Apple partner Didi Chuxing to buy Uber China for $1 billion

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    I just meant in general. Doesn't Goog own part of uber? Therefore they'd get some money from the deal of part of the %20 from Didi royalties?
    Anything?
    No I don't think so. AFAIK Google Ventures, which isn't Google proper, put up some seed money and start-up advice when Uber first began and may still be an investor now. 

EDIT: Thanks Cali, it turned out to be a great question. I'd been thinking Google Ventures was a separate Page/Schmidt/others company, apart from Alphabet. I'm wrong.
    Recode has a lengthy article about who they are and what they do.
    http://www.recode.net/2015/12/6/11621176/google-ventures-owns-part-of-several-unicorns-but-the-biggest-and

and a very recent one where Google Ventures says Uber is their most valuable investment.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2016-04-01/google-ventures-ceo-uber-is-our-largest-investment

Looks like GV owns %2 if I read correctly but also bumping into Goog via maps and self driving cars. Seems interesting
  • Reply 22 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    The Chinese have now opened an antitrust investigation into the deal. I'm sure AI has more to come on this. 
  • Reply 23 of 25
    gatorguy said:
    The Chinese have now opened an antitrust investigation into the deal. I'm sure AI has more to come on this. 
    Antitrust is a concern in China? How about Chinese government ownership stakes in nearly every business that operates there. Talk about conflict of interest and collusion.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    Antitrust is a concern in China? How about Chinese government ownership stakes in nearly every business that operates there. Talk about conflict of interest and collusion.
    LOL!