First look: Brooklyn celebrates the grand opening of its first Apple Store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I heard they are giving free "ironic" tattoos away with the purchase of a new iPhone. I know hipsters are clones and posers but I prefer them over tourists. 
  • Reply 22 of 36
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    larrystar said:
    What a disappointment, this has got to be one of the ugliest stores I've ever seen from Apple. I live in Brooklyn and have been waiting for a store for a long time. It doesn't make it exciting to go here it looks like some kind a thrift store.
    Have to agree. 

Though the the bottom half of the store is typical Apple, they really neglected the ceiling and lighting. That part looks like poop. 

Hopefully they address that. 

The details matter and it definitely lost that special feeling by not taking care of that. Should have not pinched too many pennies. 
    I'm amused that people think Apple neglected anything. Clearly this is the look they were going for..
    doozydozenstshockleyzoetmb
  • Reply 23 of 36
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    mejsric said:
    its so Brooklyn
    So is everything else in Brooklyn. 

Apple let has its own look and feel. If it just blends in, it's lost it's way. 
    I think Apple has made it pretty clear that store designs are going to reflect the communities they're in and respect local architecture. I don't want every Apple Store to be cookie cutter this is what an Apple Store looks like. 
    pscooter63ronnzoetmb
  • Reply 24 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    larrystar said:
    What a disappointment, this has got to be one of the ugliest stores I've ever seen from Apple. I live in Brooklyn and have been waiting for a store for a long time. It doesn't make it exciting to go here it looks like some kind a thrift store.
    There’s term for your ilk. Debbie Downers.
    ai46magman1979zoetmb
  • Reply 25 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Man this place is full of the most negative whiners in the goddamn universe. I bet you people don’t get invited to many parties do you? You’d probably bitch about the cheese dip.
    edited July 2016 ai46magman1979
  • Reply 26 of 36
    larrystar said:
    They certainly spared no expense on this store.  
  • Reply 27 of 36
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    larrystar said:
    ???  Shouldn't it match its surroundings? Is there a business code in Brooklyn?  
  • Reply 28 of 36
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    Unlike this comment space, the Brooklynites inhabiting this new Apple Store seem very happy and content.

Obviously Apple is (not) doomed™ with it's stale iPhone design, out of date MacBook Pros, MacPros and portless retinal MacBooks that all you people endless whine about.  And the upcoming loss of the out of date headphone jacks.

Whine on and on and on.  It is time for all of us to leave our parents' basments.
    magman1979zoetmb
  • Reply 29 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    netrox said:
    That building looks so un-Apple. Apple is known to be light, clean, minimalistic and free of clutter.
    I think they consult with city governments to come up with a design that works for the locale.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 30 of 36
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Honestly, I find it refreshing that a company as large as Apple actually take the time to blend their design ethos with the local asthetic in order to preserve the look and feel of the area they move into.

I've seen them do this many times in many regions, and I'm all for it!

Personally, I find this brick design with the industrial, unfinished ceiling rather appealing, it shows some character.
    zoetmb
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Thank god for the interesting architecture, otherwise it would be just another ugly new Apple Store. From a distance all the new stores look like cafeterias. Huge space with tiny product hardly visible on all the wood tables.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    If it was a glass cube you guys would be praising how it "breaks from the norm".

spice-boy said:
    I heard they are giving free "ironic" tattoos away with the purchase of a new iPhone. I know hipsters are clones and posers but I prefer them over tourists. 

Please this joke is old. Seriously who's stupid enough to think that a company as big as Apple only sells to hipsters?

1 billion iPhones sold to hipsters.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    All the stores in New York are quite unique designs that fit within their respective neighborhoods. Anyone know who the architect is? Is it Bohlin Cywinski Jackson?
    http://architizer.com/blog/apple-architecture/

• Reply 34 of 36

Bad luck apple. Opens store the same month the L train 18mo shutdown is announced...

• Reply 36 of 36
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    JacobVR said:

Bad luck apple. Opens store the same month the L train 18mo shutdown is announced...

So what?   This store is for people who live near there.  No one in their right mind would take the L train from Manhattan to go to this store when there are much easier to get to stores in Manhattan in SoHo, 14th Street, Grand Central, Lincoln Center and the Upper East Side.  Someone from the Bronx would go to Manhattan.   Someone from Queens would go to the Apple store in the Queens Center Mall or go out to Long Island.   And even from most other parts of Brooklyn, it's probably easier to go to Manhattan than to Williamsburg, even when the L train is running.

Besides, the L train isn't shutting down until January of 2019.    And in the end, I think that there will be pressure put on the MTA to keep it running, but just not into Manhattan.  It will run between Bedford Avenue and Canarsie. And if that doesn't turn out to be the case, they'll be running additional ferries to North 6th street, 7 blocks away.   The closest train stop is 4 blocks away anyway.