'iPhone 7' preorders rumored to kick off on Sept. 9

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2016
Following up on a report regarding the supposed launch date of Apple's next-generation iPhone, noted industry blogger Evan Blass on Wednesday said the company is looking to start preorders for the device on Friday, Sept. 9.

Blass reported the supposed "iPhone 7" preorder date through Twitter without attribution. Last week, the blogger claimed Apple's next iPhone would ship out to stores the week of Sept. 12, or more specifically by Friday, Sept. 19.

"Confirmed: Pre-orders start on the 9th. You can extrapolate the launch event date from there," Blass' tweet reads.

The timeline is believable considering Apple in 2015 announced iPhone 6s on Sept. 9, opened preorders three days later on Sept. 12 and shipped out units a week later. Deliveries were initially scheduled to arrive on Sept. 25, though some lucky buyers received the device a few days early.

Apple traditionally opens preorders the Friday after a new iPhone is announced, suggesting this year's introduction might land on Tuesday, Sept. 6, or Wednesday, Sept. 7.

Unlike previous "tick-tock" iPhone product cycles, Apple this year is expected to carry over the device design language introduced in 2014 with iPhone 6. In lieu of a redesign, the company will reportedly incorporate updated internals like a faster processor, enhanced camera modules and, perhaps, the deletion of iPhone's 3.5mm headphone jack. Apple supposedly made the decision to stick with existing aesthetics as it waits for more advanced technology to mature.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
     Last week, the blogger claimed Apple's next iPhone would ship out to stores the week of Sept. 12, or more specifically by Friday, Sept. 19.

"Confirmed: Pre-orders start on the 9th. You can extrapolate the launch event date from there," Blass' tweet reads.

Two things, the 19th is a Monday - the Friday is the 16th.

Secondly, this is just saying they will ship the phone at the usual time. My contract on my iPhone 6 expires on the 16th of September this year, so there really isn't any surprise here.

palegolas
  • Reply 2 of 10
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    June 29th, 2007 was the date the very first iPhone was released. Maybe next year's 10th anniversary model will also be released on the same date. 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ready to pre-order two top of the line iPhones for the wife and myself,
    jahblade
  • Reply 4 of 10
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    i don't recall Apple ever scheduling the iPhone event in the week immediately following Labor Day.  I think they haven't wanted to force the press to be traveling to Cupertino either immediately after the Labor Day weekend or even on the Sunday of.  That would not engender positive feelings, and travel costs would be more expensive.  Plus I think Apple smartly lets the press get back into the office and into the swing of things for a week following the long weekend and the summer season before inviting them to travel to Cupertino.  

And that leaves two possibilities apart from their usual routine.  First, Apple could hold the event prior to Labor Day.  I doubt they will do this; it's the summer lull still and reporters will be winding down for the long weekend, so coverage could get delayed or given less effort than Apple would like.  The second possible deviation from the norm is that Apple holds the event later in the week following Labor Day, say Wednesday the 7th or Thursday the 8th.  If the goal is to capture more orders and ship more units in the quarter, this would help.  But if Apple is ready with higher inventory this year, then they could hold the event as they usually do and still have time to fulfill orders with time to spare in the month.  

One thing that does suggest Apple might want to get an early start, though, is that Apple closes its quarters on the last Saturday of each quarter, which this year means the 24th.  That's earlier than the last several years; from 2012 forward that has fallen on the 29th, 28th, 27th, and 26th.  So maybe Apple will switch things up in some manner this year, especially if their guidance for the quarter is to be believed.

Also note that this year is the first since calendar 2011 Q4 (which was Apple's fiscal 2012 Q1 and the first full quarter of iPhone 4S shipments), that the holiday quarter will contain 14 weeks.  Analysts and pundits conveniently ignored this the following year when comparing fiscal 2013 Q1 profits to fiscal 2012 Q1 profits, which were flat year over year, regardless how much I shouted in their ears that the same profits in 13 weeks compared to 14 weeks actually equated to a 7.7% increase in profits, when normalized.  But you can be sure this year they will be fully cognizant of the extra week, won't bother doing any further math, and will proclaim that any additional units sold or profits achieved are due entirely to the extra week.  I can see the headlines now, APPLE SAVED BY EXTRA WEEK IN HOLIDAY QUARTER, or some such.
    edited July 2016 tmaystantheman
  • Reply 5 of 10
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    i don't recall Apple ever scheduling the iPhone event in the week immediately following Labor Day.  I think they haven't wanted to force the press to be traveling to Cupertino either immediately after the Labor Day weekend or even on the Sunday of.  That would not engender positive feelings, and travel costs would be more expensive.  Plus I think Apple smartly lets the press get back into the office and into the swing of things for a week following the long weekend and the summer season before inviting them to travel to Cupertino.  

And that leaves two possibilities apart from their usual routine.  First, Apple could hold the event prior to Labor Day.  I doubt they will do this; it's the summer lull still and reporters will be winding down for the long weekend, so coverage could get delayed or given less effort than Apple would like.  The second possible deviation from the norm is that Apple holds the event later in the week following Labor Day, say Wednesday the 7th or Thursday the 8th.  If the goal is to capture more orders and ship more units in the quarter, this would help.  But if Apple is ready with higher inventory this year, then they could hold the event as they usually do and still have time to fulfill orders with time to spare in the month.  

One thing that does suggest Apple might want to get an early start, though, is that Apple closes its quarters on the last Saturday of each quarter, which this year means the 24th.  That's earlier than the last several years; from 2012 forward that has fallen on the 29th, 28th, 27th, and 26th.  So maybe Apple will switch things up in some manner this year, especially if their guidance for the quarter is to be believed.

Also note that this year is the first since calendar 2011 Q4 (which was Apple's fiscal 2012 Q1 and the first full quarter of iPhone 4S shipments), that the holiday quarter will contain 14 weeks.  Analysts and pundits conveniently ignored this the following year when comparing fiscal 2013 Q1 profits to fiscal 2012 Q1 profits, which were flat year over year, regardless how much I shouted in their ears that the same profits in 13 weeks compared to 14 weeks actually equated to a 7.7% increase in profits, when normalized.  But you can be sure this year they will be fully cognizant of the extra week, won't bother doing any further math, and will proclaim that any additional units sold or profits achieved are due entirely to the extra week.  I can see the headlines now, APPLE SAVED BY EXTRA WEEK IN HOLIDAY QUARTER, or some such.
    interesting on the analysis of "Apple closes its quarters on the last Saturday of each quarter". Apple should lead and do away this kind of non-sense and stick to real calendar quarter. We are living in a digital age.
    lmagoo
  • Reply 6 of 10
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    I don't get the rumour about an iPhone 8 in 2017. it is the 10 year anniversary but the rest of the news is about how people are upgrading less frequently.  
  • Reply 7 of 10
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    mubaili said:

interesting on the analysis of "Apple closes its quarters on the last Saturday of each quarter". Apple should lead and do away this kind of non-sense and stick to real calendar quarter. We are living in a digital age.
    From the standpoint of booking orders, or shipping, the last Saturday of the month would be a logical end of quarter, and because we do live in a digital age, Apple can do pretty much whatever they want as long as it meets financial regulations.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    I do need a replacement, but I won't preorder as I have a store nearby and I'm willing to wait a few weeks to see how the early bugs shake out. All else being rumored and now accepted as happening, it would be nice to have some "surprises" announced.

My expectations are that Apple has done its homework on imagining and the iPhone 7 Plus shows some major innovation with impressive results.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    I wonder what those 3 dots are on the back of the Plus model in the picture? 
  • Reply 10 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    maclvr03 said:
    I wonder what those 3 dots are on the back of the Plus model in the picture? 
    Smart Connector, same as the new iPads.
    TurboPGT