July 2016 Deelronargonaut
  • Reply 44 of 53
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    volcan said:
    melgross said:
    Yeah, those cameras were great for their day. But as far as most specs go, the best smartphone cameras have caught up, and are definitely sharper. 
    Sure but you can't really put high quality glass on a smartphone. There is still a lot a photographer can do with shutter speed, ISO, f-stop, and focal length that can't really be achieved with a smartphone, but for point and shoot an iPhone is really good, and of course it takes video which those original DLSRs did not.
    Until there a 1" sensor on a smartphone with a nice large lens to bring in a lot more light, no smartphone is going to match the quality of a DSLR.  You can't do it with a tiny sensor and a tiny lens.  You know what?.  That's all right for most people!!! 
  • Reply 45 of 53
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    melgross said:
    Great points. Even though phones can take pretty good pictures now, I don't think they will ever come remotely close to the quality of a full frame DSLR. That would be so awesome if Apple added RAW support. I actually use my iPhone exclusively for panorama shots. It would be nice to have RAW files of my panoramas. 
    iPhones definitely take the best panoramic photos in the entire smartphone industry. There is no real doubt of that. In fact, I'd venture to say that it's rare when even using a "real" camera, and software, you can equal Apple's algorithms. They just really are the best.

My friend Lloyd just added, on his site, a series of panoramic photos taken with his 6S+, I think it is. He's a professional in every way of the word. It's a worthwhile place to go, even if you don't pay for the restricted testing and other articles.

See the ones at the top, and then scroll down past some other articles, and you'll find the ones from last week too.

http://diglloyd.com/index.html
    I agree. That's why I exclusively use my iPhone 6S+ for panoramas. It's amazing what Apple has done. I used to just pan and take multiple pictures on my DSLR and use Canon PhotoStitch to create panoramas. I think the iPhone does a much better job compared to PhotoStitch or even using PS to stitch photos together. I did some comparison shots during a trip up to the Canadian Rockies last summer and I actually thought the panoramas I took from my iPhone came out better than the photos I stitched together from my DSLR. 

Thanks for the link. Those are some good panoramas. Funny I have a really similar panorama of a fire near the location your buddy Lloyd took his fire panorama. I was up in Tioga Pass last summer during the Walker Fire. 
  • Reply 46 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,578member
    melgross said:
    iPhones definitely take the best panoramic photos in the entire smartphone industry. There is no real doubt of that. In fact, I'd venture to say that it's rare when even using a "real" camera, and software, you can equal Apple's algorithms. They just really are the best.

My friend Lloyd just added, on his site, a series of panoramic photos taken with his 6S+, I think it is. He's a professional in every way of the word. It's a worthwhile place to go, even if you don't pay for the restricted testing and other articles.

See the ones at the top, and then scroll down past some other articles, and you'll find the ones from last week too.

http://diglloyd.com/index.html
    I agree. That's why I exclusively use my iPhone 6S+ for panoramas. It's amazing what Apple has done. I used to just pan and take multiple pictures on my DSLR and use Canon PhotoStitch to create panoramas. I think the iPhone does a much better job compared to PhotoStitch or even using PS to stitch photos together. I did some comparison shots during a trip up to the Canadian Rockies last summer and I actually thought the panoramas I took from my iPhone came out better than the photos I stitched together from my DSLR. 

Thanks for the link. Those are some good panoramas. Funny I have a really similar panorama of a fire near the location your buddy Lloyd took his fire panorama. I was up in Tioga Pass last summer during the Walker Fire. 
    He's up there all the time.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,153member
    ...why I miss my purist OM-1, Zuiko lenses, and predictable film...
  • Reply 48 of 53
    wood1208 said:
    Unfortunately, for Chinese companies, corporate ethics or governance is not in their dictionary. Steal,copy,make cheap and sell cheap, deceive, whatever methods necessary to make money.
    I've worked with Chinese factories. They will sell your shirt off your back if it can make them and extra .1% and they have no conscience about it.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    There's so much photographic misinformation in this thread I don't even know where to begin. That said... Damn if the Chinese don't appear to be a magnificent bunch of liars. 
  • Reply 50 of 53
    ...why I miss my purist OM-1, Zuiko lenses, and predictable film...
    You mean, unpredictable film. Digital cameras, even the new batch of smartphones cameras are much more predictable than film ever was.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    There's so much photographic misinformation in this thread I don't even know where to begin. That said... Damn if the Chinese don't appear to be a magnificent bunch of liars. 
    Gee, what a generalized, and useless statement! What info is misinformed? 
  • Reply 52 of 53
    HunlonHunlon Posts: 1member
    They certainly were caught red handed.  But the image posted is hardly an example of a high quality DSLR image.  It is only 2.66 megapixels.  It is an image that could have been taken from a large number of camera/lens combinations provided they could match the depth of field.  It is, however, not likely to be taken from a phone because the focal length/aperture combinations are limited but I would be happy to be proven wrong.  Phones can and do produce excellent images in the hands of skilled photographers.

Huawei did themselves a disservice by pulling this prank.  They should have just handed the phone to the photographer who was doing the shoot and asked him/her to produce a publishable image.  Isn't that what Apple does with their images?
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 53 of 53
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Hunlon said:
    They certainly were caught red handed.  But the image posted is hardly an example of a high quality DSLR image.  It is only 2.66 megapixels.  It is an image that could have been taken from a large number of camera/lens combinations provided they could match the depth of field.  It is, however, not likely to be taken from a phone because the focal length/aperture combinations are limited but I would be happy to be proven wrong.  Phones can and do produce excellent images in the hands of skilled photographers.

Huawei did themselves a disservice by pulling this prank.  They should have just handed the phone to the photographer who was doing the shoot and asked him/her to produce a publishable image.  Isn't that what Apple does with their images?
    I'm not sure if you mean to say that the image wasn't taken on a high quality DSLR or that it needn't have been. The metadata to the side makes it clear that it was taken on a full-frame Canon 5D Mark III ($2250) plus a nice lens ($2000, both B&H prices). It's clearly been downsampled, but it was definitely taken with excellent equipment. It could have been taken with cheaper equipment by a good photographer, but not by any smartphone camera we have available now, I think.
    edited July 2016