Apple will double 'iPhone 7' minimum storage to 32GB - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    emoeller said:
    wood1208 said:
    Having efficient IOS, for most people's iphone usage, 16GB is fine but 32GB better.
    Agree, I have many friends that don't need all of the extra space.  Most stick with the built in apps and with last year's reduced iOS size and iCloud syncing they are fine with 16Gb.  I have 128Gb as I travel internationally (limited  or nonexistent cell access) and so I keep large work files (including large AutoCad data sets which I view with Turboviewer and display for clients using Airplay) and movies - so yeah for me I like/need more storage.   

But the amount of ink spilled and whining about how 16Gb being insufficient because other phone makers have all moved to more storage is crazy.  The 16Gb iPhone option provides a nice entry level option for many folks that is totally useable.
    Yes, the way folk bang on about it you’d think that Apple didn't make any other model.

But of course, when people say 'Apple should make 32GB the base model' what they really mean is 'I don't want to pay what Apple charges for 32GB/64GB/128GB memory.' 

I'd have more respect for these whiners if they were a little more honest.
    radarthekatchiabaconstangfastasleepstevehnolamacguynetmage
  • Reply 22 of 57
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member

TurboPGT said:
    Ok, but the fact is iOS has features today that actively optimize the local storage in favor of iCloud storage, so that a 16 GB phone can live the life of a phone with much more storage. One could accurately argue that 16 GB is MORE usable today than it was years ago.

Recently, the margins on 32 GB NAND flash came down enough so that Apple won't be giving up too much revenue by moving over to it...so now is the time.
    Forget about the best UX when there are margins to worry about! Glad to see Cook & Co. are focused on the important things. I was just with someone last night who couldn't take photos at the fireworks display because their phone was full (they have a 16GB model). Phones fill up fast (especially if people have Live Photos on and don't realize it - it's not that obvious). But hey if these rumors are true that's great for 64GB owners who will get another 64GB without having to spend more. :wink: 
    Has anyone noticed how the only ones complaining about 16GB of storage are not the ones experiencing the issues themselves? I'm not calling you out but there really are millions of 16GB users or there that either don't care or don't have a storage problem. And if you ask the vocal ones complaining about Apple being greedy and ignoring user experience for the sake of higher margins, they all say that they just upgraded to more storage and don't have any issues themselves. Then why don't they shut up?
    baconstangstevehnolamacguynetmage
  • Reply 23 of 57
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    customtb said:
    Assuming that puts the 128 at a $100 upgrade? 256 for $200?
    Nope. Look at iPad Pro price scheme: $150 to jump tier!
    netmage
  • Reply 24 of 57
    karmadavekarmadave Posts: 369member
    This would be a welcome development in that a) 16GB is inadequate and b) there is no uSD memory expansion slot. Of course, I am not privy to Apple's supply chain but I would think supply of 32GB memory chips might have something to do with this switch...
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 25 of 57
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Good.

Now, give every device some reasonable amount of iCloud space (5GB? 10GB?) if you really want that service to take off in a meaningful way.
     Remind me how giving away worthwhile services like iCloud helps them take off? 

They already include a reasonable amount of space for free, for anybody that wants to get serious with it, they can pay for it. That's called business. 
    radarthekatbaconstangfastasleepmacgui
  • Reply 26 of 57
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    wigby said:

Forget about the best UX when there are margins to worry about! Glad to see Cook & Co. are focused on the important things. I was just with someone last night who couldn't take photos at the fireworks display because their phone was full (they have a 16GB model). Phones fill up fast (especially if people have Live Photos on and don't realize it - it's not that obvious). But hey if these rumors are true that's great for 64GB owners who will get another 64GB without having to spend more. :wink: 
    Has anyone noticed how the only ones complaining about 16GB of storage are not the ones experiencing the issues themselves? I'm not calling you out but there really are millions of 16GB users or there that either don't care or don't have a storage problem. And if you ask the vocal ones complaining about Apple being greedy and ignoring user experience for the sake of higher margins, they all say that they just upgraded to more storage and don't have any issues themselves. Then why don't they shut up?
    Yes, I did notice that. My aunt owns 16GB iPhone 6 and she never ever needed more than half of that. I know for a fact she only has standard apps and a facebook and using her Mac for mails so the base storage perfectly suits her. People do have choices depending on their needs, it's only becoming a problem when they're expected to pay more for it NOT that the base storage is only 16GB.

baconstangfastasleepnolamacguyradarthekatnetmagejmc54
  • Reply 27 of 57
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    wigby said:

I'm sure there's a reason for it, and I'll bet it's hard to pronounce.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    Good.

Now, give every device some reasonable amount of iCloud space (5GB? 10GB?) if you really want that service to take off in a meaningful way.
    What good is a service "taking off in a meaningful way" if it makes zero profit for its provider?  I think $1/month is pretty darn cheap for 50gb.  Adding $25/year for MusicMatch, for a measly $75 over a 2 year period, I have basically erased all storage concerns for my 2 base-config iPads and 2 base config iPhones (how much did that save by not upgrading their storage?!) *and* I can share that stuff (photos, music, etc) with my Macs and Apple TV to boot!

The only time I feel 16gb is "not enough" is when I'm on an airplane and can't access my music library - or when I'm at some function where I need to take lots of pictures and can't wait for iCloud to move stuff for me (how the he11 do I tell iOS to remove all local copies of photos/videos but retain iCloud version???)
    baconstangnolamacguy
  • Reply 29 of 57
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    wood1208 said:
    Having efficient IOS, for most people's iphone usage, 16GB is fine but 32GB better.
    It's really not. You lose 4GB off the top to formatting and the OS's needs. Factor in 4k video and high resolution photos, increasing app sizes...it gets tight quickly.
    And such usage is outside "most people's" usage patterns.

Not outside yours, perhaps, but you're not "most people".
    baconstangnetmage
  • Reply 30 of 57
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    They better. ;)
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 31 of 57
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    wigby said:

Or maybe they just don't visit and comment on tech blogs/sites. 
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 32 of 57
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    This alone will be a large incentive for users to upgrade to "iPhone 7". 
  • Reply 33 of 57
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,338member
    Phil Schiller no doubt cried his eyes out over that decision: "Can't we keep 16GB for just another year?" When Apple skimps, you know its Phil. The difference between 16 and 32 these days is pennies. The reason Phil is still king of marketing is because he can milk us like none other!
    lord amhran6Sgoldfishrogifan_newdasanman69TurboPGT
  • Reply 34 of 57
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    tjwolf said:
    What good is a service "taking off in a meaningful way" if it makes zero profit for its provider?  
    You apparently don't have a clue about where Apple's profits come from, do you?
    netmage
  • Reply 35 of 57
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    jkichline said:
    Good.

Every device gets 5 GB free and that doesn't include photos or music/video purchased from iTunes.
    Additional cluelessness from the knee-jerk downvoters on this forum (feel free to downvote this one too, please! My self-esteem is not dependent on it, I can assure you). 

My iCloud account has five Macs and 11 iOS devices associated with it. You think I get 80GB? Educate yourself: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6847864?start=0&tstart=0

---

Add: Nah, let me help you. 
    Posted on Apr 24, 2016 8:13 PM

Q: iCloud do I get 5 gigs of iCloud storage for every device I own and if so, do I have to have a different apple iCloud for each

. by deggie,

edited July 2016 dasanman69netmagecopelandcnocbui
  • Reply 36 of 57
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    It's all written down on a road map in the safe behind Tim Cook's desk, all according to design.  

This company knows what they are doing.  Wait until the pain is acute, then relieve it, just enough.  

And that philosophy, in every aspect of each Apple product, plays to Apple's environmental bent; provide as much computing capability as needed to deliver the features and user experience over a projected lifespan of each model, with a battery just big enough to give that 10-hours of use we've become accustomed to.  This minimizes material use while also minimizing energy required to daily recharge all those 100s of millions of iPhones and iPads.  In aggregate, that adds up, perhaps to a few less power plants needed in this world.

And it doesn't hurt to keep down the bill of materials costs, and give consumers incentive to upgrade, knowing their old phones won't soon, or ever, end up in a landfill, as they will first go on to a second and even third owner, and ultimately to land in the grip of LIAM, to be disassembled and recycled.
    My 16Gb iPhone currently has 4.2Gb free. My use case is different from tha App Happy people who seem to always be complaining about the storage limits.
    For a fair percentage of iPhone users 16Gb is fine. Just my experience and opinion so that's not worth a bent penny.
    baconstangradarthekatTurboPGTnetmage
  • Reply 37 of 57
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

Nothing is going to change, as far as whining is concerned. There will always be people like me for whom nothing is enough. I have a 128GB iPhone and I recently got an alert that I couldn't record video since I was out of space.

I have a 3TB Fusion Drive in my iMac and got a "low disk space" warning a couple of month's back. This even when I have a 3TB Time Capsule that I use as additional storage (rather than for back-ups)

It's not just how much space the device has. It really boils down to how you manage it. One poster said they were with someone who couldn't record the 4th of July fireworks because they ran out of space. I'm pretty certain that someone will run out of space even with a 32GB model.

It's easy to blame Apple and say they are very frugal with space, but users should also ensure they use the space responsibly.

I'll pick-up a 256GB model this year. I'm sure I'll run out of space by mid next year.

baconstangthedbadasanman69TurboPGTnetmage
  • Reply 38 of 57
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    jdw said:
    Phil Schiller no doubt cried his eyes out over that decision: "Can't we keep 16GB for just another year?" When Apple skimps, you know its Phil. The difference between 16 and 32 these days is pennies. The reason Phil is still king of marketing is because he can milk us like none other!
    "The reason Phil is still king of marketing is because he can milk us like none other!"

That's as much the consumers' fault as it is his.
    6Sgoldfishdasanman69baconstang
  • Reply 39 of 57
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    TurboPGT said:
    It's really not. You lose 4GB off the top to formatting and the OS's needs. Factor in 4k video and high resolution photos, increasing app sizes...it gets tight quickly.
    Ok, but the fact is iOS has features today that actively optimize the local storage in favor of iCloud storage, so that a 16 GB phone can live the life of a phone with much more storage. One could accurately argue that 16 GB is MORE usable today than it was years ago.

Recently, the margins on 32 GB NAND flash came down enough so that Apple won't be giving up too much revenue by moving over to it...so now is the time.
    Cloud storage is not a substitute for onboard storage.  You really are reaching to suggest that it is and that it therefore makes 16GB OK.  If I want to use data my carrier will charge me €1 for 100MB in a day and then €1 for each MB I use over that amount.   The costs associated with cloud storage can be significant.   I am often in places where phone reception is marginal and data transfer rates only possible in the Kbps range, making any notion of Cloud storage laughable.
    6Sgoldfishdasanman69
  • Reply 40 of 57
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    jdw said:
    You know Phil's bonuses are based on how much he can upsell. That's why storage is 16 > 64 and now will probably be 32 > 128. Of course people in the mid-tier get extra storage without having to pay more but that just shows how much margin Apple has to play with at the higher end.
    dasanman69