Subnotebook? Should Apple try?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    [quote]Originally posted by BlueJekyll:

<strong>I don't think they need it. Maybe a thinner version of the iBook would do, but that would be it. I think the iBook is plenty small...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe because you are big that's why you think ibook is small. I think iBook is ok, but certainly not small. There is alot of room for iBook to become even smaller. e.g take out the optical drive,little bit smaller screen, and lose some weight. Yeah you are not going to burn CD or watch DVD with this thing, but in exchange it's much easier for you to carry it around, and use it whereever you go, on a Train, on a plane, even standing somewhere.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Apple will not produce a full-featured computer without an optical drive of some sort. You may not use it often, but the one time you need it, you'll wish you had it.

I could see a PDA obviously with no optical drive, but I think in that case Apple is more likely to create a PalmOS machine, and dump a fortune into developing some killer Palm apps.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Welcome to Darwin:

<strong>Apple will not produce a full-featured computer without an optical drive of some sort. You may not use it often, but the one time you need it, you'll wish you had it.

I could see a PDA obviously with no optical drive, but I think in that case Apple is more likely to create a PalmOS machine, and dump a fortune into developing some killer Palm apps.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Or, they could just make a subnotebook and ship it w/an external CD or a docking station that has the CD and extras built in, like some sony viao systems have.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Yet Another Registration:

<strong>&lt;snipped&gt;

Would a subnotebook make sense? Or is the non-Japanese world just not ready?

Finally, as for the article that led me here, follow this <a href="http://slate.msn.com/?id=2067557&device="; target="_blank">link</a>.

ting5

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: Yet Another Registration ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd love to see an updated version of the PB 2400. Alas they're not going to make it for me. What percentage of total computer sales do subnotebooks represent? If Apple owned that market segment what would it do for their overall market share/bottom line? I think they figure the iBook is probably close enough.

[ 07-04-2002: Message edited by: fantastic happy dinner man ]</p>
  • Reply 25 of 25
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    wow, if apple is going to dump fortune developing Palm Apps they might as well make their own PDA OS. Palm OS is far far far far from perfect, last time I check it kinda suck too.

Anyway, CD-Rom is really not that important in your day to day life, how often do you need to get info. from CD? A Computer without a CD drive doesn't mean it's not full featured. Honestly I only use it when I play games, or play DVD/VCD, and I probably won't be doing any of those when I am not at home. Also there are alot of things I wish I had it when I need it too, e.g. floppy, printer, a right clickable mouse, a microwave, and the kitchen sink.

iBook is far from the subnotebook category, it is barely a small notebook.

[ 07-04-2002: Message edited by: ihxo ]</p>