Apple bolsters 'Project Titan' self-driving software team with former QNX CEO

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    VChile123 said:
    Except Apple didn't integrate tvOS into Samsung and LG TVs; they have their own box which is completely independent from the TV. When has Apple ever successfully been a piece of technology in someone else's product? For the most part CarPlay is just projected UI from the iPhone. But what if Apple's play was to build vehicles for ride sharing services? I think attempting to work with existing automakers is just a hedge in case their own vehicle ambitions don't pan out.

Yes, it's difficult to imagine Apple as only a cog in the machine of anything, including cars. But I also wonder how Apple can sell an entire hardware/software ecosystem in this space, given Tesla's growing skill sets in building across different automobile price points and types of automobiles, and their infrastructural leverage in buying Solar City.
    Although Apple has far more capital to play with, Musk has to essentially "bet the company" every time a big decision is made. His decisions are far more aggressive because Tesla has to be more aggressive to survive.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    crowley said:
    When has Apple ever successfully been a piece of technology in someone else's product? 
    iTunes for Windows?
    iTunes for Windows is an abomination. A success despite itself.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    crowley said:
    iTunes for Windows?
    iTunes for Windows is an abomination. A success despite itself.
    Well running on an abomination doesn't help.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    crowley said:
    When has Apple ever successfully been a piece of technology in someone else's product? 
    iTunes for Windows?
    That's a software application and was specifically built to sell more Apple hardware. I'm talking about B2B stuff; Apple is primarily a B2C company