iPhone 7 and Apple's next Retina Display frontier: Wide Color

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,144member
    I used my "Color Assist" app on the logo while my 5K display is set to the "Wide Gamut" profile.
    On the edges (not the logo) it comes up as "Orange-Red" or "International Orange".  The logo section as "International Orange".
    Going back to the "iMac" profile, everywhere on the square the app considers it "Red (RYB)".  Which is how it looks on my 5s (no logo).
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 42 of 64
    Says its an orange square, looks red on my screen.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,479member

OK, something must be up with that square image, it's pretty disheartening.

I can see it on both my Galaxy devices but not on my iPhones.

From left to right: Galaxy S5, S4, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6.

Hmm, maybe this has to do with OLED displays.
    The square image on the left definitely looks more orange than the rest of squares on the right. 

Again, I think the benefits of "color profile" is exaggerated. It is only obvious when you do photo editing, not the actual display of colors at a given moment. It's like with RAW files - you can only see 256 tones of each color but a RAW file contains over a thousand possible tones which in turns gives you much more lattitude to adjust exposure and color but it doesn't change the fact that at a given moment, it's still a display showing only one of the 256 possible tones. 
  • Reply 44 of 64
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    jenman27 said:
    ...am I the only one who sees that box as being red? Viewing it on my iPhone 6...
    I, too, see it as red on both my iPhone 6s and iPad Pro (9.7). 

As the article pointed out, I am able to see the logo on my iPad.
    I'm able to see the logo on my iPad Pro 9.7" as well, but I can also see it on a rather ordinary HP notebook from 2014. Do desktop browsers render the picture differently?
  • Reply 45 of 64
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Viewing on the HP 2475w IPS reveals the Webkit logo darker RGB as f10000. The box as eb3100.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    I'm not sure what
    ...am I the only one who sees that box as being red? Viewing it on my iPhone 6...
    I don't know why he said orange. Downloading and color sampling it shows rgb values of 255,0,0. It would be a pretty wacky gamut if that corresponded to orange rather than red. Some other parts of the article are also a bit misleading (also this is very informal). If you're modeling a color space, you have some assumed illuminant type. You can depict brightness range or contrast ratio using the minimum achievable and maximum achievable values that could be displayed simultaneously on that display. Usually when people refer to gamut, they're thinking of the ability to display highly saturated colors, which aren't really the same thing.
    argonaut
  • Reply 47 of 64
    People can go back and forth all day about whether their display shows the logo or not and why, but that's not the point.

iOS has color management. Android does not. Samsung has a gimped system that people think is color management when it's not.

If anyone wants to display accurate color images on mobile then right now it's the iPad Pro 9.7". And likely the iPhone 7. That's the only choices you've got.
    topper24hoursbaconstangpscooter63nolamacguyargonaut
  • Reply 48 of 64
    As a photographer, I appreciate a wider colour gamut but I hate this trend towards everything appearing in VIVID Colours.
    I want realistic colours not over saturated crap. TV and Print media are mostly a lost cause. Many sites on the internet are moving to display everything in Vivid.
    As someone who was part of a team that developed some graphics cards back in the early 1980's we debated colour gamuts long into the night. Currently, Adobe-RGB and S-RGB are the most common ones in use today.
    I applaud Apple in looking at improving this. However, they can't do this alone. The display manufacturers and software makers need to be in on the game.
    I use a Dell 4K external Monitor on my MBP when working in Photoshop. Adobe need to support the new colour gamuts and so do the display makers.
    Just having one bit that does not support it and it is a waste of time.
    I'd like to know what Apple are doing to include the likes of Adobe etc in on this.
    Just don't default everything to Vivid please. The real world does not consist of Oversaturated Reds, Blues and Greens.
    baconstangbrometheuspalomineargonaut
  • Reply 49 of 64
    foggyhill said:

No but it's a valid point to bring it up since the image is used as an example.

Calm down, btw.
    No it's not, it provides essentially no explanation. it's not a point (except maybe a data point); more like a non sequitur..
    You can also see it if your device's color profile is completely off (though then all your other colors will be totally off).
    That was ALSO the case for many early Samsung phones and even now those colors are still off in their large GAMUT setting
    (So double chance of seeing it).

And say calm down to your own children/pet and spare me your condescending pap.

IF YOU DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO TELL YOU TO CALM DOWN THEN DON'T SHOUT. Nothing to do with being condescending unless you're easily offended.

No, I know you'd like to believe it's because the color settings are off but that's not the reason... it has more to do with the setting.

After reading your post about color profile I went into the settings of my Galaxy phones because I remember they have the following two features:
    1. Screen mode - which is sort of a color profile settings thing. It has dynamic, standard, movie, and adaptive mode. My phones were in the adaptive mode which changes the colors based on current light conditions.  If switched to Dynamic or Standard the colors are more vivid but I can no longer see the image in the red box. But in adaptive (indoors low light) and movie mode I can and I've noticed the color temperature is lower (warmer).

2. Reading mode - which removes the blue light from apps you designate, similar to Apple's Night Mode. It really makes the screen warm but the strange thing is it has no effect on being able to see the image in the red box.

So long story short, that red box image definitely seems to respond to color gamut changes and not just temperature.
    edited July 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 50 of 64
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    it looks red to me......
  • Reply 51 of 64
    foggyhill said:
    No it's not, it provides essentially no explanation. it's not a point (except maybe a data point); more like a non sequitur..
    You can also see it if your device's color profile is completely off (though then all your other colors will be totally off).
    That was ALSO the case for many early Samsung phones and even now those colors are still off in their large GAMUT setting
    (So double chance of seeing it).

And say calm down to your own children/pet and spare me your condescending pap.

IF YOU DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO TELL YOU TO CALM DOWN THEN DON'T SHOUT. Nothing to do with being condescending unless you're easily offended.

No, I know you'd like to believe it's because the color settings are off but that's not the reason... it has more to do with the setting.

Don't have to "like to believe" anything. Android does not have color management. Neither does Samsung. Wide gamut does not equal color accuracy. Samsung OLED displays have a wide gamut, but no ability to do color management on their devices so you have no way to know if an image is being displayed properly. It might show the differences between two colors (like the image in this article), but that in now way means it's accurate.

foggyhill was 100% correct in his original post. And the poster he replied to was a brand-new troll, so to call them out is also 100% valid. Why are you so upset when a long time member on AI calls out a new account (which we see here on a daily basis)?
    ai46pscooter63baconstangargonaut
  • Reply 52 of 64
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    So, I looked at this article on the following:
    iPhone 6S+ 9.3.2 - red box
    iPad Mini 4 9.3.2 - red box
    rMB OS X - red box
    Nexus 6P Android 6 - red box with logo.
    Note 5 Android 6 - red box with logo

So, what is so special about this?  Wider Color?
    Does this mean that Apple has been deliberately constraining the color before this?
    lord amhran
  • Reply 53 of 64
    So, who are the two cowards who downvoted my FACTUAL statement that Android lacks color management?

I guess the truth really hurts some people. Enjoy your oversaturated OLED displays that lose color accuracy over time due to the different rates of organic compound breakdown.
    pscooter63nolamacguyDan Andersenfoggyhillargonaut
  • Reply 54 of 64
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    people will downvote for crazy unknown reasons. I had a post where I just stated I've had many excellent years out of my 2011 iMac with SSD, which was on topic for the thread, and got downvoted. okaaaay..
    brometheusargonaut
  • Reply 55 of 64
    I see it easily on my iPad Air 1 but not at all on my iPhone 4s or Thunderbolt display. Which surprises me because the color difference on the iPad seems significant.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    rhonin said:
    rMB OS X - red box

Does this mean that Apple has been deliberately constraining the color before this?
    OLED has a wider gamut by default, but also TERRIBLE color accuracy on phones. Having both a wide gamut AND a totally off profile means you'll see the logo probably in the wrong color. Since content up to now was all sRgb, all videos will show in the wrong colors; pretty good though for creating a colorful striking UI.
    That's the mode people often used (used to be the default and probably still is).
    Samsung also has their own factory calibrated sRgb mode that has a much better color accuracy but still far from perfect with less contrast, brightness and since its srgb colors are also constrained.. It's not bad though and people should probably use that if they're not addicted to garish.

If your phone's color profile is way off, even a cheap phone will show the logo.
    Doesn't mean your seeing the RIGHT colors.
    edited July 2016 baconstangargonaut
  • Reply 57 of 64
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    netrox said:
    I am seeing red box too... not orange.
    I see scarlet box. Does it depend on my monitor, my eyes (which are different from any one else), or just simply that I learned that to call this color so. And somebody else might even not know the name of that color.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 58 of 64
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    I see a logo inside on my iPad Pro 9,7. The question is if the picture is the same on different devices. It's easy to recognise the device and display different pictures depending on the device.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    foggyhill said:
    rhonin said:
    rMB OS X - red box

OLED has a wider gamut by default, but also TERRIBLE color accuracy on phones. Having both a wide gamut AND a totally off profile means you'll see the logo probably in the wrong color. Since content up to now was all sRgb, all videos will show in the wrong colors; pretty good though for creating a colorful striking UI.
    That's the mode people often used (used to be the default and probably still is).
    Samsung also has their own factory calibrated sRgb mode that has a much better color accuracy but still far from perfect with less contrast, brightness and since its srgb colors are also constrained.. It's not bad though and people should probably use that if they're not addicted to garish.

If your phone's color profile is way off, even a cheap phone will show the logo.
    Doesn't mean your seeing the RIGHT colors.
    http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S7_ShootOut_1.htm   
    edited July 2016 singularity
  • Reply 60 of 64
    Says its an orange square, looks red on my screen.
    "Red" vs "orange" can depend on at least a couple factors:
    1) Our own individual, subjective definition of what constitutes "red" or "orange"
    2) The way our eyes balance their sensitivity based on the dominant color(s) in our field of view. There are some great optical illusions based on this fact.
    edited July 2016