First video of functional Lightning EarPods hits the web

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 62
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    Soli said:
    Also the EU  commission doesn't see that Apples proprietary solution is worrying due to its low market share in the EU.
    I don't recall that being correct. I recall a provision specifically being placed that would allow a company to use a proprietary connector type they wanted in their device providing the PSU had a detachable cable with a USB-A port, which Apple had been doing already for a very, very long time.
    yup you are right 
    until a regulation/directive has been written and ratified then its all up in the air.  Apples current solution is that and has worked, it allows them to keep lightning or any further connector types and be compliant. The big weakness in any EU legislation is how long it takes to get through. The report on the voluntary MoU 2014 was just considering USB-C as a connector/solution. I think they may have just finished considering the wheel lol
  • Reply 62 of 62
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    I don't recall that being correct. I recall a provision specifically being placed that would allow a company to use a proprietary connector type they wanted in their device providing the PSU had a detachable cable with a USB-A port, which Apple had been doing already for a very, very long time.
    yup you are right 
    until a regulation/directive has been written and ratified then its all up in the air.  Apples current solution is that and has worked, it allows them to keep lightning or any further connector types and be compliant. The big weakness in any EU legislation is how long it takes to get through. The report on the voluntary MoU 2014 was just considering USB-C as a connector/solution. I think they may have just finished considering the wheel lol
    I don't know about anyone else, but I've been using Apple's PSU's for years, and for a wide range of devices, usually with a USB-A-to-micro-USB cable attached. I prefer the iPad PSUs (10W?)for the common areas since they charge faster.