Review: Synology's DiskStation DS216j offers affordable yet advanced network storage

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member

irnchriz said:
    polymnia said:
    Since this is a third party (non-apple) product, it seems entirely appropriate to review this in a less in-depth fashion than you might find on synologyinsider.com

Looks like the domain is available.

Instead of complaining, perhaps you could get to work and produce the kind of content you feel is missing?
    Why are you sticking up for this piss poor excuse for a review?  If they want to review an item do a proper review not a gorified summary. If I was running a website and doing reviews then, Yes I would write a better review but that's not my job. It is however the job of the staff at Ai to perform this function.  Unless they are going to do a proper review they really shouldn't bother.  I still think this is a free advert to get a synology box for free though.  LOL. 
    You are right, your job is not writing for AI.

Your job (as of the time you commented) is being a commenter on a tech blog.

I'd say you have failed in your task, modest as it was, to write constructive commentary.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    xixoxixo Posts: 451member
    I've had a DS212j since 2012 and gotten great use out of it. I paid $249 for it, which is a single drive. $169 for dual drive is incredible bargain.

I have extensive experience with Synology and DSM in commercial and home environments. for an intranet control system it's awesome.

here's clarifying various things:

rums much faster with SSDs if you can cost-justify and storage-justify that.
    you cannot attach an external USB drive and make it part of the RAID array, but you can back up to it
    you can set up a VPN server that allows you secure remote access to your LAN and files
    you can set up two DS216j units at two different locations and have directories on one cloned to the other
    you can sync a cloud based server (google drive, etc) with a DSM directory so that your cloud content is constantly backed up locally, and vice-versa
    you can host websites and web applications (LAMP) on it and it works pretty well for this for small workgroups
    you should not set it up to apply updates automatically - DSM OS software is notorious for crashing stuff on upgrades - check the forums before upgrading
    don't expose it to the open internet - place it behind a firewall and use the VPN feature to access things securely
    you can host drupal, WordPress and other CMS and wikis on it for intranet use
    it's a very nice time capsule backup device
    synology support is not so great, but their forums are excellent
    there is a raging mod scene running the DSM os on unauthorized hardware
    if you're comfortable with SSH / telnet you can customize settings that are not available in the DSM UI but software updates will usually reverse those edits

most general Mac and iStuff users would find this very useful. some of you pro-level folks might be underwhelmed, but for a general file and media server it's pretty nice. I have 3TB of movies and music on mine.

edited July 2016 argonaut
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Been using Synology cases for some time. Not a news and author starts following smallnetbuilder.com website to write articles like that. 216j is not a revolution - it is evolution of few previous models that were outperforming Time Capsule consistently.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    pascal007pascal007 Posts: 121member
    Well I'm looking for a real review and comparison of the various NAS available. Know where I could read one ?
  • Reply 25 of 25
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    pascal007 said:
    Well I'm looking for a real review and comparison of the various NAS available. Know where I could read one ?
    I assume you can't be troubled to google for yourself. But I'm happy to indulge your obtuse request:

http://www.storagereview.com/consumer/soho_nas