Apple CEO Tim Cook, VP Lisa Jackson to host Clinton fundraising event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2021
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook and Vice President of of Environment, Policy, and Social Initiatives Lisa Jackson are holding an event for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton's "Victory Fund" on Aug. 24.
Cook is hosting the fundraiser as a private event, and not an Apple-sponsored one. In a show of bipartisanship by Cook, the gathering follows June's fundraiser for Republican Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, a representative from Wisconsin. Apple itself has no in-house political action committee, and generally remains neutral in politics. Apple CEO Tim Cook has supported both Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and Republican Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, but not Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump. The invitation, seen by BuzzFeed, requests contributions at $2,700, $10,000, or $50,000 per head. An address for the event will be provided to contributors closer to the event's date. The Hillary Victory Fund is a joint fundraising committee supporting 33 state Democrat committees, the Democratic National Committee, and the Hillary Clinton presidential campaign organization. The fund is controversial, with an independent analysis in April finding that less than one percent of $61 million was ultimately retained by the state parties' efforts. Even though Cook personally held the fundraiser for some Republicans, the company did not support the Republican National Convention over candidate Donald Trump's comments on minorities, women, and immigrants. However, AppleInsider has learned that Apple supported the Democratic National Convention with a traditional loan of hardware, as it has made to both parties for previous conventions. Besides making politically charged remarks about minorities and others, Trump has been critical of Apple itself. Trump has promised to force Apple to manufacture its products in the U.S. instead of overseas. In February, he suggested a boycott of Apple products unless it assisted the Department of Justice and the FBI to unlock the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone 5c. Despite the boycott call, Trump continues to use Apple products, most recently a MacBook Pro during his post-nomination "ask me anything" on Reddit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I am sorry giving money to politician should be made 100% illegal, I do not care what people say, politicians lack any ethics to say they do not let the money influence what is right to do.
    patchythepiraterobintoshtrollkillermac_dogrhonincwingravskelington
  • Reply 2 of 57
    Tim supports the woman excused by the guy who tried to f*ck him on encryption.

But that's cool, vote for somebody amazed by balloons.

edited July 2016 bdkennedy1002SpamSandwichapple ][robintoshrhonintallest skilnikon133JanNL
  • Reply 3 of 57
    hudsonbhudsonb Posts: 4member
    Apple should stay out of politics... Supporting a crooked woman and her philandering husband is nauseating.
    SpamSandwichmobirdmacseekerapple ][patchythepiraterobintoshtrollkillerrhoninlibertyforalltallest skil
  • Reply 4 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I say this a strong Tim supporter ...  For heaven't sake AI don't post these click bait type articles it bring down the entire tone of the blog.  Not the article itself but the moronic comments.  It simply attracts and promote divisiveness and brings out the nut jobs.
    edited July 2016 kent909ai46cintossuddenly newtonmac_dog
  • Reply 5 of 57
    hudsonb said:
    Apple should stay out of politics... Supporting a crooked woman and her philandering husband is nauseating.
    Well, it's not as bad as it would have been to support a philandering man and his plagiarizing wife.
    anantksundaramsingularityai46cintospbrstreetgronnjfc1138baconstangcwingravdasanman69
  • Reply 6 of 57
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Tim supports the woman excused by the guy who tried to f*ck him on encryption.

But that's cool, vote for somebody amazed by balloons.

Um.... http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/tim-cook-apple-paul-ryan-fundraiser-224554

Where does he stand on encryption?
    pbrstreetgronncwingrav
  • Reply 7 of 57
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    hudsonb said:
    Well, it's not as bad as it would have been to support a philandering man and his plagiarizing wife.
     :D 
    pbrstreetgronnbaconstangcwingrav
  • Reply 8 of 57
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

hudsonb said:
    Or a lightweight like Paul Ryan....
    apple ][pbrstreetgronn
  • Reply 9 of 57
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    We have survived 44 presidents, both Republican and Democrat. I am sure we will survive #45.
    apple ][ronndasanman69
  • Reply 10 of 57
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

I say this a strong Tim supporter ...  For heaven't sake AI don't post these click bait type articles it bring down the entire tone of the blog.  Not the article itself but the moronic comments.  It simply attracts and promote divisiveness and brings out the nut jobs.
    I'm sympathetic to your view, 'cause it's always painful to watch. A disgrace, usually.

But it is part of the Apple story, because Steve Jobs founded a world-focused company that required an inclusivist (is that a word?) like Tim Cook to run it.

No way could Tim stay out of this election, where we have a candidate who seems against every social and business value that Apple stands for. 

singularityai46propodcintospbrstreetgronnmac_dogbaconstangcwingravAni
  • Reply 11 of 57
    kent909 said:
    We have survived 44 presidents, both Republican and Democrat. I am sure we will survive #45.
    It'll be a little harder since 44 in particular has been a proponent of the "Pen and Phone" doctrine, with loving sycophantic support from his fellow progressives, allowing him to do whatever he wants regardless of Constitutional limits. 

It's rather hilarious to see the left wetting themselves now that they fear Trump doing the same thing their own godking did.  

And that's the problem with most people in this country; the worst excesses are excusable as long as it's "their guy" doing it. Indeed, those same bedwetters await Hillary violating the Constitition with bated breath. 

Meanwhile, constitutional conservatives like me are left without any option in this election, yet again. 
    edited July 2016 mobirddunestockSpamSandwichtallest skilskelington
  • Reply 12 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    US politics sucks eggs—like most countries. If law of the land limited individual donations to $1,000 per annum and made it illegal for companies to donate within 10 years lots of corruption would be cleaned up. Things wouldn't be perfect by this move, but they'd be better than now.
    pbrstreetgpatchythepirateration albaconstangAni
  • Reply 13 of 57
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    I don't think Steve would be a happy camper with Cook's behavior. Steve probably has rolled over a couple of times...
    tallest skil
  • Reply 14 of 57
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Apple should do what Google did with Eric Schmidt. Make Tim Cook Chairman and have someone else run the company. Tim could do all the things he likes and someone else would be CEO and responsible for product strategy and getting stuff out the door. Give the job to Schiller or Jeff Williams or maybe bring someone in from the outside.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 15 of 57
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Well she managed to get Max Headroom to appear on stage with her, so that has to count for something. 
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Limiting individual and corporate donations to $1000 is a great idea, but not something that we will see traction on. The choice of candidates this year is like picking which eye to get poked at with a stick.
    tarfungoration almac_dog
  • Reply 17 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Look at all of these filthy rich liberals supporting that corrupt to the bone, establishment candidate, whose main accomplishment seems to be that she is a woman. Sad.

edited July 2016 dunestockmwhiteirelandtallest skil
  • Reply 18 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Looking at the picture with the balloons, it seems as if Bill finally woke up. He was nodding off and sleeping during parts of his wife's speech earlier. Video is on youtube.

Age has finally caught up with both Bill and Hillary, and I don't just mean their numerical age, because other candidates are far healthier. I think that there's something wrong with Hillary, and they are clearly hiding her sickness from the rest of the world. Covering it up, just like countless email scandals and everything else that they deliberately conceal. 
    dunestocklibertyforalltallest skil
  • Reply 19 of 57
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    hudsonb said:

Apple isn't in politics. It didn't say Apple is holding a Clinton fundraising even...it said Tim Cook was. Tim is welcomed to do what he wants with this spare time just like you and I. I don't think you actually read the article, but rather just the headline and posted. 
    ration alpbrstreetgronnmac_dogjfc1138baconstangAni
  • Reply 20 of 57
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

mobird said:
    I don't think Steve would be a happy camper with Cook's behavior. Steve probably has rolled over a couple of times...

Please don't start this Steve Jobs would have done this shit...nobody knows what Steve would have done or how he'd feel. Besides...who really gives a $hit what Steve would be thinking. He's gone...get over it! 
    edited July 2016 pbrstreetgronnbaconstangAni