New video shows alleged 'iPhone 7' casings in silver & space gray

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2016
Adding to an ever-growing set of parts leaks, a video uploaded on Thursday purports to show the rear casings of two "iPhone 7" units, apparently in line with designs seen elsewhere.

The new casings -- originally posted to Weibo, and highlighted by TechTastic -- are in space gray and silver, and include expected touches such as relocated antenna bands, plus enlarged camera lens openings with their edges extruded from the shell itself, rather than fitted with a separate metal ring as on the iPhone 6s.

At the bottom of each shell are twin speaker ports, supporting widespread claims that Apple is abandoning 3.5-millimeter headphone jacks in favor of Lightning and Bluetooth audio.

If authentic the casings also support the notion that Apple is sticking with the current shade of space gray, instead of turning to a darker shade more closely resembling the iPhone 5.

Apple is expected to ship two iPhone 7 models this fall, most likely in September. Unseen in the new video is the 5.5-inch "Plus" model, which is anticipated to have a dual-lens camera and possibly a Smart Connector.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Black would've been nice... rats. Oh well, the camera, battery, processor and OS will be sick. Good bye and good riddance horizontal antenna bands. You will not be missed. 
  • Reply 2 of 15
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    I find the metal ring on the current iPhones to be much nicer than the pucker on the alleged leak photos. The former is reminiscent of a precision instrument, the latter is reminiscent of a wart, quite literally. Maybe it's not as bad in real life, and maybe it's not a real leak. But I am curious about the larger hole--I hope this is indicative of a big step up in camera quality (although I don't have a lot of complaints with the current one, apart from a lack of optical zoom/telephoto).
  • Reply 3 of 15
    levi said:
    Black would've been nice... rats. Oh well, the camera, battery, processor and OS will be sick. Good bye and good riddance horizontal antenna bands. You will not be missed. 
    No one has ever seen the antenna bands because 99% of users have their iPhone in a case.  My iPhone 6 Plus is already black because it is in the Apple black leather sleeve case, since day one.  It is really a non-issue when cases are common for phones.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    I like how they changed the colour of the antennae bands to match the colour of the case (if these are indeed real products) 
  • Reply 5 of 15

I find the metal ring on the current iPhones to be much nicer than the pucker on the alleged leak photos. The former is reminiscent of a precision instrument, the latter is reminiscent of a wart, quite literally. Maybe it's not as bad in real life, and maybe it's not a real leak. But I am curious about the larger hole--I hope this is indicative of a big step up in camera quality (although I don't have a lot of complaints with the current one, apart from a lack of optical zoom/telephoto).
    It is obviously fake.  Apple would not switch to a 'wart' design (love your analogy).  The current design allows the camera module to be easily replaced with the least amount of labor and cost.  Apple won't change that.  My camera in my iPhone 6 Plus was replaced in 45 minutes at the Apple Store during the recall of the defective camera.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

It is obviously fake.  Apple would not switch to a 'wart' design (love your analogy).  The current design allows the camera module to be easily replaced with the least amount of labor and cost.  Apple won't change that.  My camera in my iPhone 6 Plus was replaced in 45 minutes at the Apple Store during the recall of the defective camera.
    I dunno seems like in the past 3-4 years almost every leak that people thought was fake ended up being accurate.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    levi said:
    No one has ever seen the antenna bands because 99% of users have their iPhone in a case.  My iPhone 6 Plus is already black because it is in the Apple black leather sleeve case, since day one.  It is really a non-issue when cases are common for phones.

True, I have a black leather case too. At the same time, my 6S Plus is the Space Grey model and the antenna lines merge in nicely. It's mainly the Gold and Rose Gold where the lines stick out jarringly.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    The BACK of the phone isn't what I look at when I'm using mine. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 9 of 15
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    I find the metal ring on the current iPhones to be much nicer than the pucker on the alleged leak photos.
    Exactly my thoughts.

retrogusto said:
    The former is reminiscent of a precision instrument, the latter is reminiscent of a wart
    Only with better phrasing.  B)
  • Reply 10 of 15
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    jfc1138 said:
    Oh come on if this was from anyone else everyone here would be complaining about how ugly it looks. 
  • Reply 11 of 15
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    jfc1138 said:

Wonder if people who complain about bands and camera bumps, things they hardly ever look at, realize how stupid the complaints really are.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 12 of 15

I'm not sure what you base your "least amout of labor and cost" analysis on.  You still have to open the phone to remove the module no matter what design you use.  I'd argue that the current (rumored) design makes it easier as you can remove the entire module without having to remove the outside ring.
    edited July 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Personally I think the new larger design is for the OIS housing, which the 7 is rumored to have.  That addition trumps any personal design preferences that you may have.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    jfc1138 said:
    Oh come on if this was from anyone else everyone here would be complaining about how ugly it looks. 
    When you see the back of the 6-series vs competing phones, it still holds up because they have a consistent design language where others use inconsistent embellishments, shapes and materials, a lot of the time the purpose being to mimic Apple's latest style. The new iPhone design will be an improvement over the current model:

The lens ring on the iPhone in real life is about the same thickness as the head of a pin (~0.5mm), it's less pronounced in real use than in photos:

It stands out because of the contrast with the back. It has 4 separate surface directions so it catches highlights, especially with flash photography. Using a concave fillet edge has a different appearance and it creates more of a gradual transition. It would have a matte appearance instead of shiny stainless steel so it also has diffused highlights:

That may or may not be better than the ring but in evenly lit environments like outdoors, the color matching would make it stand out less and make the camera seem less stuck onto it and more part of the enclosure. Stainless steel would be harder to chip though. The camera sticking out is a problem every phone manufacturer faces, it's not unique to Apple. Some make the whole phone thicker, some do all sorts of different tapering:

I don't think anyone complained about the iPhone 5 being too thick (it was a massive improvement over the dual glass plated iPhone 4 at almost 2mm difference) and that's pretty much the cause of the camera bump:

The whole phone got thinned out and the camera didn't go with it. I don't think it would make much difference to the bulk if it was 0.5mm or so thicker and you also get an extra ~14% battery. It would look more like this:

They wouldn't even have to go entirely flat, they could do it enough to be able to get away with a truncated cone ring with a low gradient, like an inverted home button.

Sometimes I think Jony Ive might have handed the design of the iPhone on to someone else. They hired Newson for a reason:

It won't be total detachment or total engagement with each product but Jony Ive can only focus attention on so many aspects by himself and Newson won't be paid just to sit around the place, same with the other industrial designers. Jony made it clear he wanted to spend more time with his family and it's a long commute to the office. As long as he retains overall approval of what goes out, that'll be ok.
    edited July 2016