Microsoft lays off 2,850 more people in continued retreat from phones

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Rayz2016 said:

cnocbui said:
    I don't understand Nadella at all.  He talks multi-platform then deliberately destroys their capability in terms of phones, an entire platform, the ones where future developments and growth are most likely to be and arguable the most important platform.  I can't see how he isn't actually worse than Ballmer.

How can you talk multi-platform and then get rid of one?

Hey world, remember that upgrade path from 8.1 to 10 we promised you several times, well that isn't going to happen because I just fired everyone who works for us who worked on phones so you won't have to worry about future OS upgrades anymore because there won't be any; clever, non?  Now I have more good news for you - before I got rid of the phone guys, I had them run up a bunch of new phone models I think are really exciting..... hey!  Where are you all going?  Why are you leaving?  These are really good, and you won't have to bother with an OS upgrade ever again... Come back.... please... I don't understand...

Hhmph.

The last five years at Microsoft summarised into three paragraphs. Quite sad really.

Nadella knows what he's doing; he just can't tell anybody yet. Microsoft is going all out cloud. They're settling back into a back-seat tech role where they can make money on services and subscriptions. It happens to all tech companies eventually. 

And one of the early symptoms is when news of product launches is replaced by news of complex financial engineering. 
    So, I'm guessing it has already happened to Google with their Alphabet soup thing ;-).
  • Reply 22 of 32
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    Rayz2016 said:

cnocbui said:
    I don't understand Nadella at all.  He talks multi-platform then deliberately destroys their capability in terms of phones, an entire platform, the ones where future developments and growth are most likely to be and arguable the most important platform.  I can't see how he isn't actually worse than Ballmer.

How can you talk multi-platform and then get rid of one?

Hey world, remember that upgrade path from 8.1 to 10 we promised you several times, well that isn't going to happen because I just fired everyone who works for us who worked on phones so you won't have to worry about future OS upgrades anymore because there won't be any; clever, non?  Now I have more good news for you - before I got rid of the phone guys, I had them run up a bunch of new phone models I think are really exciting..... hey!  Where are you all going?  Why are you leaving?  These are really good, and you won't have to bother with an OS upgrade ever again... Come back.... please... I don't understand...

Hhmph.

The last five years at Microsoft summarised into three paragraphs. Quite sad really.

Nadella knows what he's doing; he just can't tell anybody yet. Microsoft is going all out cloud. They're settling back into a back-seat tech role where they can make money on services and subscriptions. It happens to all tech companies eventually. 

And one of the early symptoms is when news of product launches is replaced by news of complex financial engineering. 
    I wouldn't bet on that: I actually think MS is doubling down on hardware, at the very least with the Surface Pro / Surface Book lines

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/05/27/surface-head-panos-panay-talks-the-death-and-rebirth-of-laptoptablet-hybrid/

"“Let me be clear. Our intent is to compete in the very premium market… We look at Apple as a key competitor to the Surface product line and that’s how we think about the product line. We want to give our customers more options in the premium space,”"

All they need is an iMac competitor to round out their line:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2016/07/microsofts-surface-team-continues-their-work-on-their-future-imac-competitor.html
  • Reply 23 of 32
    sflocal said:

When clients/friends/family I know that want to buy a non-Mac system, I have zero problem recommending Win10 now.  It's still a Windows system with all the PITA problems a Windows system is known for, but it is easier to use imho.

What issues are you having with Win10?
    Let me see...
    1) the Spyware, sorry feedback to MS to improve the user experience (cough-cough)
    2) updates when MS wants you to have them. We have already seen the Weather forecaster and the upgrade
    3) the inevitable pay monthly in order to get updates
    4) Lock screen adverts
    5) Metro
    6) Installation of software that you never asked for
    7) More adverts on the way

Do I really have to go on?
    baconstangAni
  • Reply 24 of 32
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    sflocal said:

When clients/friends/family I know that want to buy a non-Mac system, I have zero problem recommending Win10 now.  It's still a Windows system with all the PITA problems a Windows system is known for, but it is easier to use imho.

What issues are you having with Win10?
    Let me see...
    1) the Spyware, sorry feedback to MS to improve the user experience (cough-cough)
    2) updates when MS wants you to have them. We have already seen the Weather forecaster and the upgrade
    3) the inevitable pay monthly in order to get updates
    4) Lock screen adverts
    5) Metro
    6) Installation of software that you never asked for
    7) More adverts on the way

Do I really have to go on?
    I don't know where you got three from.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    They still sell phones?
  • Reply 26 of 32
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    They still sell phones?
    No, but they still try to sell phones.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    red oak said:
    MIcrosoft completely missed smartphones.  Truly remarkable how badly they screwed this up. I don't see how they are not F**** for the next 20 yrs
    How they sell computers let alone phones is beyond me.  I use Windows 10 a lot and it truly is awful compared to OS X ... oops pardon me, macOS. :smile: 
    Well, actually, they don't sell computers, only the software for them.  They'll be able to sell Windows forever because of all the business applications that are locked into it.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    R.I.P. Windoze Phone.  
  • Reply 29 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    How they sell computers let alone phones is beyond me.  I use Windows 10 a lot and it truly is awful compared to OS X ... oops pardon me, macOS. :smile: 
    Well, actually, they don't sell computers, only the software for them.  They'll be able to sell Windows forever because of all the business applications that are locked into it.
    I know what you are trying to say but to state Microsoft don't sell computers?  Really?  What decade did you write that in? Oh wait, are you saying the 'Surface' isn't a computer?  
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Rayz2016 said:

Hhmph.

I wouldn't bet on that: I actually think MS is doubling down on hardware, at the very least with the Surface Pro / Surface Book lines

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/05/27/surface-head-panos-panay-talks-the-death-and-rebirth-of-laptoptablet-hybrid/

"“Let me be clear. Our intent is to compete in the very premium market… We look at Apple as a key competitor to the Surface product line and that’s how we think about the product line. We want to give our customers more options in the premium space,”"

All they need is an iMac competitor to round out their line:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2016/07/microsofts-surface-team-continues-their-work-on-their-future-imac-competitor.html
    Yes, but MS also tried to sell phones. There is a big difference between making products and convincing people to buy them. 
  • Reply 31 of 32
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    sockrolid said:
    So is Elop still around?
    Or did he get a golden parachute?

of course he did, he was sent into Nokia to set up the deal from the other side which open the door to allow MS to buy Nokia's cell phone business. You know he got paid big buck to do this deal. The problem is MS screwed themselves on the process. They thought they could buy themselves into the business.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    sflocal said:
    It's actually a shame.  I would take a Windows phone over an Android phone any day.  At least Microsoft designed its own OS as apposed to Android's iOS knockoff.
    What's really sad is that Microsoft (Ballmer) really screwed the pooch on this opportunity.  They did a blunder as bad as PalmOS.  Honestly, I think they just don't have the talent needed to make a stellar mobile OS and ecosystem.  Being an engineer for Microsoft just isn't as glamorous to a potential candidate as it would be working for Apple or Google.

Still, that being said... I guess Microsoft should be having one of these events for its phone business?

I think they actually did stellar mobile OS... efficient, reliable and different... but it came too late. I'm still using Lumia 920 as my personal phone - my phone requirements are modest - and it works as well as it did 4 years ago. Windows 8 and 8.1 Mobile updates didn't cripple it like iOS6 did to my iPhone 3Gs, back in the days. Microsoft did reverse on Windows 10 Mobile support for my phone, and while it was disappointing, realistically I'd rather have well optimized Win 8.1 than poorly optimized Win 10 on that phone, and I understand that MS doesn't have much motivation in spending resources to otimize new OS for 4 years old hardware that must be in serious decline - not that it was ever too popular to start with.

I don't think they are out of phones business, though. There is a lot of activity in Windows 10 Mobile development in 2016. First UWP apps have started to appear in app store, and they look and work quite nice - those that I use at least - big improvement over previous releases. My work phone also happens to be WinPhone, but newer - Lumia 830 - so I'm getting all the W10M and UWP goodies there. Frankly, I'm quite impressed with development activity, and OS has gone from barely usable to as stable as 8.1 ever was. In 6 months, and pretty much monthly updates.

I do expect MS to shift focus from consumer to business segment. One must play cards one is dealt with, and MS strengths are in their business ecosystem - Exchange, SQL, SharePoint... HP has already announced Elite X3, "corporate phone" which comes with hardware features that enterprise has ear for - TPM, hardware based encryption (I think?) etc. Platform already has core apps for business - mobile Office and Outlook, Skype for Business, reasonably robust RDS client. X3 is playing on these cards with both desktop dock and mobile laptop enclosure, and while it might look pointless, this can do really well for environments heavy on thin clients and RDS, where one device can be quite good desktop thin client, mobile laptop thin client and smartphone. One device that reduces costs associated with multiple devices and also requires much less maintenance than conventional laptops and desktops.

On consumer side of business, I'd bet on MS going for Apple's "hobby" approach - if they choose to proceed. Lumia 950 duo was last Nokia DNA in terms of design, next one - IF there is next MS made smartphone - will be made by Surface team, and should differ from previous Windows phones. Same with Surface tablets, MS will not aim for blitzkrieg - which would be unrealistic, anyway - but for template device to set standards and try to steer OEM in right direction. Considering success of Surface effect - number of convertibles that follow it's formula is quite big and growing - same approach with phones could work, long term.