Apple Q3 likely to disappoint in wake of Brexit, slower iPhone upgrade cycles, analyst says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Not like Brexit had any impact on last quarter apples sales, not like consumer stop buying waiting to see the outcome. Hell even the book makes in the UK got it wrong no one worried about it until after the vote.

On a similar note, since Ireland will leave with Britain that means Apple's deal with the Irish will no long be under the scrutiny of the idiots on Brussels. 

ration al
  • Reply 22 of 33
    delreyjonesdelreyjones Posts: 335member
    maestro64 said:

On a similar note, since Ireland will leave with Britain that means Apple's deal with the Irish will no long be under the scrutiny of the idiots on Brussels. 

You know that Ireland and the UK are different countries, right?  Ireland is not leaving the EU.  There's a chance that North Ireland (which is part of the UK), will stay with the UK and therefore leave the EU.  But there's also a chance that North Ireland will leave the UK and remain in the EU.  Either way, the Irish will still be scrutinized by the good people of Brussels.
    gwydionfastasleep
  • Reply 23 of 33
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Forget Brexit what are the major changes coming to this phone that would make people really want to upgrade? It's going to look almost like the 6/6S so to many it will seem like the same phone.
    Well you do get to buy new headphones...
    Not me. My 6S works just fine.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,924member
    What Brexit has to do with someone in UK wants to buy iphone ? Not like imposing import embargo on iphones into Britain.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    delreyjonesdelreyjones Posts: 335member
    wood1208 said:
    What Brexit has to do with someone in UK wants to buy iphone ? Not like imposing import embargo on iphones into Britain.
    The exchange rate.  The value of the British pound dropped 10%-15% on the Brexit news.  This made iPhones that much more expensive for everybody in the UK.  Not good news if you want to sell iPhones to Britons.  
  • Reply 26 of 33
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    Apple's 3rd quarter ended June 30th.  Brexit happened June 23 - is this analyst serious??  Even if all of Britain suddenly stopped purchasing iPhones the day after Brexit was announced it would be a rounding error on any numbers Apple will report.   Just more manipulative analysts trying to swing sentiment.
    ration alfastasleeppalomine
  • Reply 27 of 33
    macxpress said:
    I don't really get how Brexit could have a huge negative effect on Apple sales...Does Britain really have that many sales to have a negative effect on Apple's bottomline? Are people from other countries all of a sudden not buying Apple products because of this? I just can't connect the dots. Maybe someone here can. 

I'm guessing it wouldn't have such an impact, especially so late in the quarter but the UK is such a massive part of Europe (UK, Germany, France make up about 2/3 of most European markets) that in theory it could. Most importantly though, no one buys Apple on the mainland so I would guess that the UK would make up at least half or more of Apple's European sales. If the currency tanks, people will start looking at Android instead.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    stoobsstoobs Posts: 40member
    crowley said:
    stoobs said:
    Wouldn't a weaker pound actually be better for Apple?

Why?  Apple don't buy anything from the UK, they sell here, and they haven't put their prices up.  

Apple are making around 2% less revenue on daily sales in the UK than they were two weeks ago.  And they may well be selling less too as consumers are wary of spending.
    Surely if the prices remain where they are, it means that Apple is actually earning more per phone due to a more beneficial exchange rate, and that wages etc are all relatively lower costs at the moment? The only thing which would offset that would be if there were lower sales. Even then I think there will be enough people with enough money to keep buying iPhones etc.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    maestro64 said:

Not like Brexit had any impact on last quarter apples sales, not like consumer stop buying waiting to see the outcome. Hell even the book makes in the UK got it wrong no one worried about it until after the vote.

The ones leaving are Northern Ireland, not Ireland. And a plausible (buit with low probability) scenario is Northern Ireland joining Ireland
  • Reply 30 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    stoobs said:
    crowley said:
    Why?  Apple don't buy anything from the UK, they sell here, and they haven't put their prices up.  

Apple are making around 2% less revenue on daily sales in the UK than they were two weeks ago.  And they may well be selling less too as consumers are wary of spending.
    Surely if the prices remain where they are, it means that Apple is actually earning more per phone due to a more beneficial exchange rate
    Hmm?

2 weeks ago, the exchange rate was about $1.45/£, now it's $1.30/£.  So an iPhone which sells for £500 two weeks ago earnt Apple $745 in revenue, and now only earns them $650.  Yes, wages and other costs will be lower too, once the exchange rate is applied, but that's all proportionate.  Everything is reduced in proportion, and that'll include profits.  If Apple earns £100 per iPhone sold in the UK, then two weeks ago that was $145, now it's only $130.

(numbers are only meant to be illustrative)
  • Reply 31 of 33
    xbitxbit Posts: 399member
    gwydion said:

The ones leaving are Northern Ireland, not Ireland. And a plausible (buit with low probability) scenario is Northern Ireland joining Ireland
    Northern Ireland won't be reuniting with the rest of Ireland any time soon. Unionists outnumber republicans by quite a margin at the moment. The majority of the population of Northern Ireland want to be part of the United Kingdom.

However, leaving the EU is going to a whole world of pain to Northern Ireland. It's the only part of the UK with a land border with an EU country and the peace agreements all rely on freedom of movement between the two countries.
    fastasleepargonaut
  • Reply 32 of 33
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 622member
    People living and working in the UK are getting paid the same next month and this month as they did last month and iPhone prices have not gone up.

Granted Apple will earn less profit on sales at the same price if the pound stays weak, but it's equally true to say there are people like me who have income and assets valued in EU or USD who are better off with a weak GBP. I know I've started thinking about MORE Apple upgrades for my kit than before the referendum,