Apple supplier Qorvo guides high for Sept. quarter, suggesting strong 'iPhone 7' orders

Posted:
in iPhone
Qorvo, a supplier of RF components to Apple, is offering strong guidance for the September quarter that hints at a healthy "iPhone 7" ramp and possibly even the phone shipping a week earlier than usual, an analyst claimed on Wednesday.

The company is guiding revenue forecasts over $100 million higher than Wall Street consensus, noted Wells Fargo's Maynard Um in a memo seen by AppleInsider. That's said to imply a sequential growth of 19 percent -- stronger even than the 15 percent seen with the iPhone 6 launch in 2014. It's also higher than fellow Apple supplier Skyworks' guidance for the September quarter, pointing to a 10 to 11 percent increase.

Um cautioned that it's difficult to gauge how important Apple's contribution will be to Qorvo, since factors like demand from Chinese phone manufacturers could be driving up revenue as well.

The performance of Apple suppliers has become unusually significant in 2016, since the "iPhone 7" lineup has sometimes described as another interim refresh ahead of more important 2017 models. If so, Apple might decide to keep production levels modest.

Other suppliers have provided mixed signals. While some have posted positive results and forecasts, Foxconn chairman Terry Gou reportedly told staff to expect weak iPhone sales until early 2017.

A recent rumor indicated that new iPhones will ship on Sept. 16, which would be roughly one week earlier in the month than 2015's iPhone 6s launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    I think any projections are highly contingent on how the the audio jack issue plays out. 

If the audio jack rumors are true, then Apple had better have an incredibly compelling argument for why removing that jack is good for users. I want to believe that they will have such an argument... but if they don't, it will be a disaster. 
  • Reply 2 of 13
    blastdoor said:
    I think any projections are highly contingent on how the the audio jack issue plays out. 

If the audio jack rumors are true, then Apple had better have an incredibly compelling argument for why removing that jack is good for users. I want to believe that they will have such an argument... but if they don't, it will be a disaster. 

I think you are overly concerned about the audio jack issue -- there are several compelling reasons to abandon the current jack:
    • Better waterproofing
    • Better (thinner) design flexibility
    • Reduced internal space
    Apple could mitigate any potential issues by including/offering an adapter for those who need it.  

I suspect that Apple will continue to provide earbuds with the iPhone (with the appropriate jack)

Finally, 2 years from now this will be a non-issue!

roundaboutnowcintosTurboPGTchabigfotoformatlmagooDeelrondysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 13
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    blastdoor said:

Waterproofing?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    "Um cautioned that it's difficult to gauge how important Apple's contribution will be to Qorvo, since factors like demand from Chinese phone manufacturers could be driving up revenue as well. " Interesting: when suppliers point to a downturn, its always Apple's fault regardless if they are only 27% of a given company's business.
    Deelron
  • Reply 5 of 13
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    blastdoor said:

No one will even notice, let alone care. Do you really not understand the market at all? Let me explain it to you then.

99.9% of iPhone buyers, that use headphones to listen to music on their iPhone, use the EarPods that ship with them. Apple will continue to ship, people will continue to use, life will continue uninterrupted.

The only people that think this even matters are the fringe of the fringe, who overpaid for expensive analog headphones, that don't sound any better than cheap analog headphones and don't want to acknowledge that such tech is dead, and they are among the only people dumb enough to spend money on keeping that business alive.

All of the profits in the current headphone industry are in wireless headphones. Why do you think that is? There is no market left for overpriced wired analog headphones.

Oh and lets not forget, the 100 different times Apple has abandoned a dead legacy technology that "is on every existing device in the world", which is "sure to be a disaster", and of course is not a disaster at all, the boldness of it gets them nothing but free press and more sales, and then within a year the tech they abandoned is dead and the rest of world is rushing to catch up.

But no, please...go on about removing the headphone jack is a disaster. It will make for hilarious reflection down the road.
    drewys808
  • Reply 6 of 13
    lmagoolmagoo Posts: 49member
    Turbo,

One point you obviously don't get is the current HP market....There are way better headphones (yes you can hear the difference) than the EarPods.  Hell they have $4000 HP's that can be used with an iPhone....they sound way better when they have their own HP amp but none the less your position on current HP technology is out of date and wrong...

And yes the Lightning port can provide a higher quality audio (it's digital and needs to be converted to analog) signal than the dead small HP jack.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I like John Gruber's analysis best for the headphone issue (though it does not seem to have appeared in supply chain rumours yet). His guess would be that the next logical step is to go wireless and including wireless earbud in the box. I could imagine Apple putting a big campaign into losing the cord and how being tied down by a cord is not cool. Apple Insider just reported that wireless headphones just beat out wired in market share. I just purchased wireless bose and they are great. Beats also has new wireless lineup. The other benefit of this per Gruber, is that with wireless, you don't waste the lightning jack for charging and other uses by blocking it with headphones. On the supply chain front, I have seen the photo on Apple Insider of a pretty nice looking analog to lightning adaptor that is a small, flexible cord.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    blastdoor said:

I think you are overly concerned about the audio jack issue -- there are several compelling reasons to abandon the current jack:
    • Better waterproofing
    • Better (thinner) design flexibility
    • Reduced internal space
    Apple could mitigate any potential issues by including/offering an adapter for those who need it.  

I suspect that Apple will continue to provide earbuds with the iPhone (with the appropriate jack)

Finally, 2 years from now this will be a non-issue!

There's plenty of room to make the phone thinner without removing the jack. 

Waterproofing is a good feature, but can it only be achieved by removing the jack? Samsung claims waterproofing without removing the jack. Now, I don't take Samsung claims very seriously, but Apple will need to clearly and decisively demonstrate that the iPhone 7 is much more water resistant than other phones if they want to use that as a reason for removing the jack. 

I'm skeptical that the saved space will result in enough extra battery life to warrant the loss of such an essential feature as compatibility with all existing headphones. 

Adapters suck. If everyone needs an adapter for basic functionality, then removing the jack is a terrible decision. I have no objection to including one for free, but it should be a bonus feature, not a necessary feature. 

To me, a compelling case for removing the audio jack needs to be centered on the best wireless audio experience ever offered in any smartphone. Maybe that's bluetooth 5 combined with lightning pairing. Maybe it's achieved some other way. But the quality of the audio needs to be as good as AirPlay, the reliability of the connection needs to be almost as good as wired, and the pairing/charging process needs to be drop dead simple. 

Also, one way or another, wireless EarPods/ headphones/whatever need to be included with the purchase. One way to do this might be to directly include awesome wireless EarPods. Another way to do it would be to include a $50 credit that could be applied to the purchase of Apple/Beats wireless headphones, and the cheapest available option would be $50 (so, cheap headphones are effectively included for all, but those who want to pay for a higher quality experience can do so with part of the cost offset by this credit). 

But folks.... seriously... if it's just an adapter and/or some lightning EarPods, then this is going to get very ugly. 
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Apple sells luxury products to highly educated, high income customers. The same kinds of customers who buy expensive headphones. Apple paid a few billion dollars for a company that sells high-end headphones. 

Maybe you're the one who doesn't understand Apple's market. 
    TurboPGT said:
    blastdoor said:

No one will even notice, let alone care. Do you really not understand the market at all? Let me explain it to you then.

99.9% of iPhone buyers, that use headphones to listen to music on their iPhone, use the EarPods that ship with them. Apple will continue to ship, people will continue to use, life will continue uninterrupted.

The only people that think this even matters are the fringe of the fringe, who overpaid for expensive analog headphones, that don't sound any better than cheap analog headphones and don't want to acknowledge that such tech is dead, and they are among the only people dumb enough to spend money on keeping that business alive.

All of the profits in the current headphone industry are in wireless headphones. Why do you think that is? There is no market left for overpriced wired analog headphones.

Oh and lets not forget, the 100 different times Apple has abandoned a dead legacy technology that "is on every existing device in the world", which is "sure to be a disaster", and of course is not a disaster at all, the boldness of it gets them nothing but free press and more sales, and then within a year the tech they abandoned is dead and the rest of world is rushing to catch up.

But no, please...go on about removing the headphone jack is a disaster. It will make for hilarious reflection down the road.

• Reply 10 of 13
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    What a load of nonsense. This is like reading horoscopes for investment advise. Predictions of market success or failure on product that is completely unverified are still merely wild speculation. Even if the product was a completely known entity, predictions would still be crap. But we will still see stocks shift around like crazy with people thinking a wild speculation means anything. Gambling. Nothing but. Except that this gambling and speculation results in mob behavior, driving arbitrary valuation of entire companies to soar or crash for no reason. 
  • Reply 11 of 13
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    lmagoo said:
    Turbo,

One point you obviously don't get is the current HP market....There are way better headphones (yes you can hear the difference) than the EarPods.  Hell they have $4000 HP's that can be used with an iPhone....they sound way better when they have their own HP amp but none the less your position on current HP technology is out of date and wrong...

And yes the Lightning port can provide a higher quality audio (it's digital and needs to be converted to analog) signal than the dead small HP jack.
    You're the one that doesn't understand that the expensive analog headphone market is a SCAM. Do you know what a SCAM is? It's when ill-informed consumers are convinced that one thing is better than another, and is duped into paying a premium for it, when the real world differences in the products are negligible.

The audio jack is a bottleneck for quality. What comes out of it is shit compared to properly transmitted digital audio. So your choices on the wired analog headphone market are "Headphones that sound like shit for $19" or "Headphones that sound slightly better than shit for $399". At the end of the day, you are still being scammed. The choice of how much to be scammed out of is yours.

That's really all there is to it. It's time to stop propping up that dead technology, make portable digital audio common, and restart the headphone business around high quality digital audio.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    TurboPGT said:
    lmagoo said:
    Turbo,

You're the one that doesn't understand that the expensive analog headphone market is a SCAM. Do you know what a SCAM is? It's when ill-informed consumers are convinced that one thing is better than another, and is duped into paying a premium for it, when the real world differences in the products are negligible.

The audio jack is a bottleneck for quality. What comes out of it is shit compared to properly transmitted digital audio.
    Do you understand that all the audio you hear is analog, because your ears and brain are analog? 

I'm sorry if you've suffered some hearing damage and can't tell the difference between apple EarPods and $400 HPs but I can assure you that there is a difference. 

Perhaps you're confused by the difference between "lossless" encoding and 256 bit AAC. In that case, I agree that the difference is very difficult to perceive -- you have to be very sensitive to detect that.